FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
yuck- I got food poisoning yesterday!  (and DH/friend food poisoning) (share yours)

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yuck- I got food poisoning yesterday! (and DH/friend food poisoning) (share yours)

And I didn't even know it!

I went out with a friend for a drink and appetizer around 4:30pm We shared a seafood ceviche and each had 1 and 1/2 pints of beer. I went home, had dinner, and then my stomach and insides started feeling SO sick! I thought it was from our dinner (Tilapia on the grill) but then DH and DD were fine and had eaten it too. I thought it was from the beer (I had had more at home too)... I don't know why the ceviche never even crossed my mind! I willed myself not to throw up and even took tums before bed. Today, I felt slightly ill all day and lethargic too. I kept attributing it to other things (I have a cold, allergies, the AC at work was broken, lack of sleep, and so on)... Anyway... my friend called tonight and asked if anyone in my family was sick because she thought she had caught something from us... I said yes, me! She said- describe your symptoms and I told her... and she said YES! Same thing! Finally the lightbulb went off (call us both very slow!)

Anyway... I will NEVER order that again there and am thinking of calling them and telling them!

OK.... since I typed out SO much I'll also share that DH had a horrible case of hives about 1 month ago after we had eaten sushi. We thought it was possible from the soft shell crabs or possibly something outdoors- he's allergic to SO much outdoors. 24 hrs later he got hives again and way worse than the initial breakout. He went to an allergist last weekend and had testing. The allergist told him it was a CLASSIC reaction to raw tuna that has gone slightly bad!

And last.... our next door neighbor/very good friend, just got horrific food poisoning from a bar burger at another place that we love in town.

What is up with all these restaurants?! 3 in the same town in such a short period!

SO.... share your food poisoning story here if you like!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

2. Advertisement

Amyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had my worst case of food poisoning when I was a sophmore in high school. My Dad (parents were divorced and I lived with my Dad) and brother had gone on their annual hunting trip and for the first time I got to stay home alone with my best friend staying over (her parents lived next door). We went out to lunch with some other friends. Me and one of my friends had Taco Bell and everyone else had Burger King. Fast forward a couple hours and my friend and I are sitting in my Dad's Trailblazer seats getting ready for the game to start. My stomach is kinda upset so I go and get a 7-Up thinking that would help. Well it just gets worse and while we're standing up for the National Anthem I can't hold it in anymore and I try to leave our seats quickly, but I'm not quick enough and I puke all over the people in front of us and all over the seats - plus it's fairly quiet so it seems like everyone is looking at me. I went to the bathrooms and got sick again and then went to the first aid tent. I was sick for 3 days straight and the following Thursday was Thanksgiving and I couldn't eat any of the traditional food - I think I ate dry toast for about a week. My friend who joined me in eating Taco Bell was also very sick - we didn't make the connection until a week later when we were both back at school. It was horrid.
    Amy
    Mommy to Sam (August 2002) and Lucy (December 2005)

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I broke out in hives once over some spoiled shrimp (we think) at a seafood restaurant. Hives are HORRIBLE... I've never itched soooo bad in all of my life. It was like having a million mosquito bites. I ran scalding water over my arms to get some relief. The burn felt so good. I don't have any allergies to seafood that I know of and love the stuff...but just a few hours after dinner that night and WHAM!

Amy
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

Fossette
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh...Pizzeria Uno. Flashback to 1994, friday evening, Boston, okay Cambridge, Mass. A little tiny bit of backstory--this is the night before future dh and I (along with 2 other people) are leaving Mass with a minivan full of stuff to move to Atlanta.

We ordered chicken fingers, I ate them as a meal (everyone else had pizza). Fast forward to Sunday morning when I wake up so sick I can't even stand and have to have future dh hold me up to shower. I spend the entire drive from VA (where we'd stopped for the night) to Atlanta having them stop so I can alternate puking with the other toilet needing activity. We stop for tums, mylanta, pepto, immodium, you name it. Took us 14 hours to go what should have taken us 8. We get in and I meet future MIL for the first time. She insists I need saltines and jell-o water. Puts me in the guest bedroom to sleep. Wake a few hours later in a VERY big strange house-want my pepto, get lost trying to find it. Finally find my way downstairs, find pepto, fall asleep on floor. Next morning MIL takes me to the hospital where she was an ER RN--she does my cath and they take blood---ahhh, bad chicken.

I was sick for over 3 weeks including multiple ER visits for severe dehydration. Took me years before I'd eat chicken fingers again and even longer before I'd go in a Pizzeria Uno (where I clearly never order chicken)
    My miracles: M & A-2002 & C-2004!

