FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
turners syndrome

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

turners syndrome

hi, i am new to this board - does anyone on this board have TURNERS SYNDROME? my husband and i went through a fresh transfer with donor in may, unfortunately, i had a miscarriage at 6 weeks - we have 5 frozen embryos and wanted to go ahead with the transfer this month but some obsticales have come in our way so i think we will have to put it off until at least next month which is very disappointing to me - i am trying to make sure everything is perfect for the frozen transfer - doing yogo, trying to lose weight - husband says this is the last chance he will not go through it again - i am being patient and hoping all will come in due time

2. Advertisement

monarchbutterfly
    has no status.
    one of the s's: school, studying or sleep...pick one :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i do not but i wish you luck and if i can be of any help please let me know.
    me and my three:
    and my three very sweet angels, who will never be forgotten: (18+wks) (5wks) (8wks)

armywife
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have Turners Syndrom but when I did PGD one of our embies came up with Turners. It doesn't run in my family but hey said it was caused by the egg. Don't know what you were asking.

raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you

mod-beckyc - thanks for your support

ccat1998 - i replied on the fet board - thanks soo much for the totally unselfish thing you are doing for another couple - it almost brings me to tears - how wonderful!!! - looking forward to talking to you and im if possible

armywife - thanks for replying - would like to know more of your story - i was told that the genetic problem was with the spern not the egg - there are a lot of unanswered questions

my dh and i went through ivf with donor eggs last april - we have 5 embryos frozen and are looking forward to fet in march or april- dh says that he does not want to go through this anymore after the five embryos, so this may be our last chance at children of our own

armywife
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

more info

This last cycle was our first with PGD. One embie had Turner's and one had Down's the other's just abnormal. The RE said they were caused by the egg. Unless I was just overwhelmed with the info. We had 6 embies tested and only one normal. had we not done the testing, they would have put the two best looking embies back based on cell division and they would have actually been the Turner's and Down's. We put the one normal back which resulted in a chemical. I am a special education teacher and my husband has been deployed since July 04. I am sure I put some extra stress on myself. we are doing PGD again this cycle. I will let you know if it appears again.

raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

armywife

VERY sorry to hear your story - i would like to assure you a little my mother and i always wondered and i did some research which stated that the male was the carrier - we wondered because we believe someone in my fathers family had turners. turners is when one of the x chromosones is missing - most turners children that are born can live a completely normal happy life - however, only 2 % of turners babies are carried full term and born - most result in miscarriage - 1 in 10,000 babies born have turners - i am one of them and live a normal happy life - except for the infertility

sorry you husband is deployed also - how long have you been trying to conceive? do you have any children yet?

if i can be of any support let me know and lets keep in touch

thanks again

sallymay101
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although the exact cause of Turner's Syndrome is not known, it is believed that the disorder may result from an error during the division (meiosis) of a parent's sex cells.
    http://www.onr.com/ts-texas/turner.html

Can Turner syndrome be inherited?
    Most cases of this condition are not inherited, but occur as random events during the formation of reproductive cells (eggs and sperm). An error in cell division called nondisjunction can result in reproductive cells with an abnormal number of chromosomes. For example, an egg or sperm cell may lose one copy of the X chromosome as a result of nondisjunction. If one of these atypical reproductive cells contributes to the genetic makeup of a child, the child will be missing a copy of the X chromosome in each of the body's cells.

X-chromosome mosaicism is also not inherited. It occurs as a random error during cell division early in fetal development. As a result, some of a woman's cells have the usual two copies of the X chromosome, and other cells have only one copy of the chromosome. Other types of sex chromosome mosaicism can also lead to Turner syndrome. These forms of mosaicism are not inherited, but occur by chance.
    http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=tur...me#inheritance

Does a mother do anything to make a daughter have Turner's syndrome ?
    No. Turner's syndrome is not associated with any environmental or other factor such as drinking, smoking, age or anything else. It appears to be a random event that can happen to anyone.

How often does Turner's syndrome occur ?
    Best estimates put the frequency of Turner's syndrome at 1 in 2,500 or 1 in 2,000 liveborn females. There is no known difference in frequency based upon race, location or socio-economic factors.
    http://www.onr.com/ts-texas/faq.html

Does any one thing cause Turner syndrome?

No. Turner syndrome is not associated with any environmental or any other factors generally associated with genetic problems. Despite many efforts, no real causes have been found to be linked to this condition. It appears to be a random event that can happen to anyone.
    http://www.turner-syndrome-us.org/resource/faq.html

--------------------

As you can see from these quotes, Turner's is generally considered to *not* be inherited - which means that neither the mohter or the father "carry" anything to cause Turner's. It is not something there is a family history of, but something that happens as a random mutation of the cells as they begin to divide - or so it is thought at this time.

The second quote does say "most cases are not inherited", which sounds like they think it sometimes can be. However, that is the only source I have ever seen to even imply that it can be inherited.

In general, no one knows for sure why or how Turner's happens. All they know for sure is the changes it causes both at a genetic level and on a whole-body level.

Genetically, a person (always women) with Turner's has a missing or incomplete "X" chromosome. A 'normal' female has two "X" chromosomes, and a 'normal' male has one "X" chromosome and one "Y" chromosome. In some cases of Turner's there is some "Y" material included in the messed up X"X chromosome.

Due to that genetic change, many physical changes can happen. Somewhere from 90-100% of Turner's women have no ovarian function. All of them have a short stature (my IM is around 4'10" I think she said). Turner's women also often have narrow jaws/mouths. There are a number of other characteristics of Turner's women. See below:

Short Stature 100%
    Ovarian Failure 90%
    Puffy hands and feet 80%
    Broad chest 80%
    Low posterior hairline 80%
    Unusual shape and rotation of ears 80%
    Small lower jaw 70%
    Inner canthal folds 70%
    Arms turned out slightly at elbows 70%
    Soft upturned nails 70%
    Kidney anomalies 60%
    Shortend 4th digits 50%
    Webbed neck 50%
    Pigmented nevi (small brown moles) 50%
    Cardiac anomalies 50%
    Hearing loss 50%
    Narrow, high-arched palate 40%
    While ovarian failure can't be "fixed" or cured, hormone replacement therapy can take over part of the function of the ovaries, giving a Turner's woman the chance to physically mature at puberty.

Turner's syndrome does not equal mental defects or mental illness. Women with Turner's are generally expected to live lives that are the same as anyone else. They do, however, need to make sure that they receive regular, competent health care in order to take care of the various problems that having Turner's can cause.

Sorry this got so long, ladies, but I thought this information might be helpful.

raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info

chris, thanks for sharing the info