FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Anyone have a Whirlpool Duet front loader dryer?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sweedie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anyone have a Whirlpool Duet front loader dryer?

I'm beside myself fuming. I've had my dryer all of 7 weeks and it keeps stopping and showing an F 70 error code. Whirlpool won't trouble shoot over the phone and this error code isn't in the manual!!!!

Now I have to wait for a service call. I spent $900 on this dryer and I'm pissed that it's not working and I have to go to MIL's to dry clothes.

Has anyone had this problem?

2. Advertisement

Rita22
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this on Google
    FIRST AND FOREMOST, I want to state that the following is completely my opinion to which I have arrived after troubleshooting this problem for the last 4-5 hours.

F70 = Overheating sensed causing dryer stop until temperature reaches(drops) below set level - determined by manufacturer

Can be caused by different contributing factors;

1. poor airflow

2. blocked air flow screen inside tumbler

3. clogged lint screen

4. slow tumbler (low revolutions)

NOTE;

Ironically, the fourth factor has been lurking behind the popular discussions on this problem that has exhibited itself on both the whirlpool and kenmore products with the main triage to have included inspection of the electrical connections made by the installer.

These electrical connections not followed properly with accordance to '4prong' NEMA 14-30R (30amp, 2-phase circuit outlet) with separate ground and neutral posts, as exhibited in the standard dryer installation manual, will cause your tumbler to run slow. Hence, the 4th factor which caused the 'F70' code stops the dryer from operating.

Now, you have corrected the wiring as necessary and eagerly place some stuff's in there and all seems well. But as soon as you place something large and wet (HEAVY/BUNDLE), you get the error code again, Geeeezzzzz, you thought you had it!

Okay, this is what you need to do;

1. make sure your air flow is adequate by really cleaning the duct (I stuck my hand through the wall duct and scraped off old hard lint that can collect humidity & even cut my finger). Also make sure your vent hose does not have any unnecessary elbows or squiggles in it ( I had an elbow/pan type and it is not good as the heat seems to reflect too much ). KEEP IT AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE - I KNOW IT'S HARD, BUT IT IS NECESSARY.

2. Refrain from using too many softener sheets as they can & will restrict the air flow screen inside the tumbler.

3. Make sure your lint screen is clean - wash it periodically as lint particles collect moisture and this in turn raised humidity.

4. Once you have verified your electrical connections as stated earlier in this posting, run a normal cycle with towels or something of the like so as to reset the sensors in the dryer.

What my wife keeps doing is to put a back in after it's Heavy Buncle cycle (because it's not fluffy) and the dryer start up with high heat and then senses over heat and then SHE GET'S THE FAMOUS F70. In cases like this, use the damp dry selection and that works great - or better yet just use the timed dry selection with low heat.

We just have to understand that someone sat down and figured out what and how they wanted to program the computer that determines how this particular machine is going to react.

THE MAIN THING TO REMEMBER IS THAT 'F70' SEEMS TO BE THERE TO PROTECT AGAINST OVERHEATING WHICH IN TURN CAN TURN TO A FIRE HAZARD!
    R

Mom to DS age 7

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.......

Leave the rest to God"

AmandaG
    loves essential oils.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    I've had my Duet for 4.5 years and haven't had any trouble. I'm sorry you're dealing with a new dryer giving you trouble plus the added frustration from the company! I hope you get it solved quickly.
    Amanda,
    blessed homeschooling mom to three beautiful princesses and and one handsome little prince!
    8/95 6/99 4/03 11/09

m/c 02/08

Sweedie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, thanks for the info Rita. It is the only explanation I've gotten from anyone.
    Somehow I feel worse after reading it. It sounds like it may be a chronic problem. UG

Amanda, I wonder how it is yours is fine. Maybe it's newer models?

PrincessBride
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We have Whirlpool Cabrio and recently had a problem with the washer. Just over a year old, too!!!! dh googled it and found their service manual online. He's looking it up for you. Is your dh handy? Mine fixed ours from what he found online and we never paid a service guy!!
    ~PBH~
    Mommy to a Grasshopper, a Fairy, a Butterfly and....a Tadpole!
    *Angelita Marie held in Grandma's arms until I come home & Precious Brother resting with them in the presence of Jesus*

Silver
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've had mine for about three weeks & have had no troubles...but now I'm paranoid.

Keri
    Last edited by Silver; 06-20-2008 at 10:01 PM.

agnes2712
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my duet for 3 years and havent had any trouble....sorry, I hope you didnt get a lemon. Can you take it back?
    Tammy
    (DS) Trevor 20 years old-College...Hooray!
    (DD) Avery Grace 4/12/06
    (DD) Carlee Bren 9/09/07 born at 29 weeks
    (DS) Conner Darris 9/09/07-9/29/07........20 days old
    my sweet boy....you are always in my heart

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Ours are 2 years old and we haven't had any problems yet either. (knock on wood!)
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

Dana
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mine is 3 years old and no problems.....thankfully. Hope yours is an easy fix!
    Dana

02/01/02
    08/20/04

mom_of_2_cuties
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Sweedie
    I'm beside myself fuming. I've had my dryer all of 7 weeks and it keeps stopping and showing an F 70 error code. Whirlpool won't trouble shoot over the phone and this error code isn't in the manual!!!!

Now I have to wait for a service call. I spent $900 on this dryer and I'm pissed that it's not working and I have to go to MIL's to dry clothes.

Has anyone had this problem?

I almost got that one, the sales lady said they were supposed to work really well, and she has had hers for a while with no problems. However she did say there have been known to be a couple of lemons out there like with many other brands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast