FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Can a "regular" IVF clinic be successful at freezing eggs?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! I'm new here and so glad I found this forum for support. I'm in the beginning stages of egg freezing.

I do not live near any clinics who freeze eggs electively on a regular basis (that I know of). Most of the freezing that takes place around here is in the form of embryos. I've went for consults at 2 different offices; both places did not do much elective egg freezing but were very experienced with egg retrievals for traditional IVF.

The clinic I think I will go with was recommended by several friends who have had successful IVF there. The doctor and staff are great and super organized. They do collect donor eggs but those are fresh transfer from donor to recipient. Most of their freezing is in the form of embryos, but they do offer the vitrification method for oocytes. As a bonus they are in-network with my insurance so I will have partial coverage on monitoring/bloodwork/ultrasounds.

Am I doing myself a disservice by going here? I know the process of egg retrieval is the same as an IVF cycle, except I will stop after the egg retrieval portion instead of going forward and making an embryo. My main concern should be to get as many good eggs as possible right? And this doctor would be doing that with a normal IVF patient. So do success rates mean anything in my case? I have not been able to find success rates for egg retrieval and freezing, only for embryo transfers but does not apply to me at this time.

My thinking is that I can get these eggs frozen, and if and when I turn to IVF and use them, the clinic I choose at that time (the time of baby making lol) should be the one I look for with the high pregnancy success rates, right? Because that is who will thaw and inseminate the eggs. The egg retrieval portion is the "easy" part, correct?

Make sense? lol

Thanks for any help!

2. Advertisement

agr72
    Wants to get this show on the road!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

I personally would not go to a clinic that did not have a lot of experience with egg freezing. It's a lot harder/more delicate process than embryo freezing. You're spending a lot of money on this, not to mention betting your future fertility and children on the fact that they know what they are doing. And you won't even know if it really worked until you go to use the eggs. I'd really hate to have that 'oops' moment when the RE tells you they didn't thaw properly or fertilize.

In my opinion, and I'm certainly not an RE, egg freezing is still something of an art. If they don't do it a lot, it's a crap shoot on whether it will work. I did a frozen donor egg cycle last year with my local RE. They had a great lab but not a lot of experience with frozen eggs. They were sent the eggs by My Egg Bank (who has been doing frozen DE for years and is an expert) and just needed to thaw and fertilize them. Well, of the 6 eggs only 3 thawed properly and only 2 fertilized. Ended with a BFN. In contrast, someone I 'met' on a forum who was using eggs from the same donor batch had her eggs thawed and fertilized by My Egg Bank. She had all thaw and fertilize and got pregnant with twins.

So, my lesson from this was, if you're doing frozen eggs, make sure they know what they are doing. I didn't ask questions till afterwards and turns out my RE had only been working with frozen eggs for a year.

Good luck with what you decide. Would it be possible to do the egg banking at a place further away, but do monitoring appointments at the local RE? A lot of people do that when they want to see a specific RE who is too far away for daily travel.
    Last edited by agr72; 02-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
    Me: 42, AMH = 0.32
    DH: 39
    DS - born 7/12 from IUI No. 2

Trying for No. 2
    IVF 1 - May 2013
    6 eggs, 3 fertilized and made to day 5 blast
    Transfer 1 Grade A - BFP - missed m/c at 8 weeks

FET - 11/27/13 - 2 frosties - BFN
    Frozen DE cycle - April 2014 - BFN
    One last shot...Fresh DE at Shady Grove
    Transfer 1 EBCC embryo 11/28/14 - BFP!

ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your input, thank you! The clinic I want to use is actually a technology affiliate through My Egg Bank. So that is good, right?

When you said My EGG Bank unfroze your friend's eggs, do you mean an affiliate fertility center through them did? Maybe I need to re-clarify with the office on how much of this they actually do. Perhaps I misunderstood them. I know the doctor does a lot of donor egg cycles because my friend who became pregnant used a donor egg through this doctor. I want to say the egg was fresh not frozen though.

I think the elective egg freezing process is just starting to become mainstream, especially after Apple and Facebook announced they would pay for their employees to do it. I think it will be hard to find a clinic that has much experience with it, especially where I live (Michigan). I don't really think it would be feasible for me to drive to Ohio even if I did local monitoring, and I don't know if I would be able to find a doc that would do that (allow local monitoring, or who would do just the local monitoring).
    Likes noanoa liked this post

lilone2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ICU_RN View Post
    I appreciate your input, thank you! The clinic I want to use is actually a technology affiliate through My Egg Bank. So that is good, right?

