FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
DH & I are CF +. Is fert rate lesser than non CF carriers?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    sherilea
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

DH & I are CF +. Is fert rate lesser than non CF carriers?

Hi there.

I'm hoping for some advice. I am in the middle of my 1st IVF cycle (day 10 of stim's) and am somewhat concerned. DH and I need to undergo IVF/ICSI. DH has absence of vas deferns and I had a tubal 6 yrs. ago. Preliminary tests showed that DH and I are both CF carriers.

I have been researching other CF carriers that underwent IVF/ICSI and am seeing a common denominator that was never mentioned to me previously. It appears that most (almost all) couples that I researched who were CF carriers or where one spouse actually has CF, the fertilization rate was very low even with the aid of ICSI. It appeared that only about 45% or less of eggs retrieved actually fertilized.

Does anyone know if this is a common factor for CF+ couples? Is fertilization rate minimized in IVF/ICSI when couple are CF+ carriers?

RE never mentioned this as being an issue. Unfortunately, I am proving to be a "slow" responder during this first cycle w/only 5 follicles which are taking their sweet time maturing. My concern is that we will only retrieve a couple of eggs. So, if fertilization w/ICSI is minimalized due to CF status, I am wondering if DH and I should cancel current cycle and hope for better egg #'s next cycle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Sherilea

2. Advertisement

Lauren2005
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not aware of any particular relationship between CF carrier status and low fert rate. I've done a lot of research and have never heard of this...

As a separate comment, I hope that you've considered PGD, which identifies CF embryos ahead of time...

Warmest regards,
    Lauren

monarchbutterfly
    has no status.

one of the s's: school, studying or sleep...pick one :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i also would recommend pgd with ivf to screen for any affected embryos.
    i have heard of men who are cf carriers having a higher incidence of no vas deferens which is one of the things that can go wrong during development.
    i have never heard of cf carriers being affected as far as lower fertility rates but i gues sit would depend on which cf mutation you are a carrier of. cf is a widely varying disease and can be either very serious or can hardly cause any noticable effects and it all depends on the mutation you are affected with. this would also be the case with regards to being a carrier. what effects you could expect to see as a carrier would depend on the mutation you are a carrier for (if that makes any sense)
    i hope this helps some and i wish you luck in your upcoming cycle.
    me and my three:
    and my three very sweet angels, who will never be forgotten: (18+wks) (5wks) (8wks)

Fernanda
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    have you been checked for the deltaF mutation only or more? Has your dh only one allele mutated of both (is he homozygous or heterozygous)?

Absent vas deferent is highly associated with CF. A high percentage of men with two mutations in the CF gene have it. not necessarily have the disease, mainly if they have combined mutations. So it is very important to know more about the status of the CF gene in your husband to know the real chances of you having an affected child.

Have you talked to a genetic counselor about it? I would really recomend.

good luck,

Fernanda

sherilea
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there Fernanda.

Yes, we met w/a geneticist some time ago who was able to put our minds at ease, somewhat. DH was diagnosed w/the mildest of mutations. Although he does have the mildest of mutations, we still have a 1 in 4 chance of conceiving a child w/CF.

We are hoping for the best as we move on to our 2nd IVF cycle.

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate the information and your time and concern.

Take care,
    Sherilea

Fernanda
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    glad you were seen by a geneticist!

good luck in your IVF

Fernanda

USMCWIFEjen
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you ever visit cysticfibrosis.com?
    I would highly recommend you visit this site http://cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/ I think you will find it most helpful!
    My dh and I are both CF carriers and we have a child together with CF and his son from his first marriage has CF.
    Jen

sherilea
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jen.

Thank you so much for the info. I am VERY familiar w/the website. I got a lot of very helpful info from individuals through that website. It is absolutely wonderful. A month ago, DH and I decided not to undergo our second cycle of IVF. After a chemical pg the first time around and after a long discussion, I realized that if we were fortunate enough to conceive the 2nd time around, if CVS testing proved that the fetus was CF+, I could not terminate the pg. DH and I simply could not go through attempting to conceive knowing that a CF+ child could bring joy and heartbreak to our family. I simply could not survive if I were to conceive an ill child. The possibility of losing a child due to illness or simply having to care for an ill child would BREAK my heart and soul. Not to mention the stress for our childs other siblings-I have 2 DD's from my first marriage-ages 5 1/2 and 7 yrs old. What stresses would caring for an ill child have on them? As you can see, for various reasons, we decided to no longer pursue IVF. My heart is broken but it is the best decision for our family and situation.

I do appreciate your support and thank you for passing on the information. God bless you and your family.

Thank you,
    Sheri

USMCWIFEjen
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely understand, more than words can say. My life has changed so dramatically since the birth of our youngest son in August/2005. If you frequent cysticfibrosis.com much then you have probably seen my story. My user id is jenniferp on that forum.
    I want another child, I know I'm crazy. I know the odds, and I will not have another baby with CF. It's a very sensative subject. Alot of people have opinions on what others should do in this situtation, and very strong opinions I might add. I personally believe each couple has a right to make their own decisions, what is right for some may not be right for others.
    You sound like you have thought out your options well and made a decision that is best for your family. I wish you the best.

sherilea
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    AMEN!!! You said it Jen. I think each family has a different opinion as to what is suitable for them and I respect each individual's decision too.

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to me and my DH. God bless you and your family.

We wish you and your family the best also.

Thank you,
    Sheri