FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Balanced Translocation and IFV w/PGD

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    JAZZYBOOBARBIE
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Balanced Translocation and IFV w/PGD

I am undergoing my 2nd IVF cycle w/PGD. I am so afraid that it will fail.
    Oct 2006 I gave birth to my 20 week baby boy (Philip) with a unbalanced translocation. My doctors have advise that my best option at conceiving a healthy child is through IVF but the process is torture and there are no guarantees. The failure rate is so high. I'm 31 and we've been married for 4 years with no child.. I feel the greatest void and my future seems so dim..The idea of never holding, loving, teaching our own children is heart breaking. If anyone has any advise or experience with translocations please write.

Thanks,
    JBB

2. Advertisement

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like

PG, MC and TWINS ment'd

I didn't have a balanced translocation, but I did have several pg losses due to unexplicable chromosomal anomalies. Using PGD was the last piece of the great mystery for me. It gave me exciting hope that I could conceive and carry a healthy pregnancy. In my first PGD attempt, they transferred 4 embryos (3 girls and a boy) and it resulted in a chemical pg (loss). In my 2nd PGD attempt, they transferred 4 girls and 2 stuck - my frat twin daughters... my success after many, many failures.

My thoughts? If there is any chance that the BT is replicable, then by all means, PGD is the way to go! Yes there is a risk of failure with IVF, but is the risk worthwhile if it means you have the opportunity to create a baby? Only you can answer that.

JAZZYBOOBARBIE
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much and congrats! I needed to hear a story of success from using IFV w/PGD. Your story gives my hope and encouragement through this journey. You never dream as a child that having children would be such an obstacle.

Tommorrow, I go for my first blood test & Ultrasound to see my follicles since I started the Lupron. The probe is ready for PGD. I'm just trying to find a way to relax..

Thx
    Barbie

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck!!

Brown Eyed Girl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

First IVF cycle w/PGD

New to this site, but trying to reach out to others with a balanced translocation. I knew I was a balanced carrier; got it from mom. My DH and I have been trying naturally for 9 years. After many MCs and DNCs, we learned about PGD. I am currently going through my first IVF cycle. I'm in the stimulation phase. I have renamed it checking the roast. I'm not done yet. I go to my RE on Friday to see about the progress. My first check was on Monday...nothing so they increased my dosage. I hope this Friday brings better news. It's kinda strange because my brother, who is also a carrier, has a normal daughter. Turns out the Robertsonian Translocation that we both carry affects the female much more than the male. Another reasone it's easier to be a guy.

anna7
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Balanced Translocation

I wanted someones opinion on IVF with PGD. I have just had my third miscarriage in less than a year. I found out after my second miscarriage that my husband has a balanced translocation. We also found out that he inherited this from his father. His mother had 4 boys without any miscarriages. We have a 50% chance every time we get pregnant. Luckily, I get pregnant easily. We have been given the option of IVF with PGD. I wanted to get an opinion from someone who has gone through this process.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brown Eyed Girl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

IVF w/PGD was for me

Hi! Your situation sounds just like mine only I was the one with the balanced translocation. My DH & I had 9 1/2 years of trying without a child. We went through IVF w/PGD and now I'm 12 weeks pregnant. It is well worth the money, shots and doctoring in my opinion. 8 embreyos were sent for PGD, 2 were "normal" and I have one little bean in the oven. It was our first round of IVF so we are very blessed. I hope you can get more replies to help you decide either way. I had to fight my insurance company so they would pay for the IVF part. They were trying to not pay for the IVF because it led to an experimental proceedure (PGD). However, I won that battle. The insurance covered the IVF portion, but not the PGD. Good luck in the future no matter what your decision is.

anna7
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Brown Eyed Girl

Thank you for your story. Congratulations! I am so happy for you. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about finding the right doctor? Also, how were you able to get your insurance to even pay for the IVF procedure? Do you live in a state where it is a law? Texas does not support IVF for insurance unless the company ops for it.
    Congratulations again!

henypeny
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can balanced translocation only be located with PGD? Can it be located with bloodwork? Sorry I am quite new to this. I have done karotyping bloodwork and that seemed normal for DH and me. Wondering what other tests can be done to check for chromosomes.

I have not been pregnant and not even miscarriage.
    Last edited by henypeny; 05-27-2008 at 07:51 PM.

anna7
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile information on PGD

Henypeny,
    To answer your question regarding IVF w/ PGD, this process is used for men and women who have been diagnosed with a balanced translocation or for men and women who are carriers for a specific genetic disorder. PGD means preimplantation genetic diagnostics. Please look it up on the internet. It can give you a step by step on how the procedure works.
    If you and your DH have both undergone kereotyping and both of you came back normal then more than likely you do not have a balanced translocation or any type of chromosome disorder. I am not aware if there are other tests to check for chromosome issues. I know that kereotyping is what my DH had to do and how we found out we had a BT. I would ask your endocrynologist if there are any other tests.
    I hope I was able to help. I wish you and your DH all the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast