FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
MTHFR on Lovenox and natural childbirth

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Allshee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

MTHFR on Lovenox and natural childbirth

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and getting frustrated with my OB. I feel like I've gone to a million Dr.s and was confident after talking with my hematologist that a natural childbirth (no epidural, no c-section, etc) was not just possible but the best option for me. Now my new OB that backs up the midwives (I switched to a new practice because of their great midwives and the water birthing tub at the hospital) is trying to get me to have weekly non-stress tests and weekly ultrasounds and wrote on my chart that I was a high risk for a c-section. I've spent the last few months getting educated on natural childbirth and know that fetal monitoring greatly increases the risk of an unnecessary c-section. Does anyone out there know if there's any fetal growth issues or something that would need to be monitored so late in my pregnancy? I've been looking for some proof that what he wants me to do is necessary, but have only found problems that occur when someone is NOT on Lovenox and I have been on it since before I found out I was pregnant...

2. Advertisement

michelle123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Allshee- I also took Lovenox due to MTHFR during my pregnancy (DD is now 8 months.) My understanding is that even on Lovenox there is still some risk of plancental problems due to the MTHFR that could affect the growth. (I'm not sure how big the risk is- probably pretty slight.) I was also given weekly u/s starting at 34 weeks until I was induced at 38w5d. My high risk OB said they were doing them weekly at that point because if the placenta started to age too quickly they would deliver the baby. When I found out that I had to be induced, I was pretty upset because I was too hoping for a natural birth. I'm not sure why your OB thinks that you are a high risk for c-section, other than the increased risk due to an induction. Luckily, my induction worked without a c-section although I did have an epidural (I couldn't take those pitocin contractions!) For what it is worth, I was pretty worried about c-section risk and the induction, but at the end I was just happy to have a healthy baby and haven't had any second thoughts about it. My high risk OB did say that I could have a natural childbirth, but scared me into not doing it incase something went wrong and I needed an emergency c-section (and would have to be put under general therefore not being aware of the birth of my long awaited baby.) Congratultions and I hope you can convince your OB for a natural childbirth.

sus40
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    can i ask the two of you what kind of mthfr mutation you have, and if it's homo or heterozygous?

i have one hetero mutation and was only put on folgard, i'm wondering if that's enough.

thanks

michelle123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one A and one C mutation. I took all the vitamins, baby aspirin, and Lovenox with a positive beta.

shef
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have hetero C and was put on baby aspirin, prenatal, and metanx (like folgard/prescription folic acid). I requested lovenox when I got pregnant and was refused it, and I lost the pregnancy. They say it's unclear why though. It was my third loss, the first on the above meds. I am almost positive they did something wrong by not prescribing the lovenox. I'm gettin a second opinion about this.

duejuly4
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am compound hetero MTHFR & am on 5 mg. Prednisone twice/day, Baby ASA, Folgard & 40 mg. of Lovenox... I am also 15 weeks pregnant!
    My Dr. treated herself w/ the same meds (after 4 MC's) & just delivered in December. I started the Lovenox at 9 weeks (as the MTHFR Dx was new). Had 2 MC's in the past & am 40... so will do my injections, take my meds & pray
    Last edited by duejuly4; 01-08-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling

michelle123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shef- I am sorry for your losses. I had 4 m/c before being diagnosed with MTHFR (5th pregnancy was successful on Lovenox.) I hope that you can find an OB who will give you Lovenox for your next pregnancy. Don't take no for an answer.

duejuly4
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shef,
    I am sorry for your loss. It can be so frustrating when Dr's don't seem to listen.
    I was seenat the FL Cancer Center & they were angry that I waited until 9 weeks to start the meds... But, just to clarify your diagnosis... they only use blood thinners for
    Homo A, Homo C or Compound hetero (one A & one C). If you only have one, that could be the reason the Dr. said no... I'd still search for a Dr. you feel listens to you!
    Best of luck-