When you said My EGG Bank unfroze your friend's eggs, do you mean an affiliate fertility center through them did? Maybe I need to re-clarify with the office on how much of this they actually do. Perhaps I misunderstood them. I know the doctor does a lot of donor egg cycles because my friend who became pregnant used a donor egg through this doctor. I want to say the egg was fresh not frozen though.

I think the elective egg freezing process is just starting to become mainstream, especially after Apple and Facebook announced they would pay for their employees to do it. I think it will be hard to find a clinic that has much experience with it, especially where I live (Michigan). I don't really think it would be feasible for me to drive to Ohio even if I did local monitoring, and I don't know if I would be able to find a doc that would do that (allow local monitoring, or who would do just the local monitoring).
    I am not an expert but from reading, I get the impression that the art is mostly in the thawing. Vitrification is a flash freeze and it seems to me like the less risky part. Perhaps you could have them freeze your eggs at the clinic you are looking for and then have them thawed by a more experienced clinic when the time comes? Personally, I chose a clinic a few hours away and did local monitoring appointments. Originally, I did this because the closest clinics don't offer elective egg freezing. I found out afterward, though, that my clinic was the first one in the country (I'm Canadian) to have a live birth from frozen eggs (pre-vitrification method) and was at the forefront of the recent advances. It gives me some peace of mind to know that I am working with experienced people.

ICU_RN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lilone2, that is exactly what I was hoping: that vitrification is vitrification and as long as we retrieve the eggs, I can deal with the thawing expertise later. I wonder if the vitrification process is very much different btwn eggs vs embryos. As it stands, I turn 32 in a month and am completely single, so I"m assuming those eggs are going to be frozen for a while! Hopefully in those years my eggs are frozen, new technologies are developed that make the thawing process even more successful.

lilone2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lilone2, that is exactly what I was hoping: that vitrification is vitrification and as long as we retrieve the eggs, I can deal with the thawing expertise later. I wonder if the vitrification process is very much different btwn eggs vs embryos. As it stands, I turn 32 in a month and am completely single, so I"m assuming those eggs are going to be frozen for a while! Hopefully in those years my eggs are frozen, new technologies are developed that make the thawing process even more successful.
    I think there is a good chance that there will be improvements over the next few years since it is an area of focus for them and egg freezing is getting a lot of talk. Good on you for freezing at such a good age. I waited until I was 37, which is the latest they will allow it. Luckily, I was able to get 15 mature eggs that appear to be good quality but I know that I will still have a higher rate of non euploid embryos when I end up thawing the eggs, simply due to my age at retrieval.

Good luck with your stimming and freezing process! Please keep us posted with your progress

noanoa
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine

agree- egg freezing is becoming more popular now. Although in Europe I know mamy ladies,who travel to other countries to visit better (with higher success rate) ivf clinics. Indeed in a country where I live (Poland) there is only one clinic (ivf) that proposes egg freezing programme. And the programme has been launched only some months ago. As a clinic has done ivf programmes with one of the best success rate in Europe for many years, I suppose the clinic has good staff, managers, researchers etc. That's what I want to say if any good ivf clinic proposes egg freezing programme, the clinic will probably be doing that egg freezing programme as well as ivf.

jugde
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all! I'm new here and so glad I found this forum for support. I'm in the beginning stages of egg freezing.

I do not live near any clinics who freeze eggs electively on a regular basis (that I know of). Most of the freezing that takes place around here is in the form of embryos. I've went for consults at 2 different offices; both places did not do much elective egg freezing but were very experienced with egg retrievals for traditional IVF.

The clinic I think I will go with was recommended by several friends who have had successful IVF there. The doctor and staff are great and super organized. They do collect donor eggs but those are fresh transfer from donor to recipient. Most of their freezing is in the form of embryos, but they do offer the vitrification method for oocytes. As a bonus they are in-network with my insurance so I will have partial coverage on monitoring/bloodwork/ultrasounds.

Am I doing myself a disservice by going here? I know the process of egg retrieval is the same as an IVF cycle, except I will stop after the egg retrieval portion instead of going forward and making an embryo. My main concern should be to get as many good eggs as possible right? And this doctor would be doing that with a normal IVF patient. So do success rates mean anything in my case? I have not been able to find success rates for egg retrieval and freezing, only for embryo transfers but does not apply to me at this time.

My thinking is that I can get these eggs frozen, and if and when I turn to IVF and use them, the clinic I choose at that time (the time of baby making lol) should be the one I look for with the high pregnancy success rates, right? Because that is who will thaw and inseminate the eggs. The egg retrieval portion is the "easy" part, correct?

Make sense? lol

Thanks for any help!
    nice post. i like it