FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Has anyone taken Phentermine??

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Julester
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Has anyone taken Phentermine??

Just curious. A RN friend of mine has just started taking it along with a pretty regimented exercise program and has lost like 20 lbs. She is under supervision with her Dr. but I didn't know if you all heard about this? I would really like to drop a few pounds before cycling again. Still have about 15 lbs to go to get to my pre-PG weight. I don't want to screw up anything when I do cycle.....not into throwing $$$ out the window you know?

I was just wondering if you have heard anything good/bad about it.

2. Advertisement

MistyA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phentermine is a stimulant. It is an amphetamine. Your body quickly becomes use to this drug so after a month on it, you will not have the same effect. This is one of the ingredients in the "Phen-fen" also. It does cause heart problems when taken for a long period of time. I would not suggest this medication if you are going to TTC anytime soon. I hope this helps.
    MistyA

Me:31
    Dh:37
    TTC: 3 years
    Lap#1 3/90 endo - stage 2
    Hsg: 7/03 clear
    Lap#2 8/03 endo - stage 2, adhesions, bilat. fallopian cysts
    IUI canceled on 10/03 do to no LH surge on Clomid 100mg
    IUI#1 Clomid 150mg 11/3/03 ~ BFN
    11/26/03 b/w back: dx with high FSH.
    5/25/04 Gastric Bypass Surgery-taking a break from ttc due to this! Will be back a healthier, happier, and lighter lady!!

~*~ Ya-Ya! Majesty of crafts, gardening, reading & being with DH whom will defeat IF from California people ~*~

~*~ Every great thing achieved was once considered impossible ~*~

ZZZZZZ1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Misty your right that this drug was part of the phen-fen BUT wrong on the fact that the Phentermine was not the one to harm the heart.

I have been on this off and on and have done well.

barancouda
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I am sure you have already looked this up on the internet but here you go.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a682187.html I think this is one of those drugs you want want to use some sort of birth control while taking. I know how stupid, we are on a infertility website. But you never know if 5 lbs lost will put you back in the game. You would hate to think you had been taking something harmful for a month(or longer) and then find out you are pregnant.
    Sonya

wish2beamom
    is stressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    Hi Julie I took Phentermine for about 6months and it was AWFUL! Yes it helped me lose weight but that was because of all the vomiting and diarrhea (sorry tmi) I had. It also made me moody and irritable. Please do your research it is important that you know what you are putting into your body. My personal opinion is to not use phentermine because it is not worth having to be near a bathroom all the time.

Christy

CdeLeon
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took Phentermine for 3 months and did loose the weight, but at that point I wasn't trying to get preg....I am like the others, look into it before you start...I did not have any side affetcs form the pill, just WIRED all the time...and you can get dependent on this pill
    Cindy 27/ DH 26
    IVF 1 cancelled poor response
    IVF 2 cancelled poor response
    IVF 3 Finally a full cycle!! Transfer 2 8 cell Day 3 BF*****N June 30, 2004

ChildlessArmyWi
    TTC baby #2
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cold
    I realize this is a super old thread but want to chime in in case anyone searches for Phentermine. When dh was still active army, my RE out me on it during his last deployment (2010). I lost 65 lbs kept it off for a little over a year. It didn't stay off ling. I've gained the weight back and I now have a mvr (mitral valve regurgitation) from being on the meds. I didn't get energy like some others do. Instead, it made me tired all the time. I barely ate and I started to suffer from severe vitamin B and D deficiency. I did find though as ling as I'm under a certain weight my cycles will come on their own. I'm back to trying to lose weight without any medications.

Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry
    There was a lawsuit against that drug manufacturer because of the heart problems. I'd recommend contacting someone... I'm sure they still have open cases on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Me- 41 Secondary Infertility, Hydrosalpinx, DH- 26 No known defects
    My Own Eggs- IVF 10/12 BFN, IVF 12/12 BFN, FET 1/13 BFN, IVF 2/13 BFN
    Donor Eggs- IVF 4/13 Frozen Eggs BFN, IVF 7/13 Fresh Donor eSet BFN, FET 8/13 BFN; FET eSET 10/13 BFN; FET of 2 11/13 BFP, first beta 304, second 1106, third 10246 (5w4d pg) u/s shows ONE bean!

My blog - Normal People Don't Talk About This

jimjim111
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, super old thread.

but still my couple of word, maybe someone finds them helpful:

As a pharmacy student who is also working, I've asked my pharmacist about Phen diet pills and her response was, "Phentermine works for 3 months and then it stops working." I would say avoid it and stick with the basics.
    Last edited by jimjim111; 08-15-2015 at 12:15 PM.

smithmm
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

BUY HIGH QUALITY REAL/FAKE PASSPORT(whatsapp +61411679961)or(Whatsapp+447459247070)

BUY HIGH QUALITY REAL/FAKE PASSPORT(whatsapp +61411679961)or(Whatsapp+447459247070)