FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Anyone have or know about long luteal phase?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    fluffybunny
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Anyone have or know about long luteal phase?

AF has never really been regular for me. My cycle can be anywhere from 27 days to 34 days long. What I have noticed is that I do usually seem to ovulate about the same time each month. Its the luteal phase that is usually off. I know that the luteal phase should be between 10 - 14 days. Last cycle my luteal phase lasted 20 days. This is common for me to have a long luteal phase. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons that my RE has had me take clomid.
    I have looked for information on line about luteal phase defect (LPD) and can only find info about how a SHORT luteal phase can cause IF. I can't seem to find anything about a luteal phase that is too LONG. Anyone else have a really long luteal phase that can help explain how this would add to IF? Whats going on with my body that might hinder implantation? And what has your RE done to help adjust to this problem?
    Does this make sense to anyone?
    FB

2. Advertisement

jules75
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fluffy-
    You and I are in the same boat. I went off the pill 2 years ago and my luteal phase is soooo long- a couple of times it was 5 weeks long!!! My cycle has been a regualr (for me) 32-34 days the last 4 months but 2 of those I was on clomid. My dr seemed stumped also because like you opk's indicate that I O at cd14 or cd15 but then my luteal phase is all out of whack. I am wondering if my progesterone isn't outta whack or some hormone isn't doing what its suppose to??? My dh and I have to decided to go back to ttc naturally. I do O and have had the last 4 cycles consistently and I have been pg (8yr old dd from prev marriage-and also pg last july w/current dh-unfortunately I had a m/c at 9 weeks) my dh's SA came back normal so the luteal phase problem might be what's causing the problem. I am afraid that w/o the clomid I will go back to being all messed up again-I guess I'll have to wait and see. I am glad that I am not the only one w/the opposite luteal phase defect-too long instead of too short. Maybe we'll get some good advice and input here. I was glad to see your post!!

Jules

Kitty33
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently having the same problem. I was on 150mg of Clomid this month. I "O"ed on cd 15 and assumed I'd have AF around cd 29 or 30. NO!!! I waited to test because I knew it would be BFN. Started spotting around day 38, but it stopped. Never had actual flow. Went to the doctor on cd 43 and of couse we got the final BFN. He wants me to take Prometrium to iduce AF. I think I should just let nature take it's course. I am now on cd 45 and no signs of AF. Obviously my lutural phase is non-stop. Wish I knew why! Do you guys know why? Why are our bodies doing this if we're not pg?

jules75
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kitty-

I am not sure why this happens but it is soooo frustrating!!! I always feel that if I am not pg just let AF come so that the next cycle can begin!! ARRRGGG!!! I've sworn that my body hates me and is betraying me-LOL!!!! I think maybe 6 years on the pill really messed me up-it makes me never want to go on it again!!! I am feeling better daily about not being on the Clomid-I feel physically and mentally healthier. I feel like I am getting my life back. I am just a little curious to see if I will have a32-34 day cycle again-maybe my body is getting back to normal-we'll see I guess. I tried to look up long luteal phase on the internet and could only find info about short luteal phase problems. Are we long luteal phasers that rare???? HMMMMMM....

Jules