FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Camping Dishes

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lucy-1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Camping Dishes

Does anyone have ideas for some camping recipes? DH and I (and the kids) went a week ago and had a great time. We are planning on going back in a few weeks but I would like to try some new recipes.

Thanks!
    Lucy
    former Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB for the last 7 years!
    Mom to 3 daughters (Sierra -12yo-mine, Athena -14yo-mine and Ashlen 18yo-step daughter)
    Surrogate mother to Misha 2/5/99, Reece and Nicole 3/29/01, and Anna 11/2/04
    Have done 10 IVF cycles with 4 couples, 3 RE's and 1 agency....
    A Surrogate Mother's Journey - Read all about my 1st Surrogate Journey

2. Advertisement

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    What kind of cooking dishes do you take with you? I'll come back to this later and respond again with some - just wondering if you're looking for grilling or cast iron or what?
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Lucy-1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am willing to bring whatever it takes. We usually have a campfire and we cook over that (grill, BBQ, foil as well as cast iron pot in the coils for desert cooking). We also have 3 coleman stoves to work with along with a custom made bucket that holds about 3 gallons of water that we put directly over the fire and would heat up water super fast. We cooked artichokes with it last time. Anyway, I am open to just about anything.

Thanks!
    Lucy
    Mom to 3 daughters (Sierra -12yo-mine, Athena -14yo-mine and Ashlen 18yo-step daughter)

susane
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    you may want to check this out

http://www3.fertilethoughts.com/foru...hlight=camping

I also like to do kebobs ( marinating the meat prior and freezing) then doing seperate sticks of veggies.
    Susan
    Jake 8 yrs old
    Tyler 6 yrs old

Lucy-1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Susan! I can't wait to read all about it!

On our last camping trip we had:
    Thursday evening - hot dogs, hamburgers and chips

Friday - Breakfast Burritos (with eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns & salsa), Lunch - sandwich fixings, dinner - chicken and keilbasa kabobs with veggies, potato salad and spinach salad, Rosemary Polenta and Guiness. Roasted marshmallows for dessert.

Saturday - breakfast: pancakes, sausage, bacon and fried fish that we caught the day before. Lunch: Sandwich stuff. Dinner: Mexican Fiesta! Carne Asada, tortillas, beans, spanish rice, quacamole, chips, salsa and Corona's! Dessert: Triple Berry Crumble (cooked in a dutch oven in the coils of a fire)

Sunday - Breakfast: French toast, potatoes O'brien and fish that we caught on Saturday. Lunch: Sandwich stuff. Dinner: Marinated Chicken on the BBQ, Marinated Steaks, Green Beans with Garlic, Artichokes, Garlic Bread and Wine. For dessert Chocolate Cherry Cobbler cooked the same as the Triple Berry)

Monday - Breakfast: Burritos made with any leftovers (carne asada, steak, chicken, hotdogs, hamburgers) beans, eggs, sausage and bacon.

This tends to be our "usual" menu. But I am bored with it! I want some new ideas and of course any tips you might have for camping.

Hugs,
    Lucy

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Our breakfasts are pretty much the same as yours so I'm not a whole lot of help there other than adding the thing where you use the crust of the bread and cook the egg inside it then use that to make a sandwich with it. Oh - we've also made cinnamon buns in a dutch oven before.

One thing I *created* last camping trip that we really liked was this. It's similar to something that a lot of people do in foil but on a larger scale.

In a dutch oven I browned a pound of hamburger with some onions and garlic. Once it was almost completely browned I added diced carrots, potatoes, bell pepper, garlic salt, salt and pepper, a can of cream of mushroom soup and some milk. Put the lid on and left it alone for about an hour and 15 min. Everything was done and tender but not mushy and it smelled fabulous.

I've done stuff like use leftover sausage from one day to make dirty rice or jambalaya the next day, too.

Fresh fish is great in fish tacos if you like those.

Meatball sandwiches with melted cheese - you can use cheese slices or put a jar of cheese-whiz in a pot of water and heat it that way. They make kid friendly subs. to serve with chips and smores.

I'm going to try a layered Mexican casserole in the dutch oven but haven't yet. It was either chicken or beef with enchilada sauce and chilis layered with black beans and flour tortillas - quite a bit of sauce as you need it to soak into the tortillas then you put grated cheese over it when serving.

I've also seen a recipe for dutch oven meatloaf but we're breaking in a new dutch oven so I've been holding off on cooking anything acidic in it yet.

Fossette
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those kabobs sound great Lucy...yummm. I may try that this week.

I made pork chops last night that needed very few ingredients and were delicious...not sure if it would translate well to camping but here it is:

1/4c maple syrup (I used pure, says you can use artificial if needed)
    1/4c apple butter
    1/2tsp ground mustard

Mix in 1qt pan and stir on low 1-2 minutes or until well blended

baste on your pork chops over grill-turn and baste 3-4 more times (i turned every 3 minutes for 4 turns).

Very subtle but nice flavor and oh so moist! I made roasted potatoes with onions, evoo, dill, white pepper and salt to go with.
    My miracles: M & A-2002 & C-2004!

Current Live Auctions Palm Pilot & Co Sleeper:
    Palm Pilot
    Co Sleeper

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Oh - summer time fresh corn on the cob, too. You can either boil it, or grill it or even peel back the husk and get the strings out, wrap bacon around the corn, put the husk back on then grill it more.