FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Need some help

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Michellei
    My schedule is overwhelming...yet here I am on FT!
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help

We have some friends that are military. One of them has just left for Iraq and he's left behind a wife and 3 kids. Ages...4, 3, and 5mo.

She is going to be moving back home (24hrs away) with her family until he gets back in a year. But, they cannot come get her until April 10th. So, we've offered her our home for 2weeks until her family arrives. This is so she won't have to stay in a little hotel room w/ 3 kids.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to fix for meals, (lunches, brkfst, dinners, snacks). We are on a tight grocery budget so it's going to have to be cheap. I really don't want to have to ask her to help with the grocery bill. After all, we invited her. But, I know her kids eat a lot.

So, what are some ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

Michellei
    Michellei
    Caffeine junkie married to a PB junkie...15+ years
    DD #1 8yrs. DD #2 6yrs
    DD #3 2yrs

2. Advertisement

JeanieMd
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh gosh, I guess to save money you could buy powdered milk and stretch out your milk that way. (That stands out to me as what's going to go quickest with a 3 and 4 year old). I would water down all juices too.

For breakfast, I'd probably alternate between scrambled eggs, bacon, and homemade pancakes or waffles (they're much cheaper than frozen ones), yogurt, toast and oatmeal. Cereal can get expensive, so if they're big eaters of that, maybe you could limit it to weekends???

For lunches, I'd do some left over dinner meat, fruits and vegetables.

For snacks, I'd offer cut up vegetables, fruits and cheeses. Pretzels, goldfish and other crackers are relatively cheap.

You could bake some cookies and that might get you through a weekend.

For dinners, I'd roast either one large or two small chickens, a roast, meatload, hamburger, hotdog, pizza. Anything that could easily be used the next day for lunch.

Good luck, have a lot of fun. That is very generous and kind of you to extend that invitation.

Jeanie