FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
I made the kalua pork... comments & questions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I made the kalua pork... comments & questions

Last year, Kalua Pork was a Recipe Challenge. At the time, I didn't participate, so I don't recall what the responses were. I am participating in a wedding in April and volunteered to make this recipe for the shower.

I found three versions of on recipezaar and chose the one that looked the most flavorful. This one called for salt, liquid smoke and soy, but also garlic and ginger. It called for a pork butt, but the store didn't have any, so the butcher recommended a boneless shoulder.

While the marinade smelled awesome, and the house smelled incredible, I was pretty disappointed with the meal itself. Being fattier meat, the pork had a strong flavor, but not necessarily strong with the marinade flavorings. Basically it tasted like pork! So I ask, why marinade? What makes it so special if it's just going to taste like pig?? What's so hawaiian about it?? I know I skipped the ti leaves, and crocked it instead of slow roasting, but really, would it make that much of a difference?

For those of you that made it, what was your opinion? Did you make it again? Have you embellished the recipe? I'm going to make it again, but with the pork butt... and I'm thinking of trying to add to the flavors, but not sure what to add. Ideas & comments welcome!!
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +

2. Advertisement

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Janet,
    I was thinking about this over lunch today and was going to post a question asking you how you liked it. I also could not find a butt and think I used shoulder- can't recall but that sounds right. I also used my crockpot. Also, I did not use a ginger/soy recipe just salt and liquid smoke. I cooked on low for about 20 hours. The meat was very tender and juicey and had a nice smokey flavor to it. I did use a bit more salt and liquid smoke than it called for. Still, I did not just eat the meat that way, other than a few samples. I ended up shredding and chopping the entire thing up and making other things with it. I made a ton of bbq and we ate it both on buns and just on the plate. I LOVE bbq esp the Carolina type and this worked great for that. Since we can't really dig a hole and cook a pig in our NY yard, I would definitely do my bbq again this way. I was thinking about doing it for work for our next pot luck. Sorry your recipe did not turn out well. I can't really comment on that since I served it such a different way.
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying Lynn. I remembered you said you made yours into a BBQ. So then there really isn't a signifcant reason for the salt & liquid smoke, other than making it a bit smoky tasting? The recipe I used came from a cookbook called "Kona On My Plate", or so the recipezaar author says.

I'm going to use my leftovers for either bbq or enchiladas and I know it will be yummy. I love roasted pork and it is tastey & tender... I guess I just expected it to be *more - something*. Ya know?

When I make it again, I'm going to increase the smoke. I also might use my pressure cooker instead of the crock. The PC tenderizes meat wonderfully, but it requires adding liquid. I guess I could do water or beer...

More comments welcome if anybody has them.
    J
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +

Fossette
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is probably completely out there, but Emeril did a pork bbq last week that looked delicious.
    My miracles: M & A-2002 & C-2004!

Current Live Auctions Palm Pilot & Co Sleeper:
    Palm Pilot
    Co Sleeper

Kylie
    cool
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    When I was a nanny out in California my boss used to make this recipe. I remember the liquid smoke, sea salt, and ginger. She would mix up the marinade and pour it over the roast. The roast was sealed up in about 5 layers of foil, and roasted for 3-4 hours, I think. I remember it being quite salty tasting (they served it with rice). Brings back memories . Those people didn't eat much. I was always hungry after dinner. And I'd always volunteer to make up a salad to go with whatever the boss was making. Being from the midwest I'm a big eater! I could only figure they ate big lunches or something .