FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
What do you put in your "traditional" chicken salad?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ClaireNola
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What do you put in your "traditional" chicken salad?

I have a killer recipe from southern living, but it would mean a trip to the store (calls for red and yellow peppers).

What do you guys put in yours? Hoping I can provide some kind of supper tonight I have chicken, celery, and onion, so should be a good start???

thanks!

2. Advertisement

misskitty
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Sun dried tomatoes!

I have an awesome recipe that calls for sundried tomatoes (preferable packed in oil) and rosemary. I don't know if you have that in the cupboard, but maybe if you're a super-foodie you do.

Normita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayo and some kind of fruit would be good. Cut up seedless grapes and add them or maybe some pineapple if you have any. Apples would be good, too. Black olives are good in chicken salad if you have them.

I usually put in a fair amount of celery. I go easy on the onion, or leave it out because it overwhelms the flavor of the chicken and fruit/veg IMO.
    Norma

Mom to ME, born 6/4/00, International Adoption

2 angels in heaven 9/3/98 and 2/15/00

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just put chicken, mayo, sweet pickle relish, halved grapes, and walnuts (VERY coarsely chopped) with salt to taste. I let the huge chunks of walnut be my crunch...it's so simple, but so very yummy!!!

Amy
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

ClaireNola
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions!! Gosh, I LOVE chicken salad! I didn't have sundried tomatoes (not a true foodie, but the foodie test already let me kow that

I did use: black olives, marinated artichoke hearts, a tiny bit of red onion (you are so right about the onion, Norma , lots of celery (and it was the best part-- the heart of my package of celery hearts), and slivered roasted almonds. And mayo of course. It was fantastic, although I was out of bread and had to eat it on melba toast (dh had it on the heels of the bread)-- Reagan's been eating 3 cheese sandwiches a day, so I keep running low.

Thanks again!

Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    melanie -- I love chicken salad too! My friends mom is a caterer and she makes the BEST chicken salad. I made some last night and it's so good. She puts her chicken in the cuisinart and pulses it pretty fine. She mixes equal parts of mayo and sour cream, salt and pepper. That's it! It has such a great, simple taste.
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03

ClaireNola
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Robbie
    melanie -- I love chicken salad too! My friends mom is a caterer and she makes the BEST chicken salad. I made some last night and it's so good. She puts her chicken in the cuisinart and pulses it pretty fine. She mixes equal parts of mayo and sour cream, salt and pepper. That's it! It has such a great, simple taste.
    I'll have to try the sour cream next time!

The other thing I did was add 4 or 5 bayleaves to the water when boiling the chicken. And I didn't overcook it like I usually do (I'm soooo paranoid about undercooked chicken).

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love sunflower seeds in mine. Yum, I love chicken salad too.

Melinda

PS I love melba toast, so that sounds good to me!

kutiepitutti
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireNola
    marinated artichoke hearts,

Thanks again!
    OMG! I never thought to add the artichoke hearts in, will definitely try that next time I make some, which may be this weekend!! Did you chop them up before adding?
    Christine

Proud mom of Ty Keith (3/2/91)
    and Taryn Sara-Christine (12/12/01)
    and 2 angels in heaven

WWhite
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I make min ewith the chicken, slivered almonds, red grapes, purple grapes, and .......cool whip. Add cool whip and a little bit of mayo and put it on butter croissants! People love them! Give it a try - I think you will be surprised that the coolwhip just adds a creamy flavor, not sweet.
    mom to three great boys 8, 6, 6

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast