FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How many women with balanced translocation?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jen_robt
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How many women with balanced translocation?

Most of what I can find usually is about male balanced translocations.
    How many women out here with a BT having undergone (or undergoing) IVF+PGD?

2. Advertisement

barbiesthoughts
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jen

Me for one! I am pretty sure that BT is spread equally between men and women. I think it is pretty much pot luck,

I am starting IVF with PGD next week. Our first IVF attempt. We had a beautiful baby girl born in May last year who lived for 5 days. She died cause of the UBT.

I imagine you have a story that goes along with finding out about BT.

A couple of threads down on this board there is a long discussion with other women with BT.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you like/ have questions.

Regards
    Barbara

ndrdickey
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jen and Barb,
    I have a balanced translocations. It is an inverstion of Chromosome 7. I just started looking at PGD with IVF. Barbra, where are you going to have yours done? Is your testing center a place that has done many PGDs? In the US it seems that there are very few that perform them. \
    I just had my 5th miscarriage and really don't know how many more losses I can go through,
    Last edited by ndrdickey; 02-17-2007 at 06:32 PM.

barbiesthoughts
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your 5 tiny ones not making it.

I'm going through Sydney IVF.

I am very happy with this company. I have looked at heaps of websites and Sydney IVF seems to have the most advanced technology for it. That is, they grow embryos till day 5 (blastocyst) and remove and test 4 - 5 cells from the outer rim that turns into the placenta.

All the other places i have researched do the test on 1 of 8 cells (day 3)

The research from Sydney IVF shows that the test is more acurate and the embryos are less damaged by doing the test on day 5. Look up the Sydney IVF website - they have good info on PGD. It might be worth asking around to see if anyone near you has adopted this technology yet.

I'm into my first cycle - day 4 of FSH if that means anything to you.

Fingers crossed. Hopin for some balanced or normal embies. At this stage it is pot luck.

Regards
    Barbara
    Last edited by barbiesthoughts; 02-17-2007 at 09:26 PM.

CdnMom
    has no status.
    it's yours to discover it's your.........
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a BT of chromosome 1 & 2.

I was very fortunate to conceive my 2 children naturally and carry to term with both of them. We did not pursue any treatment. I have had 6+ m/c's and I am very happy to say we are done.

My DD does not carry a BT but my DS does have a BT of the same chrosmomes as me.
    Michelle -- Momma to my A-Team
    Ashleigh 9 years old In a blink of an eye, my girl is growing up way too fast! Grade 4 here she comes ♥
    Aidan 5 years old old with a passion for movies & Severe Reflux starting Senior Kindergarten in Sept 2010♥
    6 m/c's and finally
    Our family is complete

OzMel
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I have a balanced translocation of 4 & 8..Of my 4 children, 2 carry the same bt..
    Had 9 m/c as pgd was not an option at that stage.

Mel

JAZZYBOOBARBIE
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, I too have a Balance Translocation (17, 11). We do not have any childlren and have had a still born birth. Currently, I am at the end of my ivf-pgd cycle. My embro transfer was yesterday, so now it's the waiting game for two weeks.

SH

latina227
    Optimistic
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I recently found out that I have BT of X and 4 which makes it very difficult for me to conceive. I feel like this has been a curse and I spent a fortune on IVF and was never tested. But, I will think positive and hope for the best!

Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry
    Latina- I am very sorry for your new diagnosis. Translocations are often looked for after several miscarriages. BT does not make it impossible to conceive, but it does limit the number of chromosomally normal embryos. You could do IVF with PGD. PGD would allow you to only transfer the embryos that are viable back to you. If you do not want to do the cycles to bank enough normal embryos, there is the option of donor eggs. (If you have any plans for a sibling in the future and want to use your own eggs, you would be wise to bank the embryos now with PGD. Age is a monster when it comes to fertility.)
    Me- 41 Secondary Infertility, Hydrosalpinx, DH- 26 No known defects
    My Own Eggs- IVF 10/12 BFN, IVF 12/12 BFN, FET 1/13 BFN, IVF 2/13 BFN
    Donor Eggs- IVF 4/13 Frozen Eggs BFN, IVF 7/13 Fresh Donor eSet BFN, FET 8/13 BFN; FET eSET 10/13 BFN; FET of 2 11/13 BFP, first beta 304, second 1106, third 10246 (5w4d pg) u/s shows ONE bean!

My blog - Normal People Don't Talk About This

rebelist
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a robertsonian translocation of chromosome 13. I can't remember if it's balanced or not but the genetic councillor has told me that I can't use my own eggs as they will all have the translocation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast