FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
COD recipes???

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lauriann in SD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

COD recipes???

Hi! I bought some Cod filets and I want to make them, but not deep frying them. Does anyone have a recipe with a light coating that I could use to pan fry them or bake them? DH doesn't like the baked fish with lemon juice and pepper/parsley that well so I am trying to find something different. Any ideas?
    Lauriann Married 12 yrs (10-93) to DH *R*
    mom to beautiful K 10-01
    website
    click here to enjoy some fun!
    "Live each day as if it is your last."

2. Advertisement

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How about just dipping them in a milk bath and then Italian bread crumbs. Pan fry in just a little bit of oil. ?
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

doihavtasay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    I don't know, Lynn's idea sounds good. Other than the lemon thing and baking it, I wouldn't have a clue.

Oh wait, what about a fish casserole type thing. I think someone here posted a recipe back around Christmas or New Year's, didn't they?

This is what I found, and it was Jools that posted it.

This recipe is from Delia Smith. I am sure Cathy must have had this before as she is kind of an icon chef in Britain.

Fisherman's pie

Serves 4-6 people

Whatever white fish is available can be used for this -cod, haddock or whiting. (note: we always use cod)

1 1/2 lb white fish (700g)
    1 pint milk (570 ml)
    4 oz butter (110 g)
    2 oz plain flour (50 g)
    4 oz peeled prawns (110 g)
    2 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
    1 level tbsp capers, drained
    3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    salt and freshly milled pepper

For the topping
    2 lb freshly cooked potatoes (900g)
    2 oz butter (50 g)
    4 tbsp milk
    a little freshly grated nutmeg
    1 oz strong cheddar cheese (25 g), grated

Pre-heat the oven to 400f (200c)

Start by arranging the fish in a baking tin and seasoning it well with salt and pepper. Then pour over half of the milk, dot with 1 oz (25g) of the butter in flecks, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Then pour off (and reserve) the cooking liquid, and remove the skin from the fish, flaking the flesh into fairly large pieces.

Now make the sauce: melt the remaining 3 oz (75 g) butter in a saucepan, then stir in the flour and gradually add the fish cooking liquid - stirring will after each addition. When all the liquid is in, finish off the sauce by slowly adding the remaining milk and seasoning with salt and pepper.

Next mix the fish into the sauce, along with the prawns, hard-boiled eggs, capers and parsley (taste at this stage to see if it needs any more salt and pepper) and stir in the limon juice. Now pour the whole mixture into a well buttered 2 1/2 pint (1.5 litre) baking dish.

Next cream the cooked potatoes with the butter and milk, add some freshly grated nutmeg, then spread the mixture evenly all over the fish. Smooth the surface of the potato, then (using the rounded blade of a knife) pattern it by making impressions 1/2 inch (1 cm) deep in rows. Finally sprinkle the cheese all over and bake on a high shelf (same temperature) for about 30-40 minutes, or until heated through and browned.

Note: to make it special, we add more seafood -scallops, crab etc into the sauce with the fish at the same time you add the prawns, eggs, and capers.

Note: don't omit the hard boiled eggs and capers. They give it that extra something
    Dina
    10 7 4 3

Our family is complete.