Current Live Auctions Palm Pilot & Co Sleeper:
    Palm Pilot
    Co Sleeper

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fossette -- you clearly get 5 stars!!! Wow! Was that your first time meeting MIL? And have her doing your catheter? LOL I know I shouldn't laugh, but just the ironic upsurdity of it gives me a chuckle!!!! That had to have been horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention the logistics of the hospital bill!!!!!!!!!!! How did you do hospitals and stuff? Wow...to be out of state and that sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.k. I just re-read and yep...first time... wow... you deserve hugs and flowers delivered to you home even to this day! Did you let the restaurant know?

Amy
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

Sarah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh you poor thing! I've only had it once when ds was in the hospital for pneumonia. I got a pasta salad from the hospital cafeteria. I was so sick the day I brought ds home, I wasn't sure I was going to make it the 1/2 hour drive home. I was sick for many days after that too.
    I know I caught it there as I hadn't eaten anywhere else for 3 days. That was the only thing I ate differently from dh. I know it was food poisoning because of some tell tale symptoms that differ from the stomach virus. Funny thing is, I called the hospital cafeteria and they would not believe me...ughh. I often wonder how many other people got sick.
    s Food poisoning is just awful!
    Sarah

Suzi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had horrible food poisoning from bad sushi. I don't think I've ever been so sick. It was truly miserable. To make matters worse, I was recovering from my first ovarian surgery to remove a large cyst. I'd been home from the hospital for four weeks and was well enough to *finally* venture out of the house. A friend took me out to "celebrate" my recovery and impending return to work. Some celebration. I laid on the bathroom floor covered in towels and blankets because I could not get warm enough. I was too sick to leave the bathroom for over 24 hours. My Dr. wanted me to go to the ER, but I felt too sick to leave the house. I guess if it had gotten worse, I would've called an ambulance. Throwing up after abdominal surgery is probably about the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I thought for sure my incision was going to rupture. Ugh! That food poisoning delayed my return to work for over two weeks!

What a nightmare!

Suzi
    mom to Ruby and Gus - 7/8/01
    Suzi
    mom to Gus and Ruby - 7/8/01

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't decide who had it worse- Suzi or Fossette...?! You both deserve medals for those incidents! Mine was probably just a mild to medium case... not severe at all. DH had a severe breakout of hives two days in a row from his, but nothing else.. which is bad, but not AS bad as yours. My neighbor friend got it really bad though... very GI type of ill.

My update is that I called the restaurant yesterday and asked to speak with a manager. I told him what happened and he had a hard time believing it or even acting like he cared. I felt like he was afraid I was going to ask for something, like a free meal and therefore he was afraid to apologize, or admit any wrong doing. I told him I didn't want anything but just thought it was important that the restaurant know so it might help them avoid this, or in case they were still serving fish from the same order... All he could do was say... we've never had this happen before... it's made fresh every time... and a muffled, barely audible and not very convincing... "sorry".....

Very unsatisfying!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There was a slop-chute Chinese restaurant close to my graduate school. I got food poisoning twice after eating fried things there. I think they never, ever filtered their grease. Gark. I'm feeling ill just writing about it.

I have heard food poisoning from sushi is the absolute worst. My sympathies, Suzi!
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Yucky stories all! This was many moons ago...

I had a business trip to a northern NJ suburb. The vendor took us to lunch at a Portuguese restaurant. I tried some shellfish-soup concoction. Tasted okay... of course it was my first experience w/ Port. foods so what do I know? Fast forward 12 hours.

DH & I drive to Atlantic City with another couple - the girl is a coworker of mine. This is our first "couple date" if you know what I mean. We go to AC... gamble a little and catch a comedy show, walk the boardwak, eat cheesesteaks at midnight.. it was a nice evening.

At the parking garage, I'm sitting on a half-wall waiting for the car to come. My legs & feet start to tingle, so I jump down thinking that I pinched a nerve in my butt. (could happen! lol) I start walking to DH and suddenly feel very woozy. I reached for his hand and... don't remember much after that. Next thing I know I'm in the back of the car with everyone pawing at me... I'm DRENCHED head to toe in sweat. Somebody asks if we need to call 911. I don't know why but I said no. Friend's DH drives us home... 2-1/2 hours home.

Somewhere on the NJ TPK, I ask him to stop at a plaza where I spent the better portion of the next hour+ "doing that other bathroom activity" as Fossie put it. I feel wretched and the cold sweats keep coming & going.

Sometime the next day I realized that my symptoms seemed vaguely familiar. I caled my mother and asked her to describe her shelffish allergy symptoms to me. Ahhh. While I am thankfully NOT allergic to shellfish, it seems I had bad shellfish.

Similar thing happened to me in the Outer Banks a couple years ago, but not as dramatic. Now I just avoid all mussels & clams... I think they were the culprits each time.

Side bar: we never did go out with that couple again.

Janet
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +