FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
1/28 -- Friday Food Five

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

1/28 -- Friday Food Five

1. Valentine's Day is coming up -- will you make anything special to mark the day?

2. Do you make or buy birthday cakes for your family?

3. Do you make homemade ice cream?

4. What do you typically spend weekly on grocery shopping?

5. Do you buy pre shredded cheese at the grocery store or blocks of cheese to shred your own?
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03

2. Advertisement

Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Valentine's Day is coming up -- will you make anything special to mark the day?
    I'll probably make some Valentine sugar cookies. Maybe some brownies too. DH and I will probably make a nice dinner (maybe fondue or seafood of somekind and chocolate dipped strawberries after the girls go to bed)

Sometimes I make them for DH and sometimes they are bought depending on my mood and type of celebration. For the girls I've used a local bakery that we love both times.

I haven't made homemade ice cream in years. We used to have an ice cream maker but the leftovers always seemed to overfreeze and became icey.

Anywhere from $100-$175 depending on what I'm out of and what I'm cooking for the week. I plan my meals out for the week and shop accordingly. Through the week, we only eat dinner at home or I'm sure it would be a lot more. I also tend to buy fresh and organic when possible so that adds to the cost.

5. Do you buy pre shredded cheese at the grocery store or blocks of cheese to shred your own?
    I buy pre shredded for convenience but I prefer to shred my own -- the taste of fresly shredded cheese in recipes is so much better.
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a heart shaped muffin pan that I plan to use, but that's probably it. We don't do much for Valentines Day.

We don't usuallly do cakes, although I tried last year and completely botched one for Dh. Maybe I'll try again this year.

I love it, but have never made it.

Way too much. You know I'm not even sure, but I know that when I sit down to balance my checkbook, I'm stunned by how much I see the grocery store. I don't want to know, I enjoy it too much to cut back anyway.

Both. I have shredded on hnad for quick things like salads, but I buy blocks of swiss and pepper jack etc.. for cooking. It depends on if I'm in a hurry, but we always have both in the house.

Melinda
    Last edited by Melin; 01-28-2005 at 11:50 PM.

doihavtasay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Steak and lobster usually go on sale around Valentine's so I'm thinking I might try that as a special dinner for us. Probably make a cheesecake for dh.

I have made 2 for Griffin, and bought 2, and I made Callum's 1st cake. I usually make a cheesecake, or key lime pie for dh.

I'd love to, but we don't have an ice cream maker. Maybe that can be my Valentine's gift from DH. He loves homemade ice cream. We probably wouldn't have a prob with leftovers, knowing my crew it'd be all gone the 1st night.

Between $50 and $100. It varies a lot depending on what's on sale.

Blocks to shred my own.
    Dina
    10 7 4 3

Our family is complete.

saphire
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know I haven't really thought about it. Probably a special dessert. But not sure what we will do for the main meal.

for the kids we always have birthday parties and I buy their cakes, I don't know that I could bake one that big. For dh sometimes I bake one sometimes I buy one.

we have in the past but not lately.

anywhere from $50-$100. depending on what I am making for the week and what the sales are.

Shredded.

Lauriann in SD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I usually make some heart shaped cakes and bars. Hopefully dh will take me out to dinner tho!

Both, I have made them but will usually buy them if its for a party for someone!

I haven't, we used to make it when we were kids on the farm. oh, how I miss it!

About $75 (sometimes less, sometimes more)

I cheat and usually buy the pre shredded cheese! well sometimes we do buy the blocks tho. I like the shredded stuff for recipes.
    Lauriann Married 12 yrs (10-93) to DH *R*
    mom to beautiful K 10-01
    website
    click here to enjoy some fun!
    "Live each day as if it is your last."

susane
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

probably not, might go out for dinner

Make

I have beut don't usually

$50-75

5. Do you buy pre shredded cheese at the grocery store or blocks
    of cheese to shred your own?

I shred my own..
    Susan
    Jake 8 yrs old
    Tyler 6 yrs old

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe. DH and I always used to eat out on VDay. I guess we will order in since it's a Monday and I won't have time to cook something THAT special. Probably Thai, maybe sushi. Maybe we should get a babysitter. My parents will be here that weekend, I suppose they could watch them on Sunday.... but then I'll feel like I've neglected them.

2. Do you make or buy birthday cakes for your family? A combination. I suggested we make Karl's which is in a couple weeks. DH balked at the idea and said we'd get him a "good" one from our local bakery. I can see both sides... still undecided though since mom & Ella want to make him one.

3. Do you make homemade ice cream? Never have but I LOVE, love, love to eat it!

I don't go weekly.... I just go whenever and sometimes it's a LONG time in between, other times it might be 2-3 times in a week. Also, both DH and I pick up stuff here and there. Are you just asking for food, not baby products, cleaners, etc? If so- I will guess 100$. I could be SO far off! I really have no idea.

5. Do you buy pre shredded cheese at the grocery store or blocks of cheese to shred your own? I used to NEVER buy pre-shredded. Last night, I bought two bags of shredded. It's so lazy, but I have started cutting a few corners. Oh, and we made a huge mountain of nachos.... chips,salsa,cheese,chili,sour cream. SO good

Thank you for doing the Friday five!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PS- can you share that choco-hoto pots recipe again? I think I may make those for v-day- or my parents.
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I might make a better-than-ordinary meal, but I won't make a fancy dessert or anything like that.

I make them. It's just me, but I feel bakery desserts are a little impersonal. Of course I buy bakery desserts, but for special occasions I try to make something homemade.

No, but I really want to try this.

Oh my goodness! Enormous amounts. I would be even embarrased to post the amount here. Food is far more expensive in London than in the States, and I buy a lot of organic products. So I spend a LOT on groceries.

I buy blocks of cheese.
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast