FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease

Does anyone know if UC or Crohn's can be passed on to a child?? My DH has UC and I am very worried about this getting passed onto our (future) child.

2. Advertisement

Karen43
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Suz, I have UC and from what I read there is a 25% (the percentage goes up if both parents have it) chance of passing it on to a child. It also depends on how severe and where his is. I would talk to his gastro and see what he says. Good Luck!!
    Karen
    G

SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen43
    Hi Suz, I have UC and from what I read there is a 25% (the percentage goes up if both parents have it) chance of passing it on to a child. It also depends on how severe and where his is. I would talk to his gastro and see what he says. Good Luck!!
    You know that's so weird, cuz when he first found out he had it, his gastro surgeon told him "I dont know how people get it, it just happens to some people". Come to find out that his uncle has it too, as well as a cousin. So, after all 14 surgeries, he is now seeing a different gastro doc.
    Interesting to find out that it *might* actually be genetic.

raesells
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seattle,
    I'm really glad you posted this! My husband has Crohn's Disease and I had been wondering that same question but I never thought to ask his gastro dr. about it. I will be asking the next time we go in for his check up.

Thanks
    Rae

Karen43
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first dr told me it was NOT genetic....but my aunt has it and my sister was diag not too long after me. Well I did get a new dr and she tells me that now they are starting to think that it IS. They don't know why people get it but now they are seeing that it does run in families.
    There is a lot on info on UC at a s a c o l . c o m
    Karen
    G

andika
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mother and brother both have crohns. new study show that there might be a link to genetic inheritance, but at the moment it is still considered an autoimmune disorder. My brother has a perfectly healthy girl, and we all hope she stays like that. It does tend to run in families, but usually it is the potential to hae crohns, and does not manifest itself on everyone. I think about it too, especially in my early ivfs that maybe I have the gene too, that is why I dont get pg, but now I was pg twice-unfortunately non to term, but I start to think it is there like diabetes or other illnesses , and although you might have some genetic background for it you wont necesarily get ill.

SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Should be interesting to see if our (future) child inherits it.

We just did a 5K Run for the Chrohn's and Colitis foundation and raised some funds. Got to meet and say Hi to Mike McCready from Pearl Jam again. Stone Gossard (also from PJ) was there as well, but I couldn't find him. Gotta do what I can for the ccfa!