FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
I LOVE Flan!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I LOVE Flan!

Mmmm! I have always loved it and always order it when it's on restaurant menus. I just had some which is why I'm so excited about it right now. I got kozy shack brand in a little cup. Mmmmm! Now I want to make it. Anyone else love this stuff? I think I could eat a whole pan of it by myself.
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

2. Advertisement

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question... how does flan differ from creme brulee? I understand that the 'brulee' part is burnt sugar and that most flan doesn't do this, but sometimes has a warmed caramel topping... I'm still curious. Is the custard itself the same or different? Please explain. I think I'd like it!

J
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I love creme brulee too. I don't know as I have never compared a recipe. In my own mind, creme brulee is warm and the top has the torched sugar. Flan is warm or cool and has a thin brown syrup over it- which I LOVE. I also feel like flan is slightly eggier and creme brulee slightly creamier.
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7

4blessings
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think I have only had flan once. WE just had creme brulee over the weekend and it was TDF!! I could eat that stuff daily!
    Anne
    Mommy to:
    Stefanie, Nina, Isabella, And Natalie

Kiki27
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love love love flan! We were in Mexico this time last year and the housekeeper made flan for us 4 times in one week... and a couple more times after that! My MIL, DD, & I ate every bit of it too! It was wonderful. We bought fresh fruit and made a huge fruit salad and put the fresh fruit on top of the flan. It was so yummy!

When we got back from Mexico I wanted to make flan but couldn't find a pan in any of the stores around town. I ended up ordering one online.

Some flan is made just like custard but Rosa, our mexican housekeeper, made her flan with cream cheese. I had to call my MIL to have her read me her copy of the recipe. We don't bake ours in the oven though. We use a double boiler and do it on the stove-top... that's how Rosa does it! I also add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of sugar to the cream cheese/egg mixture because I like mine a little sweeter.

1 cup sugar
    8 oz. cream cheese
    1 cup evaporated milk
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    5 eggs
    1/4 cup reg. milk
    1 can condensed milk

Place the 1 cup sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and caramelize over medium heat At first, swirl the pan over the heat, but do not stir (this will cause it to clump). After about 8 minutes, when the sugar has begun to liquefy, stir with a heavy spoon. When the caramel turns light brown, quickly (and carefully burns are painful) pour into a 2-quart, high-sided metal flan mold. Tip pan so caramel coats the bottom and up sides of mold. Work fast; caramel hardens quickly.

In a blender, add cream cheese in pieces, reg. milk, salt, and vanilla (an extra sugar if you want). Beat in blender for 30 seconds. Add condensed and evaporated milks and eggs and blend for another 30 seconds.

Pour mixture from blender over carmelized sugar in flan pan. Double boil in 1 1/2 cups (give or take) of water for 1 hour. Test the center of the flan... knife comes out clean, it's done. If it's not done boil it another 15-20 minutes or so or until it is done.

You have to have a flan pan that has a lid that seals. If you don't have that kind of pan (like the one in the link) you can put your pan in a cake pan and fill the cake pan with enough water to come 1/2 way up the sides of the flan pan and bake it at 350 for 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil and then another 45 minutes without the foil or until the knife in the center comes out clean!

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. I did not know a special pan was needed. I LOVE the thin brown syrup that collects under the flan. I need some flan!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7

Lauriann in SD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flan is good!! Rich--the way I like men! lol (don't tell dh that!)...anyway, when we go to mexico we have flan. I don't eat it alot cuz when I am in Mexico I like to eat alot of other things we don't have here!
    Lauriann Married 12 yrs (10-93) to DH *R*
    mom to beautiful K 10-01
    website
    click here to enjoy some fun!
    "Live each day as if it is your last."