FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
I start my stim in a few weeks to freeze eggs!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

I start my stim in a few weeks to freeze eggs!

It's been so informative reading this board, I've gathered a ton more information. I had my baseline US and labs yesterday, I have 13 antral follicles and my FSH and estrogen levels were within desired limits. (I'm 32 yrs old). I'm hoping once I start stim maybe a few more follicles will pop up? With an antral count of 13 the max number of eggs I will get is 13, provided they all are decent eggs. The US tech said it's possible there are a few more follicles in there that are too small to see right now.

I was started on the birth control pill which I will take until stim starts beginning of April. The RE put me on the Antegon protocol (Ganirelix) instead of long lupron protocol, only because my period did not start in time for lupron protocol and they had to "jump-start" it with Provera (I have never ever ever been late with a period and I'm def not pregnant, so it has been a stressful few weeks and I'm ready to get off this emotional roller coaster!) I'm sure it's only going to get worse once I start the injections haha.

Ive gathered more info on clinics that have the best experience with frozen eggs, and I wish I would've known this before but it's too late to back out of this cycle and I really like my RE and her staff. Super super organized. She has good stats for normal IVF and my friends have used her and are pregnant or have had babies. As a bonus she is in network with my insurance which has helped a great deal with all the bloodwork, office visits, and ultrasounds.

I was able to speak to the embryologist today at RBA in Atlanta (this center has a ton of experience with frozen eggs/thawing/freezing them, and their egg donor program only does frozen now). I did not know about them when I started this whole process. He told me the art is in the freezing and that the thawing is the easy part as long as the eggs were frozen properly. But then he also told me that vitrification is standard procedure and standard technology and I know my local RE is using vitrification for my eggs. Since my local RE is a technology affiliate with My EGG Bank, that means they have been to Georgia to learn RBA's methods for egg vitrification and thawing. I"m really nervous that my eggs get vitrified properly.

Doing an cycle at RBA is not possible for me right now due to travel/work issues/$/insurance etc. I don't want to wait any longer to get a cycle done because my biological clock is ticking and according to my RE right now I'm completely normal and fertile. That could all change by the time I could coordinate and pay for a cycle at RBA so I've decided just to go ahead with this cycle, pray, and cross my fingers that I'm making the right choice. Hopefully down the road I could try a cycle at RBA. I will definitely be using them if/when I thaw these eggs to make a baby, but that won't be for at least 5 years (if I meet someone, I would try to get pregnant naturally first before dipping into my "stash.") Don't know how far technology will come with eggs in that time….

Sorry that was such a rambling msg, I have a lot on my mind…..anyone else freezing anytime soon? I know this board isn't as active as the IVF forums..

2. Advertisement

BC-StopTheClock
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ICU_RN,
    Good luck, vitrification is not practiced at every clinic in the country, but it's very good that your clinic does it! But I believe everyone does use the same vitrification process. It seems like your RE is great so I wouldn't worry. Which clinic are you with? If you are concerned about finances, but have some insurance coverage, you could chat with one of our egg freezing advocates at EggBanxx to see if there is a package to help offset the costs that are not picked up by the insurance provider.
    Hope that helps!
    In the early stages of freezing my eggs
    Advocate for all things fertility preservation
    A wealth of knowledge and resources for anyone considering fertility preservation

ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-StopTheClock View Post
    Hi ICU_RN,
    Good luck, vitrification is not practiced at every clinic in the country, but it's very good that your clinic does it! But I believe everyone does use the same vitrification process. It seems like your RE is great so I wouldn't worry. Which clinic are you with? If you are concerned about finances, but have some insurance coverage, you could chat with one of our egg freezing advocates at EggBanxx to see if there is a package to help offset the costs that are not picked up by the insurance provider.
    Hope that helps!
    Thanks! I already checked into EggBanx, my clinic does not participate. However, by the grace of God or a stroke of luck, my insurance covered my meds (even though they told me they wouldn't), so that really helped with cost! I told my nurse to send the prior auth anyway just to see what happened, and they covered it, shockingly! But I wasn't about to question it lol. My mom is loaning me $ for a portion of costs as well. She really wants grand babies…My sister, who is married, younger than me, and ready to start a family, has been diagnosed with unexplained infertility so that's a major factor in why my mom is so supportive of my decision.

BC-StopTheClock
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator

Post Thanks / Like
    That is great news about your insurance coverage! Smart move to have the nurse send the authorization - I will have to keep that in mind for myself. Keep in touch I would love to hear updates on your stim and how the process goes for you. Under 35 is ideal for egg freezing and the younger the better. Good luck!
    A wealth of knowledge and resources for anyone considering fertility preservation

BC-StopTheClock
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ICU_RN -
    Just wanted to check in and see how your egg freezing procedure went? Hope all is well and would love an update!

ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! Thanks for checking in- this egg freezing part of the forum usually isn't active so I figured I would quit posting lol.

I'm actually still "stimming." I'm on day 12 of stims (using antegon protocol: menopur, bravelle, and ganirelix). It was actually almost a week before I had any follicles over 10 but the doctor wasn't concerned. They said "slow and steady" is fine. Today I had 22 measurable follicles with the largest a 19 and smallest a 13. There were a few smaller "stragglers" too, which makes me happy because at the get-go my antral count was 13. I am starting to feel a little bit uncomfortable. I can actually feel my ovaries when I walk which is weird, and my belly is bloated.

If all continues to go well I will probably trigger with Ovidrel within the next few days with retrieval over the weekend…

So far my issues have been mostly emotional: lack of a support group( I am a single girl, no husband), and I really haven't told many friends, family, or coworkers what's going on. It's also driving me nuts I can't work out (I"m very active), drink coffee & alcohol, and make plans for more than a day in the future since I don't know when my next lab/ultrasound is, or definitively when retrieval is, thus do not know how long my recovery will take and when it will be. I think if I knew I was getting a baby at the end of all this it would be different (I know normal IVF-ers aren't guaranteed a baby either but my baby depends on meeting the right man or face single motherhood which I really don't want to do, and THEN hoping the eggs will work).

I thought I'd be more b*tchy and crying a lot like I was prior to starting stim, but with an estrogen level near 2,000 I seem to have leveled out a bit haha. I think it helps I'm responding well to stim protocol and something is finally going right in my life for once! Fingers crossed

HelpAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Hey ICU_RN,

22 follicles is GREAT! I hope your numbers get even better for retrieval.

Not sure if your doc mentioned this at all, but you should drink Gatorade and eat Saltines after retrieval to help alleviate the bloating/fluid in your abdomen. The more eggs they retrieve, the greater your risk for OHSS (though severe OHSS is rare).

Take care of yourself and good luck!

Kim
    IVF w/ICSI in April 2010=TWINS!
    SCH, IC, emergency cerclage at 22 weeks
    PTL at 32 weeks, made it to 36 weeks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby #3: PCOS, 9% morphology
    Provera and Pregnitude!

Twitter: @Griffiths1214

If you need information on multi-cycle savings and financing for IVF or egg freezing, contact our Patient Care Advocates for help or send us a message on our Facebook page.

Get Fertile Thoughts on your phone: Click for iPhone OR Android

click to visit my blog:

ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, got the call that I trigger tonight for retrieval on Sunday. My estrogen level has really shot through the roof the last couple days. It's near 5,000 and they've had to back off on my stim drugs even though I was on the lowest doses. Unfortunately, of the 22-ish follicles, only 14 of them are big enough. I have 10 small ones that are 13s, 12s, and 11s, which I was told by the nurse wouldn't grow any more from now until Sunday. I'm super upset. I know 14 is a good #, but realistically I know that not every follicle has an egg, and not all eggs are good or mature, so I will be lucky to get 8-10 good ones to freeze. If these were embryos that would be a great number. Being that eggs are so fragile though, I wanted to have a "stash" of about 20 or so to allow for failures when I go back to use them. I guess I just got over-excited when I found out I had 22 since my body reacted like a "young" persons, but in the end I guess not lol. Or maybe all the drugs are making me crazy emotional at this point? Either way I'm still grateful for the technology and ability to be able to do this, I guess I"ll just have to hope and pray for the best and suck it up when it comes time to go through my next cycle..

BC-StopTheClock
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator

Post Thanks / Like
    ICU_RN,
    How did the retrieval go and how are you feeling?
    Thinking of you!

ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Retrieval went well and I got 17 eggs! I was told today by the nurse that all were mature and all were frozen So relieved! My estrogen level today was under 500 (down from over 5,000), so I'm feeling a little bit more mentally sane…haha

I feel like crap but I would do it again. Bloated, sore/tender, and ultrasound today showed I have a lot of fluid in my abdomen. They are concerned about OHSS since my estrogen got so high and I had a high number of follicles. The RE said she is treating me like an egg donor and "shutting everything down." I have to do Ganirelix injections for 3 days, Dostinex pills for 7 days, and then she is having me do a pack of birth control pills to suppress everything (5 days post ER). I'm drinking a ton of gatorate, upping my protein intake, and measuring intake/output. I got hespan infusions during the ER and had to return today for another one, possibly a 3rd tomorrow.

I have read that the OHSS will subside once I get my period. However, I can't find any info on if it will subside once I start the BCP. I sure hope so, otherwise I will be dealing with this for 3 weeks lol. I did a search on this site and a google search but can't find info. I'm in the minority as most on this site go straight to ET or start another IVF cycle.

Thanks for checking in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast