FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Progesterone side effect: itchiness?

Blossomo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Progesterone side effect: itchiness?

Hi gals. My 2WW ends tomorrow (probably a BFN -- we had to abandon an IVF cycle and instead did an IUI with only one follicle). But until I get the expected bad news, I still have to take my nasty progesterone in oil injections.

For the last couple of days, I have been ITCHY. Mostly on my hands and feet, but also in the pubic area (one could describe it as an itchy "muff" ). My hands were so inflamed and itchy that it woke me up in the middle of the night. It took two Benadryls and dipping them in an ice water bath to knock down the itching enough for me to fall asleep. Today, my feet and ankles are itching like crazy.

I haven't eaten anything unusual, and there don't seem to be any insect bite marks, so I'm wondering if this is a side effect of the progesterone. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Blossomo
    TTC#1 almost 3 years
    6 mos. Clomid, 2 w/IUI
    1 failed IVF cycle, 1 abandoned IVF

2. Advertisement

mamamolly
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's probably a coincidence, but when I had my BFP I was itchy starting right around the time of my positive, for about 3 weeks straight! I don't know if the PG somehow caused it. But who knows, maybe it's an obscure PG symptom. (On that cycle I was on progesterone suppositories, not PIO, since it was an IUI cycle. On my PIO/IVF cycle, no itchies and BFN)

DixieDoolittle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am an itchy progesterone sufferer. It happens everytime I'm on this foul stuff.
    I already have eczema, but by the end of the 2ww, I'm scratching and flaking and have wonderful patches of dandruff on my scalp. It generally goes away about a week to two weeks AFTER the last injection.

After my first IVF, while my hormones were reshuffling back to "normal" I had microderm abrasion on my face to help my skin recover and it helped. It was expensive (about $200 - the cost of a typical monitoring appointment!), but I decided to consider it a necessary side of treatment.

By the way, when I'm stimming and full of estrogen, my skin looks the best it's ever looked! So, there's the up and the down of doing a cycle!
    Dixie

Me 40 DH 49

FSH 15.5, 7.5

2 IUIs, 2 IVFs = Thomas delivered at 28 weeks 1/09

TTC #2 on our own - 13 times is the charm! BFP 6/10!