FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Sex Linked Condition

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry

Sex Linked Condition

Sex-linked conditions are passed down through families on either the X or Y chromosome of their mother or father. X and Y chromosomes are sex chromosomes. If the embryo receives an X from your mother and father, it will become a girl. If the embryo receives an X from the mother and a Y from the father, it will become a boy. Chromosomes are matching pairs of genes of which each parent contributes half of the genetic material. Genes are located in the same location on each chromosome (which means that hair color is located in the same location on each chromosome).

X-linked diseases occur in males primarily. This is because males only have one X chromosome, and therefore only need one copy of the defective gene to show symptoms.

The chances of a mother and father having a child with the condition depends on if the mother and father are carriers, healthy carriers or if they possess the trait. For this reason, families may elect to limit their possibility of having a child with a sex-linked condition by selecting the sex of their embryo before it is transferred into the mother's body. This is done through preimplantation genetic diagnosis and is considered a medical reason for gender selection rather than solely for family balancing.

Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) has the ability to screen for the sex of the embryo, which allows for only embryos of the sex not affected to be transferred. PGD can also medically screen for the specific gene affected, or an array of genes.

Examples Include:
    Mother is a carrier and father has the trait: 25% chance of healthy boy, 25% chance of boy with trait, 25% chance of carrier girl and 25% chance of girl with trait
    Mother is carrier and father is a healthy carrier: 25% chance of healthy boy, 25% chance of boy with trait, 25% chance of healthy girl and 25% chance of carrier girl without trait
    Mother is a healthy carrier and father has the trait: 100% chance of a healthy boy and 100% chance of carrier girl without trait
    Mother has the trait and father has the trait: 100% chance of trait for boy or girl
    Me- 41 Secondary Infertility, Hydrosalpinx, DH- 26 No known defects
    My Own Eggs- IVF 10/12 BFN, IVF 12/12 BFN, FET 1/13 BFN, IVF 2/13 BFN
    Donor Eggs- IVF 4/13 Frozen Eggs BFN, IVF 7/13 Fresh Donor eSet BFN, FET 8/13 BFN; FET eSET 10/13 BFN; FET of 2 11/13 BFP, first beta 304, second 1106, third 10246 (5w4d pg) u/s shows ONE bean!

My blog - Normal People Don't Talk About This

2. Advertisement

Ririand
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the informative and interesting article. But I know that the PGD is quite expensive. I know that along with the technology of sex selection of the child, the entire cycle (that is, one attempt at embryo transplantation) costs 18 thousand dollars. Embryos of the "wrong" sex can be frozen. To use them in the future, or to give as a donor material to a infertile couple. Or sacrifice for scientific purposes (to improve the technology of using stem cells). After reviewing the information on the internet, I was surprised to find that 90% of couples are choosing the last option. But, nevertheless, I think that PGD is a necessity, and not just a fad. For example, PGD gives a chance to avoid hereditary diseases. After all, there are a number of hereditary diseases transmitted on the basis of sex (inheritance, linked to the sex). In addition, in some countries, girls are not welcome in the family. Here, for example, India. There are many poor families and they have nothing to offer their daughter's groom. She will not have a dowry, and dowry is very important for them. That's why the female infanticide (killing of infants-girls) is a phenomenon that is still widespread. In China, for example, there is a policy of "one family - one child". And married couples want to be guaranteed to conceive a boy. Therefore, this is an important option. Although, there are many people who criticize this. There are many people who are vehemently opposed to this. But, I believe that this option helps married couples, first of all, to avoid hereditary diseases. Therefore, I do not support those people who criticize PGD. But, it's such a complicated topic. But, I was very interested to learn more about this. Unfortunately, at the moment the price is still high. But I do not know in which countries, except for America, this option is still available. Special thanks for the examples you gave. I think this will be very useful for new users. Yes, and for active participants this information is useful. Your post is very informative By the way, this topic is very popular now.
    Last edited by Ririand; 03-28-2018 at 04:51 AM.