FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
What did I do wrong?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

What did I do wrong?

I have always been able to make good Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate chip cookies. I made some this weekend but for some reason, they came out "cake" like. What did I do wrong? I do use a Kitchenaid Mixer for mixing but I'm careful not to overmix. Any ideas? TIA!
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03

2. Advertisement

technoidiot
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts which may or may not be "why": Did you by anychance use "self rising" flour instead of All purpose flour? That can make a difference. Other possibilities: you possibly added extra egg & or flour or too much soda or not enough shortening component. Eggs make stuff stick together but also add moisture and make things raise. I have a brownie recipe that calls for 4 eggs if you want cake like brownies, 2 eggs makes em' more gooey. Too much flour makes for a dryer cookie, soda makes stuff raise. Did you maybe start out doubling the recipe and not follow thru? I've done that before and had to go back and try and remember what to add. (or forgot and figured out what the deal was). Also, did you use shortening or butter or margrin or oil? I almost always use butter when baking EXCEPT for cookies, I think margarin makes for a softer cookie. Also, if you used a butterspread type of stuff, some of that has just too much water in it and just doesn't work out well in baking. Also, were any of the ingredients you used possibly outdated? Some things like baking powder can lose their power over time.
    Did you by any chance use a different recipe than usual? There are some recipes for cookies that come out cake like. The Amish in our area make a lot of their cookies cakelike, they are good, but my personal preference on a choc chip cookie is soft & chewy.
    We recently made a new choc chip cookie recipe and it was way too dry and cake like. I added an egg and a 1/2 stick margrin and they were perfectly moist & chewy.

Here is a good recipe for choc chip cookies
    3/4 C peanut butter 1/2 cup butter 1 1/4 Cup light brown sugar 3 Tablespoon milk 1 Tablespoon vanilla 1 egg 1 3/4 Cup all purpose flour 3/4 teaspoon salt 3/4 teaspoon baking soda chocolate chips (optional) Mix peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla till light and creamy. Add egg. Combine flour, salt and bakind soda, gradually stir into other mixture. Stir in chocolate chips if desired. Drop by spoonfuls, or form into balls. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes. these come out better if you take the time to make them into balls.

I also have a choc chip recipe that calls for oatmeal but don't have it here. I'll try to post it sometime, it is awesome!

If you've always made your recipe and it usually comes out ok, then who knows, maybe it was just a fluke, sometimes the weather can mess stuff up too.
    waiting to be parents someday somehow

Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, techno! I did usually everything as usual and always use butter. Maybe it was the weather as it was very damp here
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03