FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How long does a baby stay in a cradle?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wishing
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

How long does a baby stay in a cradle?

Ok I am trying to deside if I should buy a cradle. Did anyone use one? if so how long was the baby in it. The thing is that I will be moving when the baby is about 8 months old, and I want to avoid putting up the crib twice incase it gets damaged. I am wondering how fast a baby out grows the cradle?

2. Advertisement

MarinaTwinMom
    says hello!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    We had a cradle that we used only briefly with our twins, probably less than a month. It was a family heirloom, so we didn't actually buy it. I always felt just a little less than secure with a baby in it, even though there was no way they could sit up or climb out. I always felt safer with them in a crib.

If I were you, I would go with just a crib, especially since you will be moving.

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The shortest one of my children stayed in the cradle was 1 week--he scooted from birth and kept getting stuck in the corner. I had another child that stayed in it for 6 months.

Twinkle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We used a pack & play rather than a crib. She slept init in our room for 4 mos before we moved to her to the crib in her room. We then moved it dowstairs and continued to use it for another year or more.

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    We used a cradle until our little ones could pull themselves up by grabbing the sides, about 5-6 months. I have a two story home and that is why I wanted a place in the living room to lay the babies. I put a mobile on the cradle when I had the twins, it would help entertain one of them while we ate our dinner !

MarinaTwinMom
    says hello!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    I think some pack 'n plays have "cradle" attachments, too ... that might be an option for you.

Jane Smith
    long time FTer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I'm assuming that when you say cradle, you mean a crib. Correct me if I'm wrong. Having said that, my boys are almost 2.5 yrs old and still in their cribs...

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2boys4me
    I'm assuming that when you say cradle, you mean a crib. Correct me if I'm wrong. Having said that, my boys are almost 2.5 yrs old and still in their cribs...

I think she means that she's wondering if she can make due with a cradle till she moves, then put up the crib just once in her new home (which there is no way, an 8 month old could pull up and topple right out of a cradle). If it were me I'd put up the crib and get my baby used to sleeping in it, and avoid trying to switch beds in a new home. I think a lot of little ones would have a hard time adjusting. Taking the crib apart shouldn't be a problem. By the time your baby is 8 months old you will hopefully have him/her in a great sleep routine. I think if you try to go from a pack n play or any other bed to a crib you might run into problems. But you never know, of course! I would just stick with the crib from the start and not worry about moving it.

doihavtasay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Callum was in his cradle til for about 4 or 5 months. I agree with what Kylie said above, though, in your case, I'd just go with a crib all the way and not buy a cradle.
    Dina
    10 7 4 3

Our family is complete.

robine
    in line for the re education camp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cold
    3 months was what we got out of a borrowed cradle...Hardly worth the time and effort of dragging it upstairs
    in
    When the loudest opponent of your policies achieves his greatest success because of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast