FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Help pulling the trigger to freeze eggs - so scared

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    crazyawesome
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Help pulling the trigger to freeze eggs - so scared

Hi Ladies!
    I am 35 (newly 35) I have been thinking of freezing my eggs for a few years and just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it. I have been through the rounds of fertility testing and have been told that I am ok to freeze my eggs.

I had my first ultrasound and labs on cycle day 3. AMH of 2.49, but a low follicle count of 9 (4 on the left, 5 on the right) the dr. said they like to see at least 10, but because my amh was good they will still freeze.

In my mind, 9 follicles = only 9 eggs. I also had my mind wrapped around 1 shot a day only to find out I will be giving myself 3 ( two in the belly, one in the thigh) and then the big daddy shot in the booty for trigger.

What experience have you ladies had with follicles vs. eggs retrieved?
    Would you go through the experience again?
    How did you get through the shots?
    Did you respond to the meds? I was told with a low follicle count there is the risk of not responding to the IVF drugs?

I have until the 17th of march to make my final decision on the egg freezing. I cant decide the doc also told me there is only a 4% chance of the frozen eggs making a baby? is this true?!

2. Advertisement

golauree
    - Our 8 year journey is finally complete. A son born in 2012 and B/G twins born in 2016!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    I don't have experience with egg freezing, but as an almost 35 year old myself, I would DEFINITELY freeze your eggs. Hate to say it, but us 35 year olds aren't getting any younger, and sadly, eggs from women reaching their 40s, are typically abnormal. So do not wait! As for antral follicle count, that changes each month. Maybe you had a bad month? If you can spare 90 days (not sure if you have to decide by 3/17) it might be-who of you to go on the egg quality supplement regimen to increase egg quality and quantity. I have a giant list of things I'd recommend. There is one thing on the list that you shouldn't take unless you have your DHEA level tested first. Ask to have your DHEA hormone tested, if it is low, you might benefit from going on DHEA supplements for quality AND quantity. I wish you luck!!!

Me 35 Hashis, MTHFR - My TTC Blog
    DH 37 0 Morph

TTC #1
    3 IUI (../'11) .... BFN
    IVF 1 (07/'11) 2 3d BFN
    FET 1 (11/'11) 1 5d BFP chem
    FET 2 (01/'12) 2 5d BFP DS

TTC #2
    IVF 2 (02/'14) 2 3d BFN
    FET 3 (05/'14) 2 3d BFP mc 6w6d
    IVF 3 (10/'14) IUI, BFN
    IVF 3 (01/'15) Freeze All
    FET 4 (04/'15) 2 5d BFN
    FET 5 (07/'15) 2 5d BFP mc 9w4d
    FET 6 (02/'16) 2 6d BFP TWINS!! Born 10/18

Esperanza77
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    crazyawesome Check the other thread under this Forum: "I've Frozen! Here are Some Tips". Other ladies and myself shared our experiences with egg freezing.

Yes, do it, but prepare yourself 3 months prior for it (3 months are what it takes to form the eggs you will be using at retrieval, you want to make sure those eggs are optimal). Read "it starts with the egg", I purchased mine via Amazon ($9.99). Lots of good advice. Get on a supplement diet (Omega 3, CoQ10, VitE, etc), change your diet (more protein, clean eating, reduce/elimiante trans fats), make sure your BMI is within normal limits.

"4% chance of the frozen eggs making a baby?"
    Never heard of such low statistics. There is a % of eggs that will not fertilize, and there is a % of eggs that will not become a 5 day embryo but 4% is lower than what I have seen. check SART statistics and check your clinic ratings. That will be very important (your clinic success rate is very important). http://www.sart.org/

Your questions:
    >>What experience have you ladies had with follicles vs. eggs retrieved?
    As the previous lady said, your follicle count depends on the month. My initial follicle count was 12, and my retrieval was ~12 and 10 mature. I think it should be a guide that you will be retrieving near that number, but I have seen stories in this forum where ladies extract a lot more of what their antral count was.

Yes. Do it. If you want to be a mom, and you are busy with your career, I think is a good investment for piece of mind. Again, you need to prepare for it. 3 months prior to starting injections.

Easy. You can do it. There is plenty of videos on youtube and read the stories of people doing it themselves. It doesnt really hurt.

Did you respond to the meds? I was told with a low follicle count there is the risk of not responding to the IVF drugs?

I am not a doctor, but I think your AMH and FSH are more telling on how you will react to the medication.

Good luck, inform yourself and you will do excellent. Your AMH is good. You can do this! =)
    DOB July'77 AMH 3.22 ng/mL: Sept2015 Extraction12; M 10; Antagonist 12d(Menopur/GonalF/Centrotite/Lupron ) 3 months Bc over supressed due to 1 cyst and miscommunication with clinic
    2nd:Jan2016. Cancelled, same protocol except waited 3 full days after bcpills to start injecting. High E & 4 HUGE follicles 3rd:March2016. Expecting 10 mature, 2 of biggest follicles were empty, 8M.

has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely recommend doing the freezing. Every year (every month even) counts. The process is not that bad. Good luck!

Hustle & Flow
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    What experience have you ladies had with follicles vs. eggs retrieved?

I'm a couple of days away from my retrieval procedure (first cycle). Honestly, it hasn't been bad at all and I'll gladly do it again (and will have to, since only 4-6 follicles look good).

My shots (Follistim/Menopur/Omnitrope/Ganirelix) have been much easier than I anticipated. A friend was giving them to me at the beginning of my cycle, but eventually I started administering them myself. I've always been terrified of needles and I NEVER thought I'd be doing this, but after I did the first one it was a breeze. The pain ranges from "I barely felt that" to "Ugh, it stings a bit!" It's never awful. I haven't taken my trigger shot yet, but I've found a good injection site and I'm not too worried about it.

(I still loathe blood draws and IVs. The daily injections are a lot easier and much less painful than that.)

My doctor expected me to get ~6 eggs from the beginning and it looks like that's about right. My AFC was 9 a few months prior to this and it was 6 immediately before starting. All of my numbers were pretty terrible for my age (27), but I'm responding just fine to stimulation.
    Last edited by Hustle & Flow; 03-18-2016 at 10:05 PM.