FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Anyone have egg harvesting while awake, with local freezing?

lilone2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

I am planning on having eggs harvested and frozen at Life Quest in Toronto, Canada. The clinic doesn't use an anesthesiologist (the doctor I spoke to says they have never had the need in all the years they have been doing IVF) and uses local freezing and some medication to make you calm. I'm not feeling all that calm about this idea and would like to know if anyone else has had eggs harvested while they were awake? If so, can you tell me what the local was like (where do they inject? Is it very painful?) and generally what the process was like for you?

Also, can anyone tell me if you felt able to work the following day (regardless of being awake for harvesting or not)? Were you "period-type" bloated or "I need new pants" kind of bloated, and for how long?

2. Advertisement

hopesforbebe
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Hi lilone2. I live in Montreal Quebec and they do IVF the same way as Toronto. I had 3 egg retrieval awake with meds (Ativan) and had some local anesthesia. It's not that bad. It is a bit painful I won't lie but your so drugged out. My DH drives me home after I go straight to bed and when I wake up it's almost like a distant memory. Again the drugs were good. I find the pain is more intense after the retrieval. I was surprised when I found out that in the states they actually put you to sleep for the procedure.
    The procedure lasts 5 mins at most it's over quickly. Make sure to have DH by your side to squeeze his hand though. Hope this reassured you and if you have more questions don't hesitate. GL to you

lilone2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the information. It really helps to know what to expect since fear is the biggest problem. I'm fairly scared because I have a vulval pain condition and I'm going through it all by myself. I'm freezing eggs due to my age and being single. A friend is going to drive me but no one to hold my hand. I desperately want to be asleep but they just don't do it that way.

Can I ask you how many times they need to puncture the vaginal wall? Did they just do it once for you and get all eggs at once? Does the freezing take place inside the body via needle? I feel so ignorant still and it is approaching quickly. I'm only a couple of months from being too old so it's now or never!

Thanks again for the response,

Lil.

Quote Originally Posted by hopesforbebe View Post
    Hi lilone2. I live in Montreal Quebec and they do IVF the same way as Toronto. I had 3 egg retrieval awake with meds (Ativan) and had some local anesthesia. It's not that bad. It is a bit painful I won't lie but your so drugged out. My DH drives me home after I go straight to bed and when I wake up it's almost like a distant memory. Again the drugs were good. I find the pain is more intense after the retrieval. I was surprised when I found out that in the states they actually put you to sleep for the procedure.
    The procedure lasts 5 mins at most it's over quickly. Make sure to have DH by your side to squeeze his hand though. Hope this reassured you and if you have more questions don't hesitate. GL to you

hopesforbebe
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    All the eggs get harvested at once and it takes like 5 minutes. It's sort like a giant needle they insert to pop and they retrieve it with a sort of vacuum. Honestly your so drugged up that you don't realize what's going on really. It's ok if your alone because you are drugged up and there will be a nurse there. You cannot drive home though you will still be drugged and all you'll want to do is go home and sleep. Honestly I found it painful the next 2 days after. Your very sore and it's bad cramping. Sometimes I had more pain then others but I hope you can rest at home after. Trust your doctor and team they've done it a million times. The good news is that the actual egg harvesting is over quickly. Also trust the drugs. It will be over before you know it.
    Btw my first egg harvesting was to freeze them too.
    Thanks lilone2 thanked for this post

lilone2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the procedure a week ago. Despite Ativan and the drugs they gave via IV, I didn't feel any drug effects and it seemed as if I might as well have been without. They gave me meds without epinephrine due to a heart rhythm condition so that could have something to do with it. That said, it wasn't really that bad. They had to puncture once for each ovary, although they used some topical first. The first puncture did hurt but just for a second. I hardly felt the second one. My procedure took a half and hour because of how many eggs I had but it wasn't bad at all. You were very right about the harder part coming afterward. All in all, it was very doable and I would suggest it to others in my position, who are single and don't want to close the door on children. The only downfall is that I have no idea what kind of quality my eggs are, and won't until I decided to use them one day. Here's hoping they are good ones!

lilone2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopesfor bebe, have you used your eggs yet or have you decided to do fresh cycles while you can and use the eggs as a last resort? If you used them, did any make it? I know it is experimental and success rates are hard to come by. I got 15 mature eggs but know that by the time you thaw, fertilize and wait for day 5, most...if not all...could be gone. Had to take the chance though in order to know that I did what I could.

hopesforbebe
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Hi there,

I've done 3 egg retrievals in total. First 2 no embryos were made but because of sperm issues. 3rd in November 2013 we managed to make 13 good embryos. There was one fresh transfer after it didn't take. Then did a 2 frozen transfers in February and May didn't work. In July I had 3 frozen left (we did lose some along the way) when I went in August 1st we lost one and transfered the last 2. It was the first time they allowed me to transfer too because I'm 32 years old. I am now 23 week pregnant with twins!! It was a long journey and finally reached the end result. No more embies left and don't need them no more Good luck to you don't be shy to ask me questions

lilone2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hopesforbebe View Post
    Hi there,

I've done 3 egg retrievals in total. First 2 no embryos were made but because of sperm issues. 3rd in November 2013 we managed to make 13 good embryos. There was one fresh transfer after it didn't take. Then did a 2 frozen transfers in February and May didn't work. In July I had 3 frozen left (we did lose some along the way) when I went in August 1st we lost one and transfered the last 2. It was the first time they allowed me to transfer too because I'm 32 years old. I am now 23 week pregnant with twins!! It was a long journey and finally reached the end result. No more embies left and don't need them no more Good luck to you don't be shy to ask me questions
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! That is wonderful news
    Thanks hopesforbebe thanked for this post

tastami
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it worked out for you. It definitely gives us who are still out there trying hope. Thanks for sharing!
    @hopeforbebe
    Last edited by tastami; 07-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.