FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Did insurance bill your egg freezing under an "infertility" code?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Did insurance bill your egg freezing under an "infertility" code?

From my understanding from speaking to several nurses at the clinic I plan on doing my egg freezing, the egg freezing process is a form of IVF (which I understand).

My insurance may cover partial cost of meds, and ultrasounds/bloodwork if I get a pre-approval, my concern is that since this is billed out as "infertility", how it will affect me with my insurance in the future?

For example, will they deny me coverage of birth control pills and such, if I've had an IVF procedure and been given an infertility diagnosis? Even though I"m technically not? Would I be better off not using my insurance for this?

Anyone else run into insurance problems during or after their procedure?

Most women who are doing the egg freezing electively are not technically infertile unlike a traditional couple who pursues IVF. The billing person I had a consult with told me that this is a form of IVF and is always billed out under an infertility code.

I know full well I will be paying the full cost of the retrieval procedure, but having the coverage for meds/ultrasounds/labs will save me a TON of money.

2. Advertisement

HelpAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Hi there ICU_RN,

I believe the consultation and initial blood work/ultrasound are billed like OB-GYN codes. The anesthesia should also be billed like an OB-GYN code. Egg freezing and IVF are two totally different things, so they shouldn't be billing your egg freezing testing/diagnostics as IVF codes. Where are you going for your egg freezing cycle? EggBanxx partners with clinics across the country and we can get you a discounted rate on the retrieval, in-cycle monitoring, and one year of storage. It is all bundled into a package rate. Feel free to send me an email kim@fertilityauthority.com if you would like more information

Your insurance might cover you medications as well, which is obviously helpful! I can have you speak with someone on my team who is familiar with coding if you'd like.

Talk to you soon,
    Kim
    IVF w/ICSI in April 2010=TWINS!
    SCH, IC, emergency cerclage at 22 weeks
    PTL at 32 weeks, made it to 36 weeks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby #3: PCOS, 9% morphology
    Provera and Pregnitude!

Twitter: @Griffiths1214

If you need information on multi-cycle savings and financing for IVF or egg freezing, contact our Patient Care Advocates for help or send us a message on our Facebook page.

Get Fertile Thoughts on your phone: Click for iPhone OR Android

click to visit my blog:

ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kim,

I've already checked into EggBanx and the closest facility in the program is a full state away Which is a shame because it sounds like a great program!

lilmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have to pay 1000 to freeze for the first year- it'll be 800 the following year

Redress
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Egg and embryos frozen

Insurance in Illinois won't cover the actual freeing and defrosting but will cover the medical procedures. our hospital used a fertility code with the sperm extraction, and we got a huge bill as a result for that, but after arguing with the hospital they resubmitted the insurance under probably a more generic hospital stay code since that was what the bill was for. that saved us about 5 grand.

We froze 20 eggs from a 31 year old. About half of her eggs made it successfully to embryos that could be frozen. So we're left with 3 embryos that will be either adopted or discarded. I'll have to come to terms with any discarding of embryos since I believe that "Every life is sacred." Can't keep them frozen for more than a year or two since insurance won't cover that fee. Illinois has the "Family Building Act" for now, although some Puritan minded Republicans are trying to get rid of that insurance law since they are religiously against IVF. One of my first cousins is one of them. He can eat it. Won't invite any of his pinheaded people to my child's christening. So take advantage of insurance while you can

Quote Originally Posted by ICU_RN View Post
    From my understanding from speaking to several nurses at the clinic I plan on doing my egg freezing, the egg freezing process is a form of IVF (which I understand).

My insurance may cover partial cost of meds, and ultrasounds/bloodwork if I get a pre-approval, my concern is that since this is billed out as "infertility", how it will affect me with my insurance in the future?

For example, will they deny me coverage of birth control pills and such, if I've had an IVF procedure and been given an infertility diagnosis? Even though I"m technically not? Would I be better off not using my insurance for this?

Anyone else run into insurance problems during or after their procedure?

Most women who are doing the egg freezing electively are not technically infertile unlike a traditional couple who pursues IVF. The billing person I had a consult with told me that this is a form of IVF and is always billed out under an infertility code.

I know full well I will be paying the full cost of the retrieval procedure, but having the coverage for meds/ultrasounds/labs will save me a TON of money.