FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Math Drills- Need some advice

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SuzCa
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Margarete Anne View Post
    He could do all of the problems he was able to complete EX: 80/100 correctly in the five minutes. The children only got a star on a chart that was posted in the classroom if they completed all 100 with 100% accuracy. A few weeks later, I received a call from the teacher that he had done all 100 problems with 100% accuracy in five minutes. But, she was sobbing so much I could hardly understand her. You see, when she stooped down beside my son at his desk to show him his paper and tell him that he had earned his first star......when she looked into his eyes, it all of a sudden hit her what all of the weeks of having an empty star chart had meant to him.
    Your post made me cry. I have pressured Fia to catch up on subtraction times testing. She gets 80% and is stuck there. I am going home tonight and I am giving her the biggest hug, and I will apologoze to her. I will make sure that the next time I have a parent teacher conference that I willl suggest Joanne's method.

I had trouble with math as a child and the pressure my dad put me under makes it nearly impossible for me to test in math. I break out in a cold sweat. Fia is good at is but works slowly. I am going to nurture this. The LAST thing i want is to pass on my math anxiety.
    DD Sophia, 16, soon to be Junior in HS where has the time gone!

Breast Cancer Survivor - In Support of all of our survivors.

2. Advertisement

DanielLee5
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry about marks and teacher's reaction, your child's menthal health is the most important now. He is stressed because he feels pressure from both parents and teachers, just explain him that you believe he's good at Math and teacher's marks don't matter, he will feel a relief and the studying results will improve. I got bad algebra marks at school, too, but at college I was one of the best at the course! Now I help others with their homework as a professional mathematicans and I feel sorry my parents didn't support me earlier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123