FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Are there any shrimp experts hanging around here?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy

Question Are there any shrimp experts hanging around here?

My wonderful FIL brought us some shrimp from New Orleans this past weekend. Well, Mr Wonderful froze the whole 2 lbs or so in one freezer bag . So now I need to cook them all up at once or maybe two days in a row? Not even sure about that one . Anyway, these shrimp are not shelled or anything so I need to find out how to clean them up. I want to make Fettucine alfredo tonite with shrimp. I have eaten peel and eat shrimp before, but those were cooked. I have no clue what to do with these suckers ? I'm going to saute them with garlic and butter before I add them to my entree. Can someone help me? Pretty please ! TIA

2. Advertisement

marty419
    has no status.
    Li'l lost Texan living in Brandon, Mississippi
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Yum Kylie, fresh gulf shrimp. What a treat! Cleaning shrimp can be a bit messy but is easy to do. You need to thaw them completely. I usually put the frozen shrimp in the sink with cool water and let them thaw. Once they are thawed you need to remove the heads(if they still have their little heads) and remove their peel (just like you would do to the peel and eat boiled shrimp). Then run a sharp knife gently down their spines and slit them open just enough to remove the black vein. Rinse them clean after that and allow them to drip dry a bit. After that they are ready to go into the pan with your butter and garlic to be sauted.

Enjoy! Let us know how it turns out!!!
    Marty
    Mommy to two Guatemalan angels
    Tyler Ross b.Aug.2, 2002 h.Dec.17, 2002
    Taylor Riana b.Apr.6, 2004 h.Nov.11, 2004

I believe that there is no such thing as an unwanted child, just unfound families.

Danielle
    is having a clomid nightmare!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would thaw them out and peel and devein them. Then you just sautee them until they are pink. I like them cooked a little longer than most, and the rubberishness (what a word) of that doesn't bother me.

I also found a great recipe for grilling online.

I put them on bamboo skewers and then soak them in an olive oil, fresh garlic, parsley flakes, lemon juice, pepper, and maybe something to give them some zing. Grill until they are no longer pink and serve over hot buttered noodles or rice pilaf.

Very yummy!
    "Mommy to Bailey (b/d 9/3/01) "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal"
    "Mommy to Jessica (b. 10/05/02)" "Before you were conceived I wanted you, Before you were born I loved you, Before you were here an hour I would die for you This is the miracle of life."

mom to Josh, Matt, & Brian and MiMi to Braden & Landen

Kylie
    cool
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    So I have to chop their little heads off ? ewwwww. the things we do for good eats ! Thanks to Sista I took the half thawed shrimp and was able to break them apart and seperate them into two servings so I don't have to fix them all at once . Now I just need to get the gumption to behead the little buggers . Thanks for your help!!

ClaireNola
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You acutally should just pull the heads off-- easier and you won't waste and won't leave any of the neck behind

sounds good!

2 pounds would be what I would cook at once anyway! 1 pound isn't enough, 2 just a little too much with some leftovers.

Kylie
    cool
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I got lucky and the heads are already missing ! I don't know how many lbs there are, I was just guessing. Enough to fill up a gallon freezer bag? I pulled out about 15-20 to use for dinner tonite and there are probably 25-30 left in the bag . I'm not looking forward to cleaning them. I've never really done it before.