FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Halloween costumes... can we talk?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Halloween costumes... can we talk?

I've already got the catalogues... if you remember previous posts I get stacks of magazines every week so I've had plenty to pour through. Halloween is on a Monday I think and younger DS can wear a costume to school. I was thinking he would like Captain America or Green Lantern since he is all into super heroes. Older DS can wear a costume to school as well, but the 5th grade has a Medieval Fair so I'm guessing the costume would have to be a knight or Robin Hood since it's the Middle Ages. Anyone have ideas with regards to a costume for this era?
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

MissyMarie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, I'd let my kids lead in deciding what they want to wear. Even my 3 year old has strong feelings about which costume he wants to wear. My 5 and 3 year old have already spent hours looking over the costumes and imagining what they want to be. I'd let them show you what they want to do - and you can make suggestions of how to make it or keep it economical.

shogun
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MissyMarie View Post
    For me, I'd let my kids lead in deciding what they want to wear.
    I was thinking the same thing. At those ages, they would want to choose their own costumes. You can only hope that their choices matches yours. and of course guide them a bit if the costumes they want is not a good choice for them (eg. too gory, scary, etc)

Pug Girl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Halloween! My 3 year old already has a strong opinion that she wants to be a purple princess this year. haha. She loves purple and wants to be a princess. I figure I will dress her sister as a princess too since she is 2 and wants to do what her sister does.

StacyD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I am so sad that my kids refused to got out TorT last year. This year G has a football game on Halloween. In our neighborhood we do not have any little ones who come around for treats. We will decorate the yard but I guess that will be it. I told the boys I was going to have to rent a little kid for Halloween.
    God Blessed us with two wonderful boys
    B 1997 from our third IVF and ICSI
    G 1998 from our fourth IVF, ICSI and AH

Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick.
    We are flexible.

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My kids have totally been deciding their own costumes for years. It's my girls who pour through the catalogues, not me. Laura was just doing that yesterday!

I just have input into whether or not it'll be warm enough for them to wear. It can be very chilly on Halloween here. Last year it was quite cold and rained.
    Janice
    L&E 11/00

AshRS
    is a happy girl :)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    ooh I was actually going to start a post to ask if anyone has a good place to buy costumes (online). This is my first year to buy costumes for my boys and while they won't really be trick or treating of course (well, maybe a few houses, just to get some candy for mommy and daddy haha) I'm excited to dress them up
    Me (30) DH (30) married July '08
    TTC #1 since Dec '08; PCOS
    2009 - 2 IUIS - BFN
    Feb 10 - ER for IVF; ET delayed due to OHSS risk - 11 frozen blasts
    Apr 10 -- FET - 2 AA blasts - BFP - 2 boys
    November 29, 2010 - L &R

Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Every year our school hosts a Harvest Party and costume contests are a big part of it. Store bought costumes rarely win. Families come up with the greatest ideas and make their own costumes. Last year my kids were a paper doll, Miss America and a cupcake. We usually don't even talk about it until a couple of weeks before. I like to look at familyfun.com for cotume ideas. They're usually creative and easy. One year my older two were a nail and a hammer. That would be cute for boys. As for medievil, a king would work or a jester might be fun.
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am not a seamstress or sewer so they are store bought. I don't mind spending $30-$40 since they will get at least 2 wears out it... Halloween and Mardi Gras... and then the costumes go in a dress up box for use all during the year. Older DS chose to be Robin Hood. Younger DS wanted to be Green Lantern. I wanted to get the costumes early so they wouldn't run out. That happenned one year and it was so disappointing for younger DS!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)