FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Preferences on Food Processors? (babies mtd.)

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Preferences on Food Processors? (babies mtd.)

Hi all!

I know, it sounds crazy, but I've lived "this long" without a food processor! (Okay it doesn't count the 1970'ish model that I inherited from MIL when I was still in college. It was scary and I only used it once.)

After all these years, I think I'm in the market for one now. I'm going to try to prepare veggies & fruits for the babies. DH & I eat so much fresh fruit & veggies that it only makes sense that I cook for the girls. Economical and environmentally sound too! One of my SILs was giving me some suggestions and recommended books. She suggests that I get a food processor over using my blender or mini chopper. She has used both when visiting friends/relatives, but says I'd be happier with a full-size FP.

Do you own one and use it often? Is there a brand you recommend? How about features? Should I go stripped-down or full-featured? Pros & Cons? All insight is welcome! Thanks in advance.

Janet
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +

2. Advertisement

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I use my blender to mush food up for Karl. I do have a food processor (and a mini one too if I didn't get rid of it) but the blender is just easier for me to get out.
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a cuisinart and love it. I love it so much that I bought one for my mom and sister for Christmas. Now they swear they don't know how they lived without it. It's totally basic, nothing fancy, but wrorks great, is super fast and is easy to clean.

Melinda

ClaireNola
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a basic model that I used last when I made fresh baby food for my first dd. None of that for #2

It was really easy, and didn't need any special features to the recipes I used (except for I did something funny to green peas, but it was with a mesh strainer, not the food proc.). I would get something inexpensive.

Good luck!

Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janet! I have a Cuisinart and use it a couple times a week! I LOVE it! I recommend Cuisinart if you're going to buy one.
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! I made carrots today - their first veggie. I wasn't thrilled with my blender. It kept missing the carrots. I kept gradually adding more water, but didn't want to add too much. Will this happen with a FP too?

I ended up with a couple small lumps that I could pick out. Jen's expression was priceless. She didn't seem too thrilled, but accepted more when I mixed a bunch of rice cereal into it. I feel like such a dunce when it comes to feeding them.

Janet
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +