FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Success: 3rd IVF with PGD (preg. ment)

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtope
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Success: 3rd IVF with PGD (preg. ment)

YEAH!!! I have been reading all of these posts for over a year and just hoping I would one day be able to share good news. My dh and I have done 3 IVF's and a FET. We also did PGD with Dr. Mark Hughes out of Detroit, Michigan for Marfan's. I had a chemical pregnancy with the FET. For this last IVF I went out of state to Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine- 70% success rates. We ended up with 1 morula and 1 compacting embryo at 5days. I really had lost hope. Little did I know at least one of them was busy implanting. I had absolutely no symptoms prior to beta including no spotting. So, for all of you ladies that are having no symptoms and PGD issues...there is still hope. Here are my beta #'s:

9dp5dt- 70
    12dp5dt-215

Dh- 30
    Me- 29
    PGD for Marfan's (genetic condition that affects the connective tissue in the body...my husband has already had open heart surgery)
    IVF#1- Transfered 1 blastocyst & 1 hatching blastocyst- BFN
    IVF#2- Transfered 1 blastocyst & 1 morula- BFN
    FET#1- Transfered 2 blastocysts
    Switched clinics
    IVF#3- Transfered 1 morula & 1 compacting embryo- BFP!!!

2. Advertisement

SgtMom
    has no status.
    Life's Journey, Colic and Education
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats!!! Can I ask what is a morula?

mtope
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    First: cellular embryo (4 cell, 5 cell, 6 cell, etc.) these are usually 1-3 day embryos
    Second: Compacting: can't really distinguish how many cells; they all start to combine: these are usuall 2-3 day embryos
    Third: Morula: in between compacting and blastocyst- these are usually 4 day embryos
    Fourth: Blastocyst- these are usually 5 day embryos
    Fifth: Hatching blastocyst- these are usually 5-6 day embryos

Hope this helps

SgtMom
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great! I learned something there. If IUI (with microsort) does not work for us, we may try IVF with PGD. We have an unknown X-linked (severe mental retardation) disease prevalent in the family. Since it is an unknown gene, we would do the PGD for sex selection. I have been told the PGD alone costs $5K - is that about right?

I bet this process gives you great peace of mind that the fetus is healthy. Most people roll the dice and hope for the best but when you have a genetic condition that is likley to occur, this technology is great. So, when is your next beta? Does your pg just proceed normally now with no need for further testing, such as CVS, amnio, etc?

Take care,
    Kate

PGDMommy2be
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!!!

I'm so happy you finally had Success!!
    It's nice to hear of another ++ PGD outcome.

Take Care,

PGDMommy
    Clomid miracle '00
    M/C#1 Baby boy 3'02 @13wks & M/C #2 baby girl 12'02 @11wks Both sadly lost to Triploidy
    IVF/ICSI/PGD#1 = Miracle '04
    Loss#3 6'05 FET/PGD#1 Chemical
    IVF/ICSI #2= TWIN Girls!! Born 35w4d 2006
    Natural Miracle 2008

"Sometimes the Miracle you pray for is NOT the miracle you may recieve"

monarchbutterfly
    has no status.
    one of the s's: school, studying or sleep...pick one :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    congrats!!!! best wishes for a boring 8 months!!
    me and my three:
    and my three very sweet angels, who will never be forgotten: (18+wks) (5wks) (8wks)

mtope
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kate,

PGD was $2500 and the biopsy to do PGD was $2500. I don't have another beta. They said that because my numbers were above 100 they would not test beta again unless there was a problem. I have been getting my progesterone and estrogen checked and they have had to adjust my meds because they have been lower than they would have liked (both help support the pregnancy and prevent miscarriage). I have my first ultrasound on May 12th. and I'm really hoping to see the heartbeat (that is also my dh and my anniversary). If you have any other questions please let me know

Take Care

SgtMom
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are right on track - what a great anniversary gift - will your dh go with you to the u/s? It is so great to hear a success story.

So the PGD is the actual looking at the genes to find a problem and the biopsy is the removing of the cell from the embryo? Sounds like both are required and $5K is a good estimate of what it will cost. I don't suppose insurance would help out since we are trying to avoid diseases that would cost them big bucks? That would be asking too much, I guess.

mtope
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kate,

Yes, you do need both the biopsy and the PGD and usually ICSI which is another $1500 depending on the clininc. As far as insurance goes, mine covered the ICSI. I have not tried to submit for the others because I only have a limited amount of coverage and I want it to cover the actual IVF process. Some insurance companies I have heard do cover PGD and biopsy. Get a letter from the doctor and from the geneticist doing the PGD. This will help support your case.

I forgot to answer your question about the amnio. They want me to do an amnio to make sure that the baby does not have the mutation. I haven't decided if that is something I want to do. Have a great week

classy25
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, we have male factor infertilityand going to be doing IVF/ICSI and PGD. My dh has PKD (Polystic kidney disease). I am at the stage right now of of trying to get the right appt set up with a genetic counselor to get the exact mutation of PKD, to set up a DNA Probe.
    Once that's done we can start our first IVF /ICSI cycle. I"m so new at this need any information I can get....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast