FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Friday food five......

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lauriann in SD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Friday food five......

Hope you don't mind me doing this week, I couldn't sleep last night and kept thinking about the fff! I don't think any of these have been asked before....

1. Is there a recipe you used to make alot but now can't find?

2. Do you make any health food bars or cookies?

3. What was your favorite thing/meal your mom cooked when you were growing up?

4. What food did you try that you didn't think you'd like and you actually did? How about your dh/so/children?

5. Do you make sugar cookies--rollout ones or drop by a spoon ones? Do you frost them and with what?
    Lauriann Married 12 yrs (10-93) to DH *R*
    mom to beautiful K 10-01
    website
    click here to enjoy some fun!
    "Live each day as if it is your last."

2. Advertisement

Lauriann in SD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have several. One is for rhubarb cream pie and it was one that I would cook over the stove. I also lost the truffle one I had that was really easy.

No, not yet. I just found one at our Hyvee store that sounds good.

Oh my mom was awesome cooking! Oh, she would make
    cabbage rolls, pork riblets with sour kraut (we fried them first then cooked w/water and added sour kraut after, then had potatoes served with it); hamburger noodle dish (tomato soup, kidney beans, hamb, egg noodles) and also egg noodles with scrambled eggs cooked over them/with them. I know I asked fav thing/meal, but now I really miss my mom's cooking and can't stop thinking of all the yummy stuff!

4. What food did you try that you didn't think you'd like and you actually did? How about your dh/so/children?
    I tried artichokes, and really like them! My dh isn't too picky and I have had him try alot of stuff--he likes everything except sweet pickles! Katrina likes beets and I didn't think she would like them but loves em!

5. Do you make sugar cookies--rollout ones or drop by a spoon ones? Do you frost them and with what?
    I wish I would make roll outs but havent in a few years. I like them with frosting best, even if its just opening a can of cream cheese already made frosting (or any other flavor) and spreading on there when hot so it melts a little). Not as excited about drop sugar cookies or the ones you roll in balls and smush down.

Have a great weekend!!!!
    Lauriann Married 12 yrs (10-93) to DH *R*
    mom to beautiful K 10-01
    website
    click here to enjoy some fun!
    "Live each day as if it is your last."

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not that I can think of.

Nope.

Probably her homemade spaghetti sauce or pot roast. Oh wait... fried eggplant. yum.

Asparagus for both DH & I.

Nope.
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +

4blessings
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1. Is there a recipe you used to make alot but now can't find? Not that I ever made but my aunt used to make a Grasshopper Pie-I think oreo crust, creme de minthe.... My uncle and her are now divorced so I don't know the recipe. I think about it a lot.

2. Do you make any health food bars or cookies? No, but I buy them at a Great Harvest bread store --I would love a recipe.

Probably spagghetti-mom wasn't the best cook.

Deffinately sushi! I never wanted to try and once I did I am soo hooked. Love the stuff! My little girls love fish and seafood.

5. Do you make sugar cookies--rollout ones or drop by a spoon ones? Do you frost them and with what? Don't make them much-too much work. I love to eat them thought-with frosting.
    Last edited by 3blessings; 02-04-2005 at 04:05 PM.
    Anne
    Mommy to:
    Stefanie, Nina, Isabella, And Natalie

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not that I can think of. I usually just wing it with my recipes.

No, but funny you ask because just this week I told Ella that we were going to make granola bars. She loves them and I thought it might be fun to try this weekend.

I loved the total garbage meals and found the more healthful ones a bit boring/bland. (ie: hamburgers & french fries yes, roast and potatoes/carrots- no.)

smoked oysters- had to be paid to try one as a child and now I am all over them anytime someone opens a can.

Most often, I buy the pilsbury and roll them out very thin. I cut with shapes and then glaze them with milk & powdered sugar after they're baked. I sometimes dye the glaze and I also sometimes add colored sugar on top of that.

Thanks for the Qs! I forgot it was Friday!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

kutiepitutti
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tator tot casserole

NO

Oh dear, hot dogs(PIGS IN A BLANKET W/CHEESE AND WRAPPED IN CRESCENT ROLLS) and french fries were my faves!!

artichokes

rollout, and yes frost with a homemade frosting recipe
    Last edited by kutiepitutti; 02-04-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    Christine

Proud mom of Ty Keith (3/2/91)
    and Taryn Sara-Christine (12/12/01)
    and 2 angels in heaven

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No. If there were it would really bug me!

Yes, I do try healthy recipes from time to time. Not all of them are successful. I make hermits (they have molasses, raisins and nuts, so don't seem as bad as regular cookies), I make Big Sur coconut cookies with whole-wheat pastry flour and raisins, and I made a gingerbread for Christmas that had neither eggs not butter (instead it had tofu).

I also like to make fruity desserts because I have an idea blueberry crisp is better than a piece of cake.

My mom made good mashed potatoes but basically wasn't a terrific cook. I think she is just one of those people who doesn't care all that much about food. My father was a good cook. I loved his pinto beans and ham hocks (still my favorite food).

Well, I expect to like everything. . . but I tried sushi for the first time without knowing the fish was raw and loved it. I'm glad that happened now--otherwise I might have had a real mental block about eating raw fish.

You know, I don't really make sugar cookies. Mine never look as good as the ones in the magazines. I may try Martha's recipe soon (that is, if I don't make hermits again).
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the healthy cookie front, there's this English treat called "flapjacks" some of you might be interested in. It's basically just rolled oats with butter and sugar (and some kind of sugar syrup), all mixed together and then baked and cut into "fingers," as they say here. They sound simple but they are DYNAMITE.

I'll have to post a recipe (I know, I know, some of you are still waiting patiently for the kraut recipe).
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

saphire
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

not that I can think of .

no

when I lived with my parents I loved it when she made chili or pizza burgers but now that I no longer live with them I have had both of these things and don't like either, even though she hasn't changed her recipes. My taste buds just changed.

. What food did you try that you didn't think you'd like and you actually did? How about your dh/so/children?
    meatloaf. I knew I liked it but I didn't think dh and kids would, but when I made it they were asking for seconds.

I tried to make the roll out ones at Christmas time(my first experience with it) but I didn't like the recipe I used so I didn't end up frosting them. Maybe later in the year I will try it again.

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Not one I can think of.

I try to make most things as healthy as possible, but when it comes down to certain things (chocolote chip cookies etc), I just make them as they are. If I'm going to have a cookie, I'm going to have a cookie! I tried skimping on fat, but found myself not really being satisfied with the healthier versions so I gave it up.

I always loved when we had Mexican. If we had tacos I would always omit the shell and have a heap of toppings, kind of like a taco salad. I still do the same thing.

Oysters, spinach. I thought I'd hate both and I love them.

I make roll out sugar cookies. I never really liked them before, but now they are one of my favorites. I like them with a thin layer of frosting. I usually just do a confectioners sugar mixture. Yumm, you got me in the mood, I'll have to make them soon.

Melinda