FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
PGD Sucess-Please help!!!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    turalic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

PGD Sucess-Please help!!!

I am 31 DH 36( about to be 37) we are doing our first IVF and PGD is free as a part of a study, but I am warried. Should we be doing PGD is it going to lower our sucess rate. All my tests are OK, dh has slight low motility and I have narrow tubes, but all the other stuff came back perfect. So they gave us good prognoses for IVF#1 and we saved quite bit of $$$ doing PGD study. Does anyone knows if this will lower my chances of pregnancy or not????IsPGD good to do or not????

2. Advertisement

brycon
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically PGD is going to involve testing one of the cells from the blast for approximately 20 different genetic diseases. The idea is to transfer the best embryos possible BUT the diagnosis/identification of the genetic diseases is limited. It is possible to have PGD and transfer an embryo with an undetected anomaly but it does reduce the chances for those anomalies that it does detect.

Connie

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turalic,

I am a mother of twin girls conceived via PGD. To answer your last question "Is PGD good to do or not?" I would shout YES YES YES!

Now, behind that answer is a lot of grief. I struggled to conceive on my own. Through assisted repro (IUIs and IVFs) I conceived four times, but lost each pregnancy due to chromosomal anomalies. Not one of my losses was the same as another. For me, trying PGD was the last stone unturned in my IF Journey.

edited to add: I did 2 IVFs with PGD. The first resulted in my 5th pg and loss (chemical pg). The 6th IVF (2nd with PGD) was a success.

There is some risk involved in doing it because each embryo gets biopsied to run the test. The PGD test is run against 8 pairs of chromosomes (it could be more now, this was 2 years ago). These 8 pairs are the ones known to have the highest incidence of pregnancy loss and/or viable genetic abnormalities. I won't go into all the details, because I'm hoping you've done the research, learned from your RE what is done.

In my last IVF, I had more than 20 fertilized embryos. Eight made it through the PGD biopsy with no questions for the 8 main chromosomal pairs. We transferred four and two of them implanted. For me, knowing that they could hand select "the right ones" was the answer I needed.

I can tell you that my DH & I thank our good fortune every single night after we put our DDs to bed. Please PM me if you have more questions, I'm writing quickly and may have more thoughts later. Good luck to you and the others reading this post.

turalic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    GalaxyGirl, Thank you so much, that helps. We are trying our first IVF. We have been ttc #1 for 1 yr. DH is 37 Me 31 and I have narrow tubes, all other things are OK so we are praying. We are definitly doing PGD. Thank you