FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
n/p Kitchen renovation question (same as 2003 playgroup)

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Karin
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amazed

n/p Kitchen renovation question (same as 2003 playgroup)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ladies,

We are going to be doing major renovations on our house this fall. DH and I are butting heads re: the design of our kitchen. We are working with a friend of ours who is a designer/architecht (sp). He designed a beautiful kitchen for us. One of the things I wanted was an island with a granite countertop for us to eat around so we wouldn't have to eat in the dining room. Our sink will be in the island which will leave the whole back wall of our kitchen with beautiful windows looking out on our new deck What's the problem you ask?

DH doesn't like the idea of the sink being where we will be eating. It won't be that big of an island but big enough to eat around. He's worried about the sink being smelly especially after preparing a meal, and since it will be the only sink in the kitchen, he really would like the sink on the back wall with the counters. So, that would eliminate some of the windows and our kitchen would basically be the same as now with just new cabinets, appliances and windows. I REALLY want a new design. If we do what dh wants, we'd have to bump out the kitchen about 4 feet to fit an island in. I really don't want to do that. VERY expensive!

If you have an island, where is your sink? Do you eat around it?

Geez, I never knew that home renovations could be so stressful If you've been through renovations before how do you and your dh see eye to eye!

2. Advertisement

lilysmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    on our house plan the range was supposed to be in the island. i opted to not having anything on the island and i am sooooo glad i did this. our island isn't overly large and i love being able to make lunches, do crafts, whatever and the whole island is available.

i think im with your dh on this one. however, it is truly just a preference.
    Mom to Lily & Claire

susane
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would want the sink not in the island either. I just can't see sitting beside it to eat. JMO
    Susan
    Jake 8 yrs old
    Tyler 6 yrs old

AmymOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My sink is on the back wall, nothing in the island. I too, wouldn't want to eat around a sink.

Luckily, dh and I have about the same exact taste on things so when we did a renovation on our bathroom and kitchen about 7yrs. ago we agreed on everything.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll turn out beautiful whichever way you decide.
    "If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

Amy, mom to:
    DD N-7/24/89
    DS C-3/30/91
    DS M-9/01/93
    DD C-9/29/95

I'm at 50/50...2 of the 4 is of legal age and I still have my sanity...well somedays anyway!

StacyD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I have to agree with your dh on this one, sorry.
    God Blessed us with two wonderful boys
    B 1997 from our third IVF and ICSI
    G 1998 from our fourth IVF, ICSI and AH

Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick.
    We are flexible.

Karin
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Is the island all one level? If not would DH feel better about the sink if it were below the level of eating side? Can the sink be on the opposite wall. I know we get stuck with the idea that the sink must face the window and look out, but in reality, you are only at the sink for very short periods of time especially if you are a dishwasher family.

when it comes to a woman's home, she wants it the way she wants it, am I right?

Brad
    spelled 'architect'

We do have the option of going two levels (the sink being the higher level) It doesn't matter to my dh, he does NOT want the sink in the island. Our kitchen is on the small size (house is 30 years old). No, the sink most likely could not be on the opposite wall. That will be a built in cabinet facing the other wall.

Yes, you are right! I want it the way I want it! LOL! DH is getting way too picky about the kitchen. He doesn't even cook all that much go figure!!!
    "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things"

LeslieT
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a little bar or vegetable sink, it wouldn't be bad. But the main sink, I wouldn't want to eat around that either. Have to agree with your DH. And I think you'd regret not having the total space of the island clear for eating or other things, especially if you plan on that being your main eating area.

I know you really like the idea of the totally open space for windows onto your deck. how it will look. But I think later you'll regret not having more usable, open counter space because of that open window space.
    Leslie (43)
    M/C #1 Oct'01 at 8.5wks (natural cycle)
    DD Megan Elizabeth born December 5, 2002 via c-section (complete previa) at 37wks (Clomid cycle)
    M/C #2 October 2003 at 9 wks (Clomid cycle)
    M/C #3 May 2004 at 11.5wks (Clomid cycle)
    DD Maren Elise born May 3, 2005 via repeat c-section 38.5wks (Clomid/IUI cycle)

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin
    Geez, I never knew that home renovations could be so stressful If you've been through renovations before how do you and your dh see eye to eye!
    _
    If you think it's bad now, wait until the work has started and your kitchen is torn apart and this or that hasn't arrived and you are doing dishes in the garage or the bathtub....

Really, home renovation (kitchen being the worst) is a good test of a relationship!

On the sink question, I agree with DH. I would not want to eat at the island with the sink, especially if it's the only sink in the room. Go back to the designer and tell them you need an alternative design or 2.

I know you want it this way but if you push, DH will be fuming about it for YEARS, everytime he sits down to eat by the sink.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

shel in mi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small island (so wish it was bigger) so no room to eat there. I like big islands with nothing on them. I do think that having anything on it just makes it more cluttered and can get in the way. I have my sink on an outside counter with two huge windows that go all the way to the countertop. My SIL has huge windows above her sink too. I am not understanding the part about not being able to have windows if you have the sink there??? But that could totally be just me.

As far as the island being two different levels, my old neighbor had that and pulled it out, and it not being there has made the kitchen seem much bigger. This was something we were all shocked by.

Sorry I am not more on your side. Good luck and have fun!

shel
    me 36 dh 36

m/c 10/20/95 10 weeks
    ds Michael John 11/13/96
    15 months ttc#2, 3 months clomid 100mg
    ds Andrew James 2/3/00
    16 months ttc#3, 5 months clomid, IUI

7/2003 etopic

ds Luke Gabriel 1/5/05

jayla
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We're about to re do a house & my DH had the same thoughts as your DH about sink/island placement.

I think an island without a sink would look better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast