FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Question re: genetic counseling on Monday

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lauren2005
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Question re: genetic counseling on Monday

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what to expect in our genetic counseling appointment on 8/8? It's mandated by our IVF program. I've been trying to gather family info, and now have more than anyone could possibly want. I'm not sure what she's going to ask, or what services are provided in terms of genetic counseling. I like to go into meetings with some idea about what's going on, but I don't have a clue!

Thanks for any help,
    Lauren

2. Advertisement

deni3282
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lauren,

My DH and I were sent to genetic counseling last year after our miscarriage. It is actually pretty routine and they relaly do not try to scare you or anything. You should go prepared with as much family history as possible - family history of disease, death, births, illnesses, etc. They basically give you the odds of what could happen based on a combination of you and DH family medical history. She asked us everything from infertility issues in my immediate family, multiple births, long term diseases or illnessed to mental illness. They then try to give you the odds of what might happen wtih you genetic child based on the data -- it is very informative but highly estimated. They give you no firm data or answers. They will also take into consideration your age and all that and give you some reasonable odds.

Just a note of warning - make sure you tell the genetic couselor up front that your are not expecting- they usually counsel pregnant women and they are supposed to be sensitive to patients who are not but they may assume - they did this with me right after my M/C and I will very upset during the appt.

Best of luck, and remmeber all the data and information that give you are just best guess estimates!

Lauren2005
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much! We just had our appointment. The counseling is actually mandated by our IVF clinic (pre-first IVF), so there was fortunately no danger of her assuming that we were pg. The appointment went really well. It was so thorough that my head is a bit dizzy! Anyway, I appreciate your response.

Best wishes.