FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Good pot roast recipe.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Normita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good pot roast recipe.

This one may become my standard. I got it from the Home Made Simple website. Very easy.

Premium Pot Roast with Veggies

1 (3-4 lb) piece beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
    1 cup water
    1 lb small red potatoes, quartered
    2 red onions, quartered
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    8 carrots, sliced
    2 celery stalks, sliced
    1 cup button mushrooms, stems removed
    2 sprigs fresh rosemary
    4 springs fresh thyme
    2 bay leaves

1. On a plate, season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of kosher salt and black pepper.
    2. In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot that has a tight-fitting lid, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderately hight heat. Add the beef chuck roast.
    3. Brown the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside. Pour in the tomatoes and the water.
    4. Scatter the potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves around the pot roast. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
    5. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Braise for about 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes with the pan juices, until the beef is fork tender. Discard bay leaves.
    6. Slice the pot roast and arrange on a platter surrounded by the vegetables.
    Serve with the pot juices.

I did a couple of things differently---I used less oil, about 2 teaspoons for browning and 2 for drizzling. DH doesn't like mushrooms so I omitted them and I just felt like I had enough vegetables in the pot so I did not put in celery which I don't like that much. I had about 1/2 cup of merlot that I used in place of 1/2 cup of water but I don't feel that it "made" the dish. It would have been very good without it.
    Norma

Mom to ME, born 6/4/00, International Adoption

2 angels in heaven 9/3/98 and 2/15/00

2. Advertisement

Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Norma -- thanks for sharing this! I've been looking for a pot roast recipe that doesn't require a crock pot! I'll definitely give this a try!
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03

doihavtasay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Yum, that does sound good. It's similar to the recipe I use for pot roast. I bet the mushrooms would be good in it, I'll have to try that next time.
    Dina
    10 7 4 3

Our family is complete.