FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
New with MTHFR

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    kntoner3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

New with MTHFR

Hi,
    I was just recently tested and came back positive for compound heterozygous MTHFR, mutation C and A. Today I went and spoke to a genetic counsler regarding my results and per her all I need to do is take extra folic acid and she will recommend to my OB to test my homocysteine level. I explained to her what I found on this site and yahoo immuno support site, that you are really unable to go by those levels. I explained to her about Dr Beer's protocol with folic acid, baby aspirin and lovenox. She states she has researched this also and consulted with her doctors and they all believe I only need folic acid and to test the homocysteine level, that since this is my only postive out of the thrombophilia testing.

My question is for anyone out there that is only positive for this? Do you believe all that is needed is extra folic acid or do you do other medication. I was told by her since I have only had 2 miscarriages, maybe the next one will be ok. That they usually don't look into things until you have had 3 miscarriages.

I am just extremely frustrated right now. I have read many entries on this site and I hope someone will be able to help. Also, if anyone lives in the Orlando, Fl area, has this issue and your OB treats correctly, can you please tell me who you see?

Thanks, Nicky

2. Advertisement

drahrig
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

mthfr

I too have that and after many many miscarriages they finally tested me and found it. Well they had me taking 5000mg of folic acid, a baby aspirin and a vitamin B Complex then we did IUI. Well, it worked I got pregnant and had triplets. Two girls and one boy at 36weeks pregnant. Of course I had to keep taking the folic acid, baby aspirin, and vitamin B everyday and I still have to take the folic acid, but it's well worth it! I would definitely take the baby aspirin. Hey it couldn't hurt.

Denise
    Mom of 2yr old triplets