FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
MTHFR POSITIVE HELP IM 22 wks pg and SCARED

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    MommaRitz
    happy to be back!
    Post Thanks / Like

MTHFR POSITIVE HELP IM 22 wks pg and SCARED

Can anyone off me any assistance as to what this is or means for me. They just said they will do a level 2 u/s.

what are the looking for what can they do? help. Im freaking

2. Advertisement

jbourke
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post on the immune board too ok! The gals there will know. But you need folgard I believe.
    Me 30 DH 37 TTC 4.5 yrs 5 IUI's & a LAP in 04 (endo) ALL BFN
    IVF # 1 Aug 05 BFN (5 frozen) FET#1 Sept 06 BFN.
    LOW LAD elevated NK cells. IVIg, Prednisone & had LIT on Nov 1st. Last FET approx Nov 23/06 Then we are done and moving to adoption!
    Mademoiselle of all clarinet players & scrap booking who’s a wonderful mommy to 2 furdoggies and 1 furkitty whom will defeat IF from Toronto people.

kellyrn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sooooo sorry that this happened to you! I had an ectopic pg over the summer that prompted my RE to test for anything and everything. 13 vials of blood later, I too was dx with MTHFR. There are different categories, and you can have one copy or two. I have 2 copies of the less extreme kind. It's basically a clotting disorder. Our bodies do not manufacture folic acid like other people's do, which in turn causes our homocysteine levels to rise, giving way to clotting too quickly (effecting the highly vascularized uterus and lining). I was told that it can cause problems, mostly in your 2nd and 3rd trimester if not caught, by making clots in between the uterine lining and the placenta (breaking the seal). But thank God yours was caught!! They put you on folgard or another high dose folic acid supplement. I take 5mg per day, and will for the rest of my life. My RE also has me on baby Aspirin. You will need to take them for the rest of your life. Not just for IF. If you dont, you can have cardiovascular problems later in life (strokes, etc). I hope this helps. Try not to panic. The important thing to remember is that the problem was found and is EASILY treatable!! Take care and keep us updated. God bless you!

Lauren2005
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI to anyone reading this... there is an extensive conversation (a duplicate of this initial thread) taking place on the Immune Issues bb. If you're interested, come on over! Lauren