FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Brachycephaly

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    adamsfammom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Brachycephaly

My 4 month old (beautiful) dd has been diagnosed with brachycephaly or misshapen head. The back of her head is flat, supposedly from sleeping on her back. We were referred to a company that makes corrective "headbands", but it seems like a lot to put my dd through and it costs $3,000. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, did you get the headband or helmet? If not, did your child's head correct itself? Any advice is soooo appreciated. This is our first child and we are unfamiliar with having to make important decisions like this.

2. Advertisement

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I would pay and get the helmet, if your ped advises it. Your daughter's head deserves to be as perfect as possible. A couple of my kids all have weird flat spots on the back/tops of their heads. I wish they didn't .

MissyMarie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    would a bumbo chair be helpful? Since it would give her the ability to sit up without leaning back on something? Or facing forward in a sling or bjorn carrier? Just trying to think of ideas. I'd probably get a 2nd opinion and then go ahead and get the helment.

DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    There is a mom on the April 2006 playgroup board who had the same situation with her daughter. I believe she decided not to get the helmet. I will put a link to this thread for her to answer any questions you might have.
    Hilary (37) DH (40)
    IUI #4 BFP 9/05 Jared Ian born 5/6/06
    IVF#1 BFP 3/09 Gabriel Ethan born 11/8/09

Please DH gets a new kidney ASAP!

Twinkle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My now 6 yr old nephew, had it when he was an infant. He wore a helmet for about 6 mos (from 5.5 mos to 11.5). He wore it 23 hrs a day, and didn't mind wearing it at all (his parents were more bothered by it than he was). In a perfect world, he would have worn it for a bit longer but as he got older he became able take it off by himself. His head is still slightly flat but the helmet really did make a huge difference and once his hair grew in, it wasn't noticeable.

ravenly
    ENLIGHTENED

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylie
    I would pay and get the helmet, if your ped advises it. Your daughter's head deserves to be as perfect as possible. A couple of my kids all have weird flat spots on the back/tops of their heads. I wish they didn't .
    I agree. My Ped did NOT advise getting the helmet when Alex had the same thing. She said it would round itself out. Well, it didn't. I will say you do not notice it too much with all of his hair, but when I bathe him it is VERY noticeable. Its lopsided and looks funny. Whats worse, he is extremely tiny for his age, (He is UNDER the 1st percentile, he is not even on the charts) but his head measures 25th percentile so his head looks gargantuan compared to his body and any flaw on it will stick out. I'd say if you can afford it, get it. I think they get used to the helmet.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

Mahatma Gandhi

Littlechum
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I don't have personal experience with this, but I do know a few kids who wore helmets as babies and now have nicely shaped heads.

Jrmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It was recomended for mackenzie but we decided not to do it because it wasn't severe, and our insurance covered it. Also having a girl she will have hair to cover the flat spot on her head (unless she shaves her head bald!)
    Mommy to: M (7/06), M (3/08), E(3/08)

Rebekah
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my twin dd's had a pretty big flat spot on the back/side of her head. (she is now 11 years old!) and no one ever recommended we do anything about it....once she started sitting up on her own and not laying on it all the time it corrected itself. Her head is perfect now!
    Very blessed SAHM to:
    16 16 10 5
    "It is no slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us."

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    I say DO IT. I wish we would have had the option with our son. We did not get him until he was 4.5 months old and due to neglect (disclaimer...this was just in my sons case I'm referring not anyone else ) and his low tone and that he was medically fragile...adding a helmet would have been too much. When we got him his head was so flat and his neck muscles had atrophied.

He's 7 now and it has rounded out a bit and he has really thick hair. I do not think anyone would notice it unless I pointed it out....or on the rare occasion we give him a buzz cut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast