FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Gymnastics

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored

Gymnastics

So I'm signing Zoey up for gymnastics. I think she will really enjoy it she's a monkey. I think she's very coordinated for being 3 she can jump on one foot, she loves swinging from bars and now she puts her feet up and flips over, she can walk a beam with out falling, she does tricks in the trampoline that nearly give me a heart attack. My aunt kept harping on me she needs to be in gymnastics that she would be really good at. So I'm signing her up and she starts Tuesday. I'm so excited I wish I could sign her up for everything but I dont' have that much time or energy HAHAHAHA.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

2. Advertisement

Rudi
    I love me some holidays!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! My DD does gymnastics, too. She almost gives me a heart attack sometimes with some of the things she tries, especially at home. She wants to do it non-stop at home; I tell her, "Save it for the gym!"
    I'm sure your DD will love it, too!
    proud mom to a wonderful 10 year old DD!

Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We love gymnastics..but Sierra does the "cheernastics" which focuses only on tumbling. She really enjoys it & has learned so much! We have to take a break for football season - and usually don't do Nov - March because the place we go is a 40 min. drive over a really bad mountain & the weather is horrible hear in WV during those months. LOL So...we will be starting again come April!

Share some pics when you can - sounds like Z. will love it - Sierra was always doing those types of things too when she was her age! lol (And scaring me to death!)
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

lisa in venice
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had done that with the older kids. Gymnastics is such a good foundation for so many other sports. Gymnasts are stronger and have a better sense of their body in space than other athletes. I remember a few years ago we went to a regional synchronized swim meet and there was this team that came out of nowhere and they were amazing. I mean kids who were new to synchro and they were winning medals over kids who had been doing it for years and years. Their secret? They recruited gynasts.

I hope your dd has a blast.
    Lisa
    Mom to Nathan (23) Anna Rachel (20) Sam (13) and Miranda (9)

Furbabies:
    Nola the Ridgeback/ Pit Bull mix and all cuddle bug

Roxy Hart the Chihuahua/Yorkie watch dog

Nemesis the long haired tabby who IS the boss of all of us

Nox Juju Black shelter kitty who adopted us all

Emmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's fun. I wish I had signed Anna up earlier. She's been doing it for 5 years now and she is 10. She's on the level 4 team. My boys are both on the boy's gymnastics team also.

It's amazing what those little bodies can do. It's very enjoyable to watch practices.
    Have fun!

3monkeys
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We LOVE gymnastics!!! If she's flipping all over your house, then she needs to be in a program where they will teach skills as well as safety

Kelsey started at age 4 now at 12 is a Level 8 gymnast. Tess started at age 3 and at 9 yrs old she is a level 6 gymnast and 3 time State champ for USAIGC (different program from USAG). Michael also did gymnastics from age 3-6 and really enjoyed it.

maj90
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    DD loves her gymnastics class. She is not very coordinated which is why we got her in it but I think it is really helping her. I think your DD is going to have a great time
    Mary Ann
    mom to Tabitha 1/13/04
    our Blessing thru DA
    Before you were born: I dreamed of you, I imagined you, I prayed for you. Now that you're here: I hope for you, I love you and I thank God everyday for you. -Linda LaTourelle

MichelleVA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gymnastics is such a good foundation for so many other sports. Gymnasts are stronger and have a better sense of their body in space than other athletes.

I agree 100% with this Lisa!

Mya has been in gymnastics for 2 years and she is a level 4 gymnast and they are training her for level 5 she is 7 years old. We think that Gymnastics has taught her so much. Imagine being a child so tiny standing on a beam doing a cart wheel or a handstand with people you never met judging YOU! The self confidence of knowing you completed the performance even if you had a mistake YOU DID IT! That is what I drill into Mya's head before each meet we love you no matter how you finish....we just ask you to have fun and if you get nervous know that we love you and you already won for just stepping on that floor and trying.

I found this article the other day and it is called beware of the beam....if you are a gymnastics parent you will love this LOL I cut out pieces so it was shorter

Even for an Olympic athlete there were many frightening sights at these Games. The 10-meter (30-foot-plus high) platform at the diving pool. The raging (albeit man-made) H[2]0 at Penrith Whitewater Stadium. The sight of the Bulgarian weightlifting team advancing upon the pork chop section at the chow line. For my money, though, nothing is as fearsome as the 16-foot-long, four-inch-wide balance beam at the Sydney Super Dome.

It was that spare, awful block of wood that decided who would win which cast of medal—and, in the case of the United States, who would win no medal—at the women's team gymnastics final on this Tuesday night. The Russians failed to beat Romania for the gold largely because two of them fell off the beam. The U.S. fared better than expected on the uneven parallel bars (second overall) and in the floor exercises (third) but came in dead last on the beam and therefore finished fourth, behind bronze medalist China, whose athletes scampered across this cursed apparatus as if they had iced chai in their veins.

What's often overlooked about these gymnasts who enthrall us every four years is their linebackerlike guts. In the vault they race pell-mell down a runway, all the while being shadowed by a movable TV camera that looks like the mechanical rabbit at a dog track, then launch their bodies into a variety of precarious midair positions. Miss the horse and it's a face plant on the mat. On the uneven bars they work up enough torque on one bar to zoom right out of the building, then have to fly through the air and grab the other bar.

The beam, though, is the worst of all, a sadistic test of nerves and balance that allows for zero margin of error. The whole idea of that apparatus—this nasty object of torture that looks as if it should be sitting in the town square of some 17th-century Puritan community—is for an athlete to sell the idea that she's having fun up there, as if performing a series of aerobic contortions three feet, 11 inches off the ground is natural. The first two Russians on the beam in this competition fell off. If they had kept their balance, Russia might have won the gold.

Personally , I don't understand why everyone doesn't fall off the **** thing. The average routine begins with a flip or a somersault onto the beam, which is a little like entering your front door at night by shooting yourself out of a cannon. Then it really gets tough. At some point during the 70-to 90-second routine, the competitor must touch the beam with her torso; most do some kind of split, landing with a splat on the beam, thereby providing a graphic illustration of why this is not a men's event.

Physical prowess aside, the concentration required on the beam is phenomenal. Tiger Woods asks that all activity within four square miles cease while he lines up a putt. Women gymnasts cartwheel across a plank while macarenaesque music from the floor exercises blares nearby. Imagine trying to walk across a clothesline in the middle of a Greek wedding reception while reading Thomas Pynchon, and you begin to get the idea. All that, and you have to be judged by people who couldn't sashay down a sidewalk without stepping on the grass.

My oldest is not a gymnast she is on the dance team but all 3 of my other children will or are gymnasts. Once my weight is off I too will take a adult gymnastics class! I think you will love gymnastics....good luck with the finances start saving it is a expensive sport LOL

Michelle
    MichelleVA
    Mikayla 12 Mya 10 Zoe 7 Jalen 4

EDD 6/21/13
    We thought our family of 6 felt like heaven....someone from above thought we should be a family of 7!

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had Alison in it for a year. I like the disapline of the sport.

pepper
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My DS has been in since before 2 because he can do a split. He is 5 now and not too advanced, but can still do a split and other things that his fellow classmates cannot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast