FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
MHO on Let's Dish

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    JeanieMd
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MHO on Let's Dish

Have you guys heard of this? It's a brand new franchise...you preorder 8-12 meals (6 servings each), show up one night and make your next 8 dinners there.

They just opened one here in Baltimore and some girlfriends of mine wanted to try it. So, not wanting to be a downer, I agreed and I have to say it just wasn't *it* for me.

The good things about it are that I made dishes I never would have made before...for example...country french chicken tarragon...sun dried tomato butter spread over steaks...cajun catfish

The bad things are that nothing is fresh. Well it may be fresh when you're preparing it but you take it home and freeze it and then just pull out a meal when you need one. I am finding that in my young family (one boy who is almost 3), I really like making dinner preparation a family affair. I really like trying to use fresh ingredients. And I have become really picky with the meat that I buy.

Any way, just thought I'd share my new food thing with y'all.

If you want the technical details, you can pull it up on the web...their site is letsdish.com.

Jeanie

2. Advertisement

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have never heard of it but will check it out. It sounds interesting. I don't think I would want to give up any of my tiny bit of free time to do it though. I would do it once, as a fun thing with a girlfriend but probably not on a regular basis. I do see the appeal on the frozen dinners. Actually, I get home at 6pm and need to get dinner ASAP on the table so usually frozen meals even take too long to cook.

I just tried www.letsdish.com and it did not work for me
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting! I just found it at http://www.letsdish.net

There are 3 "store" locations in Minnesota, one in Maryland and one in Washington. I'll be interested to see if it catches on elsewhere.

Jeannie, I also prefer to make my meals fresh, but I can see how this would be fun for a party or once in a while. Thanks for telling us about it!

Janet
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It sounds as if it would be fun as an outing with friends. . . The food would almost be secondary. The one exception might be if you had a friend who has having a baby soon. Having several frozen meals might be a wonderful thing!
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is a good idea for a new baby OR for someone who is ill. If I were home earlier, I may even do it but it would take too long to cook a frozen meal as I said earlier. I guess the microwave would be an option, but that would not taste as good.
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

Amyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have something here like that called Dream Dinners. One of DH's bike teammates broke her arm and we all contributed and someone is going and making all the dinners and dropping them off to her. I thought about trying it for my Grandma and step-Grandpa, he did all the cooking but since having a stroke he hasn't cooked as much. They have been doing lots of take-out and we've been bringing over meals as well. I agree it would be great for someone with a newborn.

Take care,

Amy
    Amy
    Mommy to Sam (August 2002) and Lucy (December 2005)

JeanieMd
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry about the confusion with the link...thanks for correcting it GalaxyGirl.

For anyone interested in trying it, it really is not a fun outing with girlfriends. You're much too busy following directions and measuring ingredients, preparing and packaging the meals to visit with others, and when you're finished, you're pretty pooped. (I don't know many mothers who have energy to spare at 8 o'clock at night).

A new mom or someone who is ill or injured would be ideal candidates for this kind of stuff. I didn't even think about that but you're right. I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference.

Jeanie