FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Insomnia, Help!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

Insomnia, Help!

Hi ladies,

I have insomnia since I was 6 weeks along. My RE has told me that it's the hormones and it will get better as my pregnancy progresses. I'm about 11 weeks along now and I'm still having trouble sleeping, and staying asleep. I've tried the warm milk before bedtime, sleep sounds/music, varying my bedtime, taking and not taking naps during the day. Nothing seems to work. I find that I don't usually doze off until about 12:30-1am. I wake several times through the night. I'm awake by 4ish, sometimes 5ish. I do get tired about late noon around 2-3pm but cannot nap, though I have tried but do not fall asleep. All this insomnia makes it very bad for me especially on days where I have migraines. And they're pretty constant.

Any advice or tips to help ease this situation would be greatly appreciated! Getting desperate!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lilacs; 09-05-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009
    IUI #1 - March 2011 - BFN
    IVF #1 - July 2011 - BFP! It's a girl!
    IVF #2 - January 2015 - Cancelled
    IVF #3 - March 2015 - Cancelled
    Unexpectedly Expecting - March 2018 - BFP!

2. Advertisement

SC-Sherb
    living in CrazyTown!
    SC, BC of GP, 2WW & Preg after Loss-M/C
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Hi Lilacs, I hope that someone can offer some advice on this. I never had insomnia but I always have been a very light sleeper. When pregnant, I would wake several times throughout he night and I never ever felt like I had a good night's sleep. Hugs hun.
    Me 47/DH 48 Celebrating 25 yrs of marriage!!!

DS#1 - August 31, 1993 (24)
    DD - February 15, 1997 (20)
    DS#2 - August 25, 2008 (9)

2 - both at 10 weeks (1989 & Oct/07)

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I had insomnia during my entire pregnancy both times. In fact with my last pregnancy, insomnia was one of the clues that I was pregnant. Unfortunately I never found anything go help with it. I've heard Unisom is safe to take, but since I was also caring for a toddler, I didn't try it. You may want to call your dr about it. I always looked at the insomnia as a way of preparing you for all the sleepless nights once the baby is born.

Dawn

Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Thanks ladies for the replies.

I don't know how I'm ever going to make it to 9 months if I'm already not sleeping well at 11 weeks. And I think the lack of sleep doesn't help the intense headaches. I'm hoping that if I can do something about the insomnia, it might curb the bad headaches.

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009

tridreamin
    BFP with first DE

Post Thanks / Like
    Lilacs - I've suffered from migranes before being pregnant and also severe insomnia. Reading books sometimes helped me fall asleep, but during bouts of intense insomnia, I'd wind up finishing the dang book before I'd fall asleep. One tip that I was taught that really really helped me fall asleep was to lay still, concentrating and starting with your toes. Flex/tense them for a count of three while you breathe in and out deeply. Then relax them/releasing the muscles for a count of three, while breathing in and out deeply. Then move to your ankles. Then move to your calves. Working your way up all the way to your head. For the first few days, I'd sometime work my way back down my body before I'd fall asleep. Eventually, I'd be asleep by the time I hit my knees. It may be a bit tougher to manage while laying on your side. Also, I don't really know the tip for keeping a sustained night's sleep while pregnant since we have to get up a lot to go pee.

I do know that when I suffered from both headaches and insomnia, one did feed into the other. I hope this helps you! I feel your pain!
    DE - 2 out of 7 fertilized, 5 had rescued ICSI but arrested
    We transfered the 2 2-celled on day 2 --> BFP
    Beta:
    8/5 - 247
    8/9 - 1,508
    8/12 - 4,492
    8/22 - 47,951
    8/29 - 91,951; 2 hbs = 140bpm & 150bpm
    The TWINS' due date: 4/15/12

AshRS
    is a happy girl :)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I had trouble sleeping my entire pregnancy. Many nights were spent on the couch so that I wouldn't disrupt DH's sleep with all my flipping and turning and sighing! I had just general insomnia, my brain was constantly thinking about things, and restless legs and arms. So annoying. Going to bed when I was really tired helped some (instead of just going to bed slightly tired), laying on the couch watching a movie until I fell asleep...

Good luck with it. I hope you find someone to help you.
    Me (30) DH (30) married July '08
    TTC #1 since Dec '08; PCOS
    2009 - 2 IUIS - BFN
    Feb 10 - ER for IVF; ET delayed due to OHSS risk - 11 frozen blasts
    Apr 10 -- FET - 2 AA blasts - BFP - 2 boys
    November 29, 2010 - L &R

Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Quote Originally Posted by tridreamin View Post
    Lilacs - I've suffered from migranes before being pregnant and also severe insomnia. Reading books sometimes helped me fall asleep, but during bouts of intense insomnia, I'd wind up finishing the dang book before I'd fall asleep. One tip that I was taught that really really helped me fall asleep was to lay still, concentrating and starting with your toes. Flex/tense them for a count of three while you breathe in and out deeply. Then relax them/releasing the muscles for a count of three, while breathing in and out deeply. Then move to your ankles. Then move to your calves. Working your way up all the way to your head. For the first few days, I'd sometime work my way back down my body before I'd fall asleep. Eventually, I'd be asleep by the time I hit my knees. It may be a bit tougher to manage while laying on your side. Also, I don't really know the tip for keeping a sustained night's sleep while pregnant since we have to get up a lot to go pee.

I do know that when I suffered from both headaches and insomnia, one did feed into the other. I hope this helps you! I feel your pain!
    Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely give it a try. I've been awake since 2am this morning and had a very difficult time falling asleep to begin with. I also had an insanely bad migraine yesterday that hit around 2pm and never went away. Took 2 Tylenols and nothing. I also drink a ton of water throughout the day...lots. I'm becoming a water tank.

I feel one coming on right now. =(
    Last edited by Lilacs; 09-06-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009

Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Quote Originally Posted by AshRS View Post
    I had trouble sleeping my entire pregnancy. Many nights were spent on the couch so that I wouldn't disrupt DH's sleep with all my flipping and turning and sighing! I had just general insomnia, my brain was constantly thinking about things, and restless legs and arms. So annoying. Going to bed when I was really tired helped some (instead of just going to bed slightly tired), laying on the couch watching a movie until I fell asleep...

Good luck with it. I hope you find someone to help you.
    Thanks. I hope this thing eases up soon! It takes me forever to fall asleep usually around 12ish-1am. Then find myself wide awake at 2am. Do you stay asleep more or less through the night?

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009

tridreamin
    BFP with first DE

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm up pretty much every two hours to pee. By the morning, I feel like I've been awake all night --- but my DH says I do catch a few ZZZs in between my flipping and turning and getting out of bed.
    DE - 2 out of 7 fertilized, 5 had rescued ICSI but arrested
    We transfered the 2 2-celled on day 2 --> BFP
    Beta:
    8/5 - 247
    8/9 - 1,508
    8/12 - 4,492
    8/22 - 47,951
    8/29 - 91,951; 2 hbs = 140bpm & 150bpm
    The TWINS' due date: 4/15/12

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilacs View Post
    Thanks. I hope this thing eases up soon! It takes me forever to fall asleep usually around 12ish-1am. Then find myself wide awake at 2am. Do you stay asleep more or less through the night?
    I know for me, once I fell asleep, I would tend to wake around 1am and be awake until 3am. It was almost like clockwork. It was very frustrating, but not much I could do about it.

AshRS - I had the restless arms and legs thing too, and it was the most annoying thing ever!!!!!! I didn't have it with my first, but I had it this past time.

Dawn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast