FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Best Bottles for Newborn with Reflux

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

Best Bottles for Newborn with Reflux

My DS is six weeks today and suffers from reflux. I BF'd and supplemented for the first month and then due to gaining issues we started formula feeding full time. He is on Enfamil AR.

He is not on any medication.

He is still very gassy and very spitty. I have been using Born Free bottles and was advised to try the Dr. Brown's. Do you think it is worth the investment in a whole new set of bottles? Will it really help?

He just seems so unhappy a lot of the time and screeches like he is in pain from the gas.
    Hilary (37) DH (40)
    IUI #4 BFP 9/05 Jared Ian born 5/6/06
    IVF#1 BFP 3/09 Gabriel Ethan born 11/8/09

Please DH gets a new kidney ASAP!

2. Advertisement

Lisa Canoe
    is...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Asleep
    We used the born free bottles too. It helped vs bottles without valves. It got to the point that they wouldn't drink from any other bottle.
    Lisa Canoe Been there, done that, got the Ya-Ya Princess T-Shirt
    m/c 11/01 m/c 6/02
    M & J b. 9/12/07 * 36 weeks 1 day * Everyone home 10/9/07

IWantToBeAMommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi:

Has anyone had any success with the Avent bottles? I read that Avent is best for colic. My little one who has GERD also has colic.

Thanks.

P.S. I had no idea there was a GERD board until I saw this question posted.
    Last edited by IWantToBeAMommy; 12-29-2009 at 03:40 AM.
    J (30)

Twin boys born at 37 weeks, 2 days!

DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    I have steered clear Avent because I have heart they leak badle.
    Hilary (37) DH (40)

Bexx
    Nothing tastes as good as thin feels, I have to keep telling myself this!
    BC-SAHM & Parenting One Child
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Annaliese has reflux and we also had been on Enfamil AR until a few days ago. She was just so darn unhappy all of the time and so I finally made the decision on my own to change her to Similac Sensitive RS (my ped didn't want us to change but I had to do something). She has been a MUCH happier baby and I wish I would have changed her formula earlier. As for bottles, we have always used Dr. Brown's because several of my friends swore by them. I don't know if there is much difference but I have so many of them that I hate to change since I don't know if it would really make a difference or not. But now with the Prevacid and the Similac, she seems to be a much calmer, happier baby and she is even sleeping 9 hours at night for several nights in a row!!!!!!!! And she squeals in delight now! I don't know if it was the formula change or not but if it wasn't it was sure a weird coincidence.
    ~Becky (34) DH & Best Friend~Chris (35)
    High School Sweethearts Married 11 Years
    ~ Natural Miracle After 6 Failed IUI's

DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Went back to the Dr. and she switched Gabe to Nutramigen and gave me a prescription for Prevacid.

She said I should thicken the Nutramigen with the rice cereal because of the spit up issues. Hopefully this will help!
    Hilary (37) DH (40)

Bexx
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by czarinahil View Post
    Went back to the Dr. and she switched Gabe to Nutramigen and gave me a prescription for Prevacid.

She said I should thicken the Nutramigen with the rice cereal because of the spit up issues. Hopefully this will help!
    Oh good, I hope that will work for you! I do want to mention something about the Prevacid that we learned the hard way. It loses it effectiveness before the month is over so after talking with the pharmacist, we are getting it refilled 7 days early so that it doesn't have a chance to lose it's potency. This stinks because it's really expensive because it's not on our RX formulary list but she needs it so we just do it. And I'm sure they told you but it has to be refrigerated or it won't last as long either.

We went from Enfamil Premium to Enfamil AR and when that didn't help her I just decided to switch brands altogether. I really hope the Nutramigen works for him. Keep me updated I would love to know how he's doing with everything. Take care!

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantToBeAMommy View Post
    Hi:

Has anyone had any success with the Avent bottles? I read that Avent is best for colic. My little one who has GERD also has colic.

Thanks.

P.S. I had no idea there was a GERD board until I saw this question posted.
    We used Avent bottles and have had no problems with the leaking. I am very happy with those bottles.

Dawn

Bexx
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by czarinahil View Post

Hilary,
    I wanted to add also that the Prevacid is one of those medications that has to be built up in his system before it really starts working, so it can take up to 10 days before you will really notice a complete difference. It took Annaliese about 7 days before we could see the effect and she has been great with it since then!

ssh
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, just saw this post and thought I would tell you our experience. DD was diagnosed with reflux at 6 week (also 5.5 weeks preemie) and was put on zantac, at 12 weeks we swtiched per to prilosec ... I also was recommended to use Dr. Browns and was so glad I did. They are a bit of a pain to clean but it is worth it. There is a special value that allows the air to pass through a tube to the end of the bottle (in the air away from baby's mouth) and it definitely helped. It did not solve our reflux issues but I would try them.

DD was then switched to prevacid (after months of agony, switching bottles, adding cereal to thicken, etc. I actually switched DD to Enfamil AR which helped but we finally went to a GI at 9 months and he put her on prevacid. Best decision ever! Honestly DD had not slept through the night for the previous 6 weeks and was up 3-4 hours per night, was totally exhausted and in pain. First night on prevacid she slept the whole night straight 12 hours.

If you are frustrated at any point, don't wait like I did. Insist you see a GI. I love my pedi but it took a long time for me to push for the appt and it made all the difference for my DD and me.

DD was on prevacid until 3 years old... we tried weaning her off meds several times. It took a while. She still gets an upset stomach, but now we just give her Pepcid Complete chewable tablets. She's 5 years old... you will get through this. It's just so hard when they are so small and most people just don't understand.

Best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast