FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
3.4 tsh thyroid level -still seems high to me

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

3.4 tsh thyroid level -still seems high to me

i just had my tsh tested again and it was 3.4 -according to some of the reseach i have seen that still seems high to me. what do you think? the RE says it is okay, but i think optimal to conceive is 2. something? anyone know. i am hoping they will up my synthroid some more. i know my metabolism still seems to be slow.

thanks

2. Advertisement

monarchbutterfly
    has no status.

one of the s's: school, studying or sleep...pick one :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i think 3.4 is still within normal ranges isn't it??? although it may be sneaking up toward the high side of normal.
    me and my three:
    and my three very sweet angels, who will never be forgotten: (18+wks) (5wks) (8wks)

TRSBM
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In our Endocrine clinic 3.4 would still be good right in the middle if not up. 2. would be getting close to being low which could be an issue also. Good Luck
    J

Mom to "B" From Kazakhstan and
    A from Vietnam

Don't compare yourself to others; they are more screwed up than you think

raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks jill!!!

it sounds like you have a lot of good info and advise working for an endrocinoligist. i talked to the rn and they have agreed to bump me up to .150 synthroid -so we'll see. they will test again in six weeks. thanks again

BC-Sirell
    is loving her new home in San Diego!
    BC for Surrogacy
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    I just had my TSH checked last week and my levels were up to 3.4 as well, so my meds were increased from .1 to .125, as is usually the case for me during pregnancy. Althought the normal range when not pregnant can go up to around 5, during pregnancy they like your TSH to be betwee 1 and 2. Increasing your meds is a good idea.

Hugs,

Sirell

raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks so much sirell! (m/c mentioned)

thanks for the reassurance that it is the right thing and input. i just can't help but wonder if my thyroid was an issue in the m/c i had. it was not tested after i became pregnant and synthroid was not increased. i think my numbers then were 3. something. i am going to ask. i am so grateful for this site and how educated i have become. i was very naive the first try and had blind trust in the RE to know and do everything. i just wish i would have had it then. thanks

Josie1021
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Raytw - I have also read that TSH between 1 and 2 is optimal for conception.

Incidentally the upper range limit for "normal" TSH has been brought down from 5.? to 3.0, so you are still out of that range.

Josie

raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you josie:)

thank you for information and reaffirming what i thought. i spoke to my RE's office and got them to raise my dose of synthroid from .125 to .150. after explaining to them that the normal range had been lower and that i wanted the optimal range of 1 to 2 before conceiving. so, they will test again in 6 weeks. my metabolism is already getting better. i am taking calcium suppliments though because i think the higher dose of syntroid can cause some problems with a lack of this.