FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
To all who have bought convertible cribs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

To all who have bought convertible cribs

I was just reading a book, and there's a section that lists "must haves," "should haves," "can do withouts," and "waste of money."

It says convertible cribs are a waste of money and that its better to buy a crib and bed separate (no toddler/junior bed needed) because.............convertible cribs are not a standard size and require you to buy special sized mattress and sheets, at extra-special prices ($$$$$).

Is that true???

When I looked at them, they seemed to be a standard size, I was never told anything about special sized mattress/sheets, and I never thought to ask, I just assumed they were the same size as regular cribs.

2. Advertisement

sngray
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a convertible crib, but I moved my DD into a regular full sized bed once she outgrew the crib anyway. I think the problem with extra cost in convertible cribs is that you sometimes have to buy "conversion" sets to make the bed larger and you end up spending just as much anyway. I think they all use the same size sheets and stuff though.
    IVF #1
    u/s July 22nd- It's a HEALTHY Boy!

MollyKate
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    wantsababy-

I just bought the Jenny Lind crib (from Evenflo) - actually I just bought two since we're having twins. In the instructions it is called a convertable crib - you can buy a separate low side rail for when you want it to be a toddler bed. It has a standard crib mattress. It's a consumer reports best buy and I thought is was very pretty.

It is the standard size so regular crib sheets and pads will fit it just fine. DH remarked when we were setting it up that he could sleep in it (he sleeps curled up in a ball) I think it would definately be big enough for a three year old.

I bought the crib and the mattress from Sears. I paid $119 for the crib and $85 for the mattress and the shipping was about $30 for a single crib/mattress. You can buy the exact same crib and matress from babies-r-us (amazon) for maybe $10 less and pay 4x as much for shipping. I have found that anything you might want to buy from amazon it's always a good idea to check sears becuase sometimes you can get the same thing for a much better price.

We have them set up right now and they look great.

Cheers!

Molly
    Last edited by MollyKate; 02-27-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Tami
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Stressed
    We have convertible cribs for the boys. They are currently toddler beds for them. The crib mattress was regular size, took regular sheets. We love them. We will have to buy a conversion set for each one to make them into the full size beds they will become in a year or two. I don't think they will need special mattresses at that time either. I haven't heard anything about needing special stuff for them....other than the conversion sets.

For this baby, we are buying a crib that converts to a toddler bed but not a full size. We figure she will want to pick it out when it's time and because we would only have to buy one bed. (with the boys, we went with convertibles so we don't have to keep buying beds as they grow).

I am very happy with our convertible cribs. They've been great!!
    Tami
    J & S 7yrs
    C 4yrs

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had convertible cribs for my girls. We switched to the toddler beds at 21 mos when one of my dd's jumped out. They stayed in the convertible beds until they were 4!

I was very happy with them. We never had to buy special sheets or mattresses, or even a conversion kit.

Janice
    Laura & Elizabeth 11/29/00

jenmom2myboys
    is blessed.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I have aconvertable crib and it came with the siderail to convert it. The mattress we bought for the crib, one side is for infants and then you flip it when your baby is a toddler. I forget the brand but we bought it at Babiesrus and it was 129.99. They have it online! I think it's called the Sleep'n'more and our crib is a Childcraft 10001 no dropside!
    “It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.” – Confucius

T
    K
    W

pooh
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We bought a convertible crib that uses regular sized crib mattress and sheets and is supposed to eventually convert to a twin size bed. We won't convert it now since DD is 2 and baby #2 is on the way. We'll see what happens when DS is ready to outgrow it.
    ~W~

IVF #1 PG with triplets, m/c my twins but resulted in a healthy full term singleton ~C~ born 3/16/04
    Vanishing Twin/Triplet Syndrome resulting from IVF #1
    FET #1 - FAILED
    FET #2 ~J~ born 7/05/06

kaylansmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a convertible crib/bed. We had the crib set up until our dd was almost 3--she never tried to jump out. She has been in the converted toddler bed ever since. She will be 4 in July. Our baby #2 is due in the Fall, so I figure we are going to get a good 7-8 years out of the crib/bed. I'm very happy with our convertible crib/bed and would buy it again in a second. I'd consider it a "must have" item.
    kaylansmom

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ladies, I just knew the book was wrong!

I called the baby store to specifically ask about mattress size and they confirmed the convertable cribs take standard size crib mattresses.

Sheesh! You'd think they'd do their homework before they publish info like that!

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I have two convertible cribs (twins) and they are the type where one of the side rails comes off to turn the crib into a "daybed." We used that feature with our oldest, transitioning her from the crib to a twin bed but with our 3 yr old she went right from the crib to the twin bed with no time in the daybed. Our cribs have standard mattresses and sheets. Cribs/daybeds can usually be used up to about age 4, as far as kid's heights go, anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast