FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Starting to look into fostering to adopt. Help with the process..

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    mbrackett
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to look into fostering to adopt. Help with the process..

My husband and I are thinking about fostering to adopt. We have been struggling the fertility battle for about 3 years and looks like it's coming to close. The most important thing is really want to be parents so adoption has always been on the table. If you have experience with fostering to adopt i would to hear what the process looks like. We live in California since I know it's different in every state. We really want to foster a baby under 6 months and heard that starting as a foster parent you're more likely to get a infant.
    Any thoughts would be great

2. Advertisement

gardensparrow
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm sorry you've been struggling with infertility. I know what a toll that can take on you. But that's wonderful you and your husband are willing to consider adoption and specifically fostering to adopt. There are so many kids in the foster system in need of a loving home. And like you said, it will differ a bit from state to state. But for California I believe you'd first want to look at the California Department of Social Services site. They have an adoption FAQ on there that gives a run down of adoption agencies, regulations, etc. But, in general, after you select an agency, you'll complete an application, have a background check, then undergo a home study (conducted by the agency). Hope this helps!

ChinaMonkeys
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrackett View Post
    My husband and I are thinking about fostering to adopt. We have been struggling the fertility battle for about 3 years and looks like it's coming to close. The most important thing is really want to be parents so adoption has always been on the table. If you have experience with fostering to adopt i would to hear what the process looks like. We live in California since I know it's different in every state. We really want to foster a baby under 6 months and heard that starting as a foster parent you're more likely to get a infant.
    Any thoughts would be great
    I am not trying to be ' negative ' , but I would like to ' highly ' question who y'all have been talking to??

In California the automatic Advocacy with under the age of 8 years old is ' Reunification ' with either the ' Birth Family ' or other type of Family Member relationship.

There is only one Infant listed on the State of California's Website and she is part of a Sibling Group of 5 ' Little Ones ' . I think they are all under the age of 8 years old. That is rare though!!

Personally, as a Mom (who did not struggle through ' Fertility Issues ' . ) As well as Professionally I would find this type of Advocacy to be very extremely and emotionally heartbreaking??

I can't tell also please if you are looking to do ' Fostering ' as ' Temporary Parenting ' or on a Permanent Factor as well also por favour or please??

Professionally, I have heard also ' State of California will be privitizing Foster Care Services and or Advocacy. As the State of California wants out of it sometime in the very near Future. '

I would also wait and see or be asking what or where the above goes as well also??

Beth641
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can not give you any technical suggestion but can advise you. if you adopt a baby then give him all your love.. god bless you

janessa642
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    you dont have any other choice. all the best

ChinaMonkeys
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I would also recommend is posting your questions on more high volume or high Traffic Adoption forums as well also...

Beth641
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMonkeys View Post
    What I would also recommend is posting your questions on more high volume or high Traffic Adoption forums as well also...
    so where is that??? can you tell?

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    That was a path I pursued. Most of my friends adopted through a private agency, but foster-adopt felt right to me. Adoption is often challenging in any case, so I set my expectations for 3-5 placements (min 3 yrs), building a relationship with the caseworker for preferential placement of a relatively low-needs, low-risk child - I wasn't up for a high-needs baby. My friend in TX (semi-retired) fostered newborns in chemical withdrawal. Some for as little as 1-4 months, more for 1-2 years; she adopted her son when he was 3 (she had cared for him since birth). Our foster son (school age) had an infant brother put into foster care at birth, however the mother was alcoholic and that's one of the more challenging conditions for a child, an experienced foster family cared for him and within the year adopted him. Our path went a different way but we expect to foster again (and adopt?) in the future.

ChinaMonkeys
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    ' The Bump '

**************.com

Beth641
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm. got it..