FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
in need of some busy day recipes

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    saphire
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

in need of some busy day recipes

My dh has been on layoff for quite a while now. But now there is a chance he is going to start working again on Monday and it will be long days. He will leave early morning and not get back until after supper. The kids are used to having him home so I am expected them to be somewhat upset this week. What I am wandering is what are some good recipes that don't take too long to cook. My kids are ages 4,2and 1. Lately it has been hard to get into the kitchen to do much cooking because the 2 and 1 year old are into everything.
    Any suggestions on meals?

2. Advertisement

Normita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saphire, what about things like the ziti recipe or the taco lasagna? I would suggest things that you could make ahead, after the kids go to sleep or before they wake up and stash in the fridge. Then you can just pop them in the oven to cook when you are ready.
    Norma

Mom to ME, born 6/4/00, International Adoption

2 angels in heaven 9/3/98 and 2/15/00

Twinkle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Maybe some crockpot recipes? You can just dump everything in and forget about it til dinner.

A couple of my favorites are chicken pieces or pork chops cooked w/ a jar of salsa (optional- add a can of black beans and can of corn). Serve over rice or shred the meat and wrap it in tortillas.

Chicken, pork chops or pork roast cooked with a can of campbells golden mushroom soup (don't dilute the soup), serve with rice or mashed potatoes-- the soup makes a nice gravy.

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just heard somewhere that the longer-type recipes work better for moms with kids...because they require several steps and in between steps you can take care of the kids or stuff that pops up. I usually start cooking at around 3:40 or 4...not that the dinner takes that long...I just give myself plenty of breaks to change diapers, nurse the baby, read a book, etc.

Also, on the weekends (if dh doesn't work then), do some of your prep for the week...chopping onions, browning meat, etc.

If you make spaghetti, brown your meat and veggies in a double batch and put half into the freezer for a quick dinner another time. Or do the same for a quick lasagna in the week.

Shake n bake pork chops are always easy....and frozen vegetables taste really good and steam up quick in the microwave (I use the package directions). Same with chicken.

Meatloaf is easy when you use the recipe on the back of the Lipton Beefy Mushroom soup mix box.

Baking potatoes are easy and here's a recipe that comes out restaurant perfect every time for me... wash and pierce potatoes, rub oil on skin, sprinkle with a coarse salt, bake on oven rack (DO NOT WRAP) for 1 hour at 350 degrees. They come out fluffly inside with nice crisp skins. Bake extra and you can then make twice baked potatoes the next day by scooping out the skins and adding garlic salt, cheese, and sour cream and refilling the shells... bake again at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Amy
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor