FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Need Opinions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What would you do if you were me?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do another FET right away

0 0%
  • Do the endrometrial function test before doing anything else

0 0%
  • Do a fresh cycle with pgd

1 100.00%
    justkaren
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Opinions

Hi Everyone, I'm feeling a little bit hopeless and quite confused right now and so I figure that I will ask your opinions and/or advice. You don't need to be an expert to respond (I don't think that anyone is in regard to my situation). I just want to know what your gut instincts are. Here is the situation. See my signature line? I am 40 (41 in May) and have lots of disappointments behind me. On the other hand, I always stimulate really well, they get 25, 30 , 35 eggs -even with my cycle 3 months ago at age 40. Our fertilization rates are typically about 65%. Hardly any embryos arrest before day 3 and I typically transfer four embryos at 8 cells grade 1 or 2 (1 being the best). I have always had embryos to freeze on day 3, but the ones that they leave around to try to get to blast don't usually make it to the freezer. I currently have 4 blasts and 6 day 3's left in the freezer. My thaw rates vary from cycle to cycle. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are pretty bad. I had both tubes removed in Aug due to a hydro on one side and an unresolved ectopic on the other. Since then I have had 1 chemical from a fresh ivf and 1 bfn from an FET. I am blessed to have health insurance that covers ivf, so this is not really a money question.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next. My dh is not really comfortable with DE and I just can't give up yet (I have no kids at all). Here are the options that I am considering.

1. Just try another FET right away with the 4 blasts. My thinking: I have never done a blast transfer and maybe I have just been a bit unlucky since the tubes came out. If the hydro was the problem, you might expect that I would have already gotten pg, but then again, I am 40, so maybe I just need another try.....I like the idea of trying again right away. At least I'm doing SOMETHING.

2. Do an endometrial function test before doing anything else. This is a new (still fairly unproven but promising) test that they do at Yale which looks at biochemical markers that indicate the uterine lining will facilitate implantation. My doctor mentioned it because he has run out of standard things to try. The doctor at Yale does indicate high pg rates in those with "normal" results and very low pg rates in those with "abnormal results". They tweak your FET protocol if the results are abnormal in an attempt to turn them "normal". The problem with this test is that you have to do a mock cycle, so it takes two months just to get a normal results. If you get an abnormal result, then they change your protocol and try again. So it would take 4 months minimum if the result comes back bad (remember, I'm 41 in May). On the other hand, I do not like the idea of transferring embryos knowing that I could have found out if my lining was biochemically abnormal ....See the conflict...

3. Do a fresh cycle with pgd. If I still don't get pg with embryos that pass the pgd test, then I could still go back and think about doing about the endometrial function test. My existing embryos would still be in freezer, I would know more about whether my embryos are as good as they look, and I would have at least gotten both some diagnostic information (the pgd results) along with another attempt to conceive. The problem that I have with this is that I produce so many eggs that I really worry about how hard these ivfs are on my poor ovaries. I don't want to do any more of them than is absolutely necessary.

Sorry this is long. If you have questions, please ask. If you have comments/opinions/advice/ please give them.
    Thanks,
    Karen
    Last edited by justkaren; 02-21-2005 at 01:18 PM.
    42 years old and finally a mom!
    Our son Elijah (Eli) was born 2/10/06
    following 4 years ttc, 5 fresh IVFs (plus 2 FETs).

2. Advertisement

monarchbutterfly
    has no status.

one of the s's: school, studying or sleep...pick one :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    if i were in your shoes i owudl probably do a fresh cycle with pgd since a majority of your eggs seem to be arresting somewhere between day 3 and blast. that way you would at least know why....but pgd in itself is a very risky procedure.
    have you posted your question on the ivf board, they get a lot more traffic (not to mention the women there are a lot more familiar with ivf and freeze/thaw rates etc than i am since i never did ivf)
    i wish you luck
    me and my three:
    and my three very sweet angels, who will never be forgotten: (18+wks) (5wks) (8wks)

justkaren
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted there, the Frozen embryo transfer broad, here and the over 40 board. I figured that I might get different prespectives from different groups. Overall, I got alot of feedback, most of it saying "do the test". I still don't know what I will do. I have appointments with two different doc over the course of the next two weeks. I should know more then.
    Thanks for responding.
    Karen
    42 years old and finally a mom!
    Our son Elijah (Eli) was born 2/10/06
    following 4 years ttc, 5 fresh IVFs (plus 2 FETs).