FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Dina, I'd love the chicken and dumplings recipe

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Dina, I'd love the chicken and dumplings recipe

Dh loves it, but I've never made it. I've got chicken thawing for tomorrow night.

Thanks,
    Melinda

2. Advertisement

doihavtasay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    It's kind of a cheater recipe, but it's the way my grandmother, and my mom both make it.

Boil the chicken, and I always add some chicken bouillon to the water. Save the broth after cooking. Debone the chicken when it's cool enough and add it back to the broth. I always guesstimate, but I'd say to add about a cup of milk, and about 1/2 stick of butter. Be careful with salt b/c you've already got the bouillon, but salt to taste. Bring this to a boil and then add your dumplings. I've always used canned biscuits for the dumplings. That's the cheat part. Get the regular Pillsbury with 10 biscuits in it, and tear each biscuit into 3 or 4 pieces and drop in the broth. One can should be enough for you and DH, but you can always add more. They will swell up so don't be alarmed. Turn the heat down to a gentle boil and let it go for about 15mins or so and it's done. The soup will thicken with the biscuits in. Be careful not to let the chicken on the bottom of the pan burn while you're boiling the dumplings.

I make mine in a dutch oven, and I usually aim for about 3/4's full of liquid with the chicken in there before I add the dumplings.

That's it, and it's so good. I've made homemade dumplings before, but we actually prefer it with the biscuits. We'll be having this tomorrow night. I don't make it very often b/c dh only likes stuff like that when it's cold outside.

I hope you and dh like it!
    Dina
    10 7 4 3

Our family is complete.

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    I have boneless, skinless breasts thawed. Will that work?

doihavtasay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Sure, boneless, skinless will work fine. I usually use whatever chicken I have on hand. A whole hen makes the broth richer, but also fattier. You won't miss it, it'll still be yummy.
    Dina
    10 7 4 3

Our family is complete.

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dh had to work late and I didn't want to make them when he wouldn't be home, so I'm planning on making it next week. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Melinda