FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Transfer of frozen eggs from one facility to another (success and failure mentioned)

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nut Mommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Transfer of frozen eggs from one facility to another (success and failure mentioned)

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has done any research into transferring your previously frozen eggs from one facility to another.

Brief background: My RE's clinic charges $1500 per year to store frozen eggs, which is the same amount that they charged me to store my (now gone) frozen embryos. I've done a little bit of research and there are a lot of places that seem to charge more in the range of $500 per year. Having recently gone through three failed cycles using my frozen embryos leftover from my one and only fresh cycle (and having that end with my RE saying that he thinks we might want to consider the surrogate route if we want to continue), I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I am at the end of my fertility journey, and I am happy with and blessed by what I have. But my husband is not as willing to give up the dream (and while I am 95% certain I'm done, there's still that 5%). I'd like to continue storing the eggs, at least for a little while. $500 per year is a lot easier to swallow than $1500. I found one place in CA that seems to accept transfers, but wondering how to find anything more local (I am in PA). Also wondering if there would be any issues with my RE if I ship the eggs away and then decide I want to come back. Has anyone looked into this?

Thanks!
    Me - 38, DH - 39, DS #1 - 7, DS #2 - 3 1/2 (IVF baby)
    Secondary infertility - Severe male factor led to successful IVF #1
    3 failed frozen cycles have me thinking I'm done

2. Advertisement

HelpAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Hi Nut Mommy,

Have you looked into storing them at a cryobank? It is likely much cheaper there since that is what they do. I do believe you could ship them back to your clinic if you choose to pursue them in the future. If you store them at another clinic, you may be expected to cycle there.

Best of luck!
    Kim
    IVF w/ICSI in April 2010=TWINS!
    SCH, IC, emergency cerclage at 22 weeks
    PTL at 32 weeks, made it to 36 weeks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby #3: PCOS, 9% morphology
    Provera and Pregnitude!

Twitter: @Griffiths1214

If you need information on multi-cycle savings and financing for IVF or egg freezing, contact our Patient Care Advocates for help or send us a message on our Facebook page.

Get Fertile Thoughts on your phone: Click for iPhone OR Android

click to visit my blog:

BC-leahjane
    BC-leahjane
    has no status.
    Edit
    Good morning,
    This is a great question. I do know it is very possible to transfer your eggs from facility to facility and I do not blame you for wanting to store someone less than $1500 a year. That seems very high to me. Even the top clinics in NYC are less than that. I know a few clinics in NYC that are $500 a year but not sure about PA. I am happy to contact RMAof Philly or Mainline in Philly as well.

I am happy to help

Nut Mommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks BC-leahjane. Mainline is actually my clinic. I have been trying to get in touch with the financial coordinator to see if $1500 is really the price to store frozen eggs, or if that is just something that the billing office believes. This seems especially high since the fee to store my husband's sperm is only $300 per year. I think my next step once I confirm (assuming it is really that high) will be to call my RE directly and tell him that I'm going to move them unless they cut the fees, and see what he says. I believe this is all profit for them anyway, so he may be willing to work with me.

BC-leahjane
    BC-leahjane
    has no status.
    Edit
    You are talking about freezing your eggs correct? Just making sure I didn't mis read and you said Embryo's. I believe after the first year (which is included) it is $600 a year. I am happy to double check and call for you.

Good luck!!

Nut Mommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, eggs, not embryos. I had both eggs and embryos that were being stored but used my last frozen embryo in January, so now I only have eggs. They were charging me $1500 a year for the embryo storage and had never called out the egg storage as a separate fee. When I got the new bill (having used up my embies), I called and was told the fee was now for eggs, not embryos. Maybe the billing office just didn't know that the fees were different for the two. I tried calling the financial coordinator, but she was out on vacay, so I will follow up. Will let you know how it turns out, but $600 is definitely better than $1500!!

BC-leahjane
    BC-leahjane
    has no status.
    Edit
    I bet that is what happened. Yes, I would definitely reach back out to make sure the billing department didn't make a mistake.

Let me know what you dig up

PaleoMama
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    dear nut mommy,

i totally understand your questions. look, freezing eggs is not a problem (this you did already).
    also transferring them from one facility to another is OK (apart from financial issues...)
    what is really tricky when it comes to eggs is THAWING.

eggs are HUGE and ice crystals/chemical rests can hurt them as they thaw
    many of them are then not able to get fertilized or give viable embryos,
    so what one really has to consider is the quality/expertize of the laboratory, embryologists working there etc.

here is a great brochure, one of my favorite resources on eggs. it is quite short and towards the end there are many details on thawing:
    http://www.infertile.com/brochures/Biological_Clock.pdf
    Not often in forum and not entitled to give medical advice - no PM, please! Welcome to my blog:
    Get pregnant after 35
    MY e-BOOK: How to Improve Egg Quality

Nut Mommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    BC-LeahJane, wanted to circle back on this. I found out that MLF actually charges $750 per year for storage (somehow I'd doubled in my mind what I paid last year). The $1500 was for the freezing and first year of storage, but it was and is $750 in subsequent years. Plus another $300 for sperm storage, of course...

DH thinks I should call and ask my doctor to lower the fees. My experience with them is that the financial office will give you the prices but does not actually have any authority over anything, only the doctors can make the financial decisions for the practice. So, I'm thinking about calling and talking to my doctor directly, but I hate asking for things like this. Yes, we live in a very affluent area, and yes I could afford to pay $750 if I really wanted to, but that doesn't mean I want to get ripped off. Between one IVF/fresh cycle and 3 FET cycles, plus freezing and storage fees, I definitely feel like I've contributed to the financial success of MLF!
    Thanks HelpAtFertilityAuthority thanked for this post

HelpAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    NutMommy, You absolutely should give them a call and see what they can do for you. I mean unless they are using an outside storage facility for the eggs (which I don't believe is the case with Main Line). I know all of the docs there, Glassner, Orris, and Brasile, are SOOOOO sweet and very accommodating. Eileen, the research coordinator, is a DOLL. I know this post was a few months ago, so I hope you come back and update.

Also worth noting: Main Line Fertility now participates in our egg freezing savings program, EggBanxx. You can ask me or BC-leahjane for more information. We've negotiated lower costs on egg freezing cycles and storage, so if you are deciding to freeze your eggs again, you might want to check it out!

Kim
    IVF w/ICSI in April 2010=TWINS!
    SCH, IC, emergency cerclage at 22 weeks
    PTL at 32 weeks, made it to 36 weeks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby #3: PCOS, 9% morphology
    Provera and Pregnitude!

Twitter: @Griffiths1214

If you need information on multi-cycle savings and financing for IVF or egg freezing, contact our Patient Care Advocates for help or send us a message on our Facebook page.

Get Fertile Thoughts on your phone: Click for iPhone OR Android

click to visit my blